AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 313 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually, all that did was create quality control issues for Toyota, and the facade of their brand image is cracking and chipping away.

For example:

Toyota has had more recalls in the last 10 years, than any single automaker in the history of the auto industry all time (talking last 10 years versus all time totals of other makers). They are in the Guiness Book of World Records for it...Toyota have recalled more than 30 million cars worldwide in the last 10 years.

Still think it's working well for them...? I don't.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Well, if you are selling tons of things on low margins, and, you discover a costly flaw that could potentially be an issue later down the road, what do you do? Let's say fixing that flaw would cost you millions of dollars when you're making pennies on the dollar. See how QC can become such an issue with low margins? You're not making enough money to maintain the product.

EDIT: Let's not forget Toyota's High Margin brand: Lexus. As even they know you can't live off small margins alone.

ROFLMAO. Are you saying you're a mod under disguise or something? That's a BAN offense, you know?

Anyway, really, your ego is not letting you see your own faults. If we suck at reading (a big "if"), you suck bad a good manners and writing your own ideas.

I would really like to ask for a vacation for you, since you're being way too rude and don't appreciate people's effort to explain things to you. Maybe in that time you can grow up a little and learn to express your ideas a little better.

Cheers!

Found this, published today in XBitlabs:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20131003232053_AMD_Mantle_Is_Proprietary_Now_But_It_Will_Become_Widely_Available_to_Others.html

"It is interesting to note that Mantle was generally a joint project between AMD and game developer DICE (a subsidiary of Electronic Arts). The first fruits of Mantle will be renderer for Battlefield 4 as well as renderers for other Frostbite 3 engine-based titles (new Command and Conquer, Need for Speed Rivals, etc.)."

Cheers!

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Again, Chilenian site Claims Xbone and PS4 are not based on Jaguar, not even on the Puma Arch:

http://www.chw.net/2013/10/amd-el-apu-de-las-consolas-playstation-4-y-xbox-one-no-esta-basado-en-jaguar/

"Dado que sabemos que la micro-arquitectura Jaguar tendrá por sucesora a Puma, intentamos que se nos revele si se trataba de esta última, pero AMD se limitó a respondernos que aunque no pueden revelar detalles exactos, nos pueden confirmar que los APU de las consolas tampoco están basados en Puma."

Translates to (my own translation):

"Since we know the Jaguar uArch will be succeeded by Puma, we asked if that was the case, but AMD told us they can not reveal the exact details and just can confirm the console APUs are not Puma either."

So, basically the APU inside consoles is something beyond Jaguar, but they won't say where it lands performance wise.

Cheers!

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I think I'll take AMDs and Microsofts word over some Chilean website.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Lol, Microsoft doesn't know weather they make products for PCs and Tablets any more. AMD doesn't know if they're releasing high end CPUs for AM3+ or FM2+. What makes you so sure that their word is sound?

2013 Common sense= oearvovruouvewvewobuoeouevuevubovebuveubevawoovrenoreonnoirrireoieoirieiebeiibiieypht[c[ ,cx x
>?[[[pvw[pcd[w'wc\\wwv\\]vew\v\;]ve]\e\]wv\];we]wevwe\\wev\evb[rg[org[k969i---NEIN\fenpefopepovpoevopevojpvewowoevooevoevoevovovewooHACKnjejopevopjvovojojveojpvepoveopjojvepojveoERMEHGAWDonveiewewvivewiveiveiiveivewiveihvewihvweihvwiivwiwvihwviowvhivivioiivievihewievihihevihvewieihihvehivewhievivihwpvhvpvhwphpoivrawiwveaeioeio908[y40i6he0h555h-5-5-\=5=5h4e=h5hp5koh54wkhokhBULLDOZERSAWCKSERMEHGAWD
/derp
Basically, lets wait for somebody to tear apart the consoles.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

LOL! Turns out they're actually running a PD based CPU @2GHz. I'd be completely happy with a 20nm PD. As long as it's still far cheaper than intel. I'd go out and buy a AM3+ ROG board if it was official. In fact, I think I will. I might be able to get higher clocks out of my 840 xD Even though 3.6 is pretty fast for these weak cores.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Well on a side note. :p
lol
All you guys were right with the h100i, and it's amazing how much you were right. ^_^ I couldn't fit the fans for the h100i in my case, so i kinda had to put them outside... But I had them in push going in and the max temp I got was about 75ºC. Ever since I flopped them to be pull going out, I have yet to see it go above 65ºC. My CPU did go about 2-4 degrees higher, but that didn't really affect anything.

My CPU has yet to go above 45ºC at stock clock. :D

Thanks again for everyone that helped me. It's all good. I think 150 FPS on BF3 Max settings is fine for me ^_^.

What is your full specs and pics?

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
BF4 is a pain in the brass with my current CPU. I'm barely getting 30FPS on medium settings. Screw the i7. I need a upgrade now. Lol, Still gonna push upgrading as far back as I can. I can tell you this, I don't know what the exact utilization numbers are, but the fan on my h50 was blowing air like a friggin blow dryer... normally doesn't do that. Even when I run Bioshock Infinite on ultra at 1080P.

And yes Gomer, Now you're talking! Full specs and pics! I wanna see! :D

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Either you don't read well, rocks, or you are just trolling. A pair of posts ago I was discussing with other two posters the possibility that AMD releases for 2014 a refresh of Piledriver FX CPUs, in a similar way how Warsaw uses a refreshed Piledriver for replacing high-end Opterons. A link to a news site was also given. As hapiduuuur you ignore everything that doesn't fit in your own created reality. It is very funny.

What you say about roadmaps is also false. Besides all the talks that AMD has given this year (From Computex early this year to Hot Chips a pair of weeks ago), AMD has released embedded and server roadmaps as well.

Meanwhile an updated BF4 beta benchmark that includes Centurion FX is ready

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4_Beta-test-bf_4_proz_2.jpg

Note: the 9590 was simulated with an OC 9370. Real 9590 will achieve less FPS.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
About the rumour of a Piledriver refresh for the desktop. After seeing how well Centurion chips score in BF4, I have been considering the idea that fully functional resonant clock mesh would benefit more to the 9000 series than to the 8000. AMD could decrease significantly the power consumption of the 9000 and/or increase their OC potential or base freq.

Note: for all ARM haters, some recent rumours point to AMD will be releasing ARM tablets. If the rumour is right, then AMD will be also replacing jaguar by ARM on the ultra-mobile market (Temash --> ARM).

http://techreport.com/news/25461/report-amd-to-introduce-arm-based-tablet-chip-this-year

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285 + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877 + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029 (Optional)
THE BOTTLE IS OPENING!
http://www.hwinfo.com/index.php If it is not 90%+, the Phenom II must be donated to the HTPC and server cause MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
PS: Don't get a new monitor before you can really get good FPS.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Woah, 5ghz OCed $200 FX 8350 beating stock $1000+ Intel EE edition.

In before "MUH POEWR CONSUMPOOOTTTIONZZZ!!"

4ghz to 5ghz is a 25% increase in clock speed. If AMD released FX SR with 20% IPC increase over PD, STOCK FX 4m/8c part would do that to Intel EE in BF4.

You guys still think AMD is just gonna walk away from this market when they can be this competitive in a next gen game? AMD's high end gaming platform is literally right here and they have the stuff to make it happen right now, even without SR.

This is why I say AMD isn't walking away from high end x86 CPUs. They have the software under their control and they're getting software developers to write for their hardware and not Intel's. It'd be completely idiotic to squander this. BF4 is just the tip of the iceberg of what we're going to see in the future.

Oh, but no, AMD just released an expensive, high end CPU as a last hurrah and not to establish some sort of halo product.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

The ROG 990FX is going for $203 on amazon right now. I think I'll pick up the CPU first and wait for the Gen 3 Sabertooth to come back in stock. If they don't come by the time I pop in a new MoBo, I'd like a ROG. I've got a AM3+ board already, so I think I can afford to hold out a bit. Plus the 8320 is going for $140.

I think I'll try updating to the newest drivers for now. I had a friend with a phenom x4 system and he said there was a BIG difference in the BF4 Beta frame latency and FPS.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

LOL! You're on point. So on point. This just goes to show, all of us that said AMD is a good option for future proofing were right.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Like you have any room to try and insult people about created realities. This sais your whole stance right here:

AMD no releasing FX steamroller is good news for _me_ because AMD can spend more resources to important stuff such as APUs, HSA, MANTLE, better linux drivers, high-performance ARM chips...

who is the one wishful thinking? who is the one hoping AMD abandons HEDT, x86, and performance for software based cpu hardware?

Note: for all ARM haters, some recent rumours point to AMD will be releasing ARM tablets. If the rumour is right, then AMD will be also replacing jaguar by ARM on the ultra-mobile market (Temash --> ARM).

Releasing an ARM based product doesn't mean abandoning current software compatibility. ARM CAN'T run x86 software. AMD would be stupid to just allow Intel to take over x86 tablets with Atom considering Temash/Kabini is already faster than Atom.

AMD no releasing FX steamroller is good news for _me_ because AMD can spend more resources to important stuff such as APUs, HSA, MANTLE, better linux drivers, high-performance ARM chips...

ARM is important for you, not for the entire PC industry.

Just get the 8320 and hold out for the Crosshair V Formula-Z. Your current board should support it, so get it ASAP, screw deh 1440p, gimmeh frames!

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Case: Ultra Rogue m925 (couldn't fit Corsair fans inside, so they are outside).
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
CPU: i5-3570k (TPU switch on Mobo is on so instead of 3.8 boost, it now has 4.2 boost).
Cooler: Corsair H100i (fans pulling outside. CPU even with boost, has not exceeded 45ºC.)
GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DCUII
Core: 1260
Memory: 7350
(With current setup, has yet to exceed 65ºC even with Unigine Heaven on absolute max. [didn't drop below 26 FPS on that btw ^_^]).
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance SDRAM 1866 (clocked @1885 due to TPU switch and it recognizing it @1333 for some reason o_O).
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM (through Sata 6GB/s)
OD: ASUS DVD/CD+RW (Sata 6GB/s aswell)
PSU: Corsair TX850M (has yet to need the fan to spin[corsair default fetaure], even after 2 hours of unigine heaven, it was a cold brick ^_^).

There are 4 120mm blue LED fans on the side running ~1500 RPM, super quiet. The whole machine is for the most part quiet, but nothing to fuss over, especially with my Trittons on. :p

If you wanna see them full size: http://postimg.org/gallery/7o6sypda/86055b51/

url]

20131005_214953.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215009.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215035.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215141.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215148.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215206.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215213.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215227.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215353.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215400.jpg
[/url][/img]
20131005_215422.jpg
[/url][/img]

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Very nice Gomer! Looks very... Blue. That might offend a few people on this thread! Ha! jk

I'm still deciding on the colors I wanna go with for my Rig once I'm finished. Blue is an option... Even if I've got a system with red components. I've got a few ideas for colors and what the end product is gonna look like. I'm thinking about going with Red sleeving for my cables and then the ROG Motherboard. the Heart of the system Red, the cooling of the system Blue. Then I'm going to do a slight paint job.

As of current events, I've got my Crucial Tactical Tracer RAM set to Orange in BF4's honor.

Now, back to steamroller... Oh wait... I forgot, AMD still isn't saying anything. *sigh* They could at least throw us a bone or Inform us a little on why we're getting these delays.

amd charges much more than $200 for the fx9590, even though it shouldn't be any higher than $170-200. it is definitely a factory overclocked fx8350. factory validation is not worth paying for, at all.
amazon lists fx9590 at $500, amd lists it at over $820 to $900(only ncix.com). at that price, price/perf is already against fx9590's favor. a custom water-cooled or a.i.o. cooler (e.g. corsair h110) fx8350 (or an fx8320 if you're lucky in the silicon lottery :)) will still beat the centurion cpu in terms of price/perf which doesn't even include a cooler, let alone lga2011 core i7 cpus. centurions' tdp prevents them from being used with cheap amd motherboards (risk/responsibility is up to the individual) - skewing price/perf against centurion cpus further. :D

edit:
dat price! kaveri will be happy. hopefully kaveri overclocks better than richland. yea i know about bulk and whatnot. i am still hoping.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/henry-butt/gigabyte-g1-sniper-a88x-motherboard-review/all/1/

Status
Not open for further replies.