AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 411 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually, it is you who confound macrocode with microcode.

Read the agreement AMD has authorization to access all Intel microcode.

It isn't worded macrocode for a reason. Both companies use the same microcode.

Additionally, AMD is licensed to use all current and existing Intel extensions through their current agreement, essentially indefinitely.

Now, suppose Intel terminates their end of the agreement (which they honestly could not afford at all, but hypothetically), any new extensions to the x86 instruction sets created after the cross licensing agreement is terminated would be the only thing off limits.

Yes, you can argue Intel holds the patent on x86-32 and AMD holds the patent on x86-64...

HOWEVER...you are missing the fact that these 2 are considered "co-dependent", perpetually tying them together for as long as the 2 parties can exist in or out of court.

Intel cannot use any of their patented x86-64 instruction sets without AMD, though AMD has the right to use the x86-32 microcode granted by court order.

Now, who do you think is holding all the cards?

Intel is merely posturing, they have no leverage of any sort. If Intel tried to pull the agreement, then AMD has a court signed letter by a judge granting them full capability to use the x86-32 microcode and they own 75+% of the x86-64 patents out there...

/rant

(Full disclosure: my brother is a corporate lawyer in the tech industry...you are severely handicapped in this discussion, as I am cheating and using him as a reference for interpretation of the court orders :p)

There's always a way:

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2096214.html

I'm using the ID spoof on some nVidia sponsored titles and it works nice.

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL...wow...sometimes I am almost surprised by how underhanded all the tech companies are...

Then I realize, sadly, how not surprised I actually am...in fact, I think I could nearly die from not surprised at how frequently this is proven to be an issue...

LOL...wow...sometimes I am almost surprised by how underhanded all the tech companies are...

Then I realize, sadly, how not surprised I actually am...in fact, I think I could nearly die from not surprised at how frequently this is proven to be an issue...

All companies are amoral and do whatever they can for their own benefit. The ones on top are REALLY afraid of the smaller companies disturbing profit flow. There have been many big companies that have gone away due to not being able to compete with some smaller company. Because of that the bigger ones tend to constantly troll the smaller ones trying to stamp out any good idea's before they take off. It's pure jungle warfare for them.

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
AMD should look into being a little more rough with Nvidea....

I think AMD's being careless for not implementing a severe performance curve for Mantle and announcing that all platforms will be able to support it. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up running better on a Nvidea/Intel rig eventually, lol. I hate to be an advocate for amorality as I like to view gaming in a liberal light, but AMD has innovative and competitive idea's that I like to see in the business. Nvidea, on the other hand, frame blocks when PhysX isn't good enough of a reason to go with them over price/preformance. I would like to see AMD take it away someday, but I feel like they're a bit of a sheep in the marketing end of things and always will be.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
the wonderful way of the world, you screw us we screw you.......lol
AMD has Intel by the nuts, x86-64 will devastate servers if not usable by Intel, and all the Intel freaks are would find themselves somewhere they don't wanna be if that ever happened.

if your an intel fan, look up hyperthreading and how vulnerable to hacking it is. it's never been fixed as far as i know. I don't support Intel OR nvidea for the same reasons as shown,

AMD is a long way away from dumping x86 big cores, we still depend on those big cores for video editing,high end gaming, and other big core programs. untill we see programmers start to use both side of them and appropriately.

If you all haven't seen it AMD is dumping money on gpu for serial processing power, cpu cores have reached a limit for the time being.
they pushed so hard that they are far beyond what programmers can actually do imho.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I'm vendor-agnostic but I looked it up anyway. The only thing I could find was an article from 2005: http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240061127/Intel-hyperthreading-could-help-hackers I would be hard pressed to believe that this issue hasn't been addressed in almost a decade.

you'd think that. intel hates (budget) overclockers but they are passionate about cybercrooks. they installed small business (dis)advantage, v-pro, vt-d bug, intel insider(if this isn't a dead giveaway i dunno what is) etc. inside cpus just so that bad guys can play with our intel pcs as much as if our pcs belonged to them...and nsa and other govt. agencies. :whistle: :ange:
what more fun, you actually have to pay moar for most of the features(!) such as above.

i don't know about amd, but if they had something like any one of those, they'd go bankrupt (mostly due to propaganda, imo) overnight.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

:no: I already quoted this from the court decision:

The two companies had battled each other in court for seven years and had spent over $100 million when they finally settled all remaining lawsuits in 1995. AMD received a perpetual license to the microcode found in Intel’s 386 and 486, but also agreed to not copy any other Intel microcode. Instead, AMD would develop its own chips in the future.

Microcode != x86

:no: You continue confounding microcode with macrocode. I also said you that current FX chips have AMD own microcode, which is different from the microcode in an intel i7 for instance. In fact, Intel microcodes are encrypted and maintained secret by the company.

That being said, microcode format is not only very specific to the specific processor model (e.g. microcode for a Pentium III and a Pentium IV cannot be freely exchanged with eachother -- and, of course, using Intel microcode for an AMD processor is out of the question), but it is also a severely protected secret. Intel has published the method by which an operating system or a motherboard BIOS may update the microcode (it must be done after each hard reset; the update is kept in volatile RAM) but the microcode contents are undocumented. The Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual (volume 3a) describes the update procedure (section 9.11 "microcode update facilities") but states that the actual microcode is "encrypted" and clock-full of checksums. The wording is vague enough that just about any kind of cryptographic protection may be hidden, but the bottom-line is that it is not currently possible, for people other than Intel, to write and try some custom microcode.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4366837/what-is-intel-microcode

:no: the current agreement finishes the day 12 Nov 2014.

Juan can you (and the rest) dump the Intel vs AMD discussion (around legal issues and the compiler stuff) or I will halt the thread (close it) for a week.

Focus on information relevant to the thread title.

I think I , and other mods mentieoned this previously.

No more trolling or flaming ...

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Well this 2600k seam to be holding it own against that same 8350!

http://www.headline-benchmark.com/results/c309c1f4-6f00-4def-8127-b8d679fe5989/b5b4278b-300e-47be-9698-bddda9a21d0f

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Thanks for submitting the result! Since 8350rocks submitted the result, I've tweaked the app to squeeze a bit more performance from the CPUs. A fairer comparison would be Palladin's 8350 which is overclocked higher and tested with a more recent version of the software:

http://www.headline-benchmark.com/results/c309c1f4-6f00-4def-8127-b8d679fe5989/9a411141-526d-4452-8e78-1c9891c2efa0

As you might expect, the 8350 and 2600k are neck and neck on integer performance but the 2600k pulls ahead when we look at floating point and really dominates on memory (the memory test is cache intensive).

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

1) It's never fair to compare an overclock 8350 to a stock 2600k when both cpu's top out around 5GHz.

2) Even the higher overclocked 8350 cant beat the 2600k, so again no convincing win for the 8350.

3) Take a look at the top spot's on the CPU list all held by i7's.

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not arguing with you, I think everyone agrees the i7's will beat an 8350. But n some metrics at least they are pretty close.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

It's not an argument I'm after , you used the words convincing and fair while being totally unfair,
if both CPU were running at the same clock speeds and the 8350 won that would be fair, and
I'm still wondering what was convincing to you, that if you leave the 2600k at stock clock an 8350
overclocked can beat it?

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I'm more interested in what the CPUs do at stock, but so far all the 8350 results have been OC'd. I was simply assuming your 2600k was overclcked too - it isn't? I had no intention of being unfair...

I fail to see the issue; nothing more then a set of libraries that are optimized for Geforce cards. If NVIDIA want's to create a library that biases their own product, good for them. Now convince everyone to use it.

I mean, sheesh, are we REALLY going to start an open source flame war here?

This. AMD is holding the cards due to the perpetual X86-32 license, and being able to pull the AMD64 license from under Intel. Imagine if Intel suddenly lost the X64 license just as we're moving to 64-bit. What's Intel to do; go back to Intel64 and convince everyone to switch ISA's? Or worse...the return of the Itanic?

Though if AMD gets serious about ARM, I wouldn't be shocked if Intel starts to ask about buying said AMD64 license...that would be...interesting. But if AMD truely believes ARM is the way to go, and need a boatload of cash...

Well, considering Mantle basically replaces the current way things are being done in games, it makes sense AMD is ONLY supporting GCN based (AMD) cards. The more stuff you try and support at a low level though one API, the more things stop working. The lower the API, the narrower the focus must be,

And again, I view Mantle as nothing more then a kick to get MSFT to clean up DX a little bit more.

I've been benching mine at stock. BTW, did you fix the names (remove all special chars) yet, so my results can be referenced with other i7's? Still no idea why the bloody thing doesn't detect right like everyone elses though...

((OK; I'm done playing catchup; no more posts for a week; I promise!))

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Nvidea goes a bit further than just limiting support. They do a lot to make sure there property stays exclusive and touch upon some gray area's.

On the CPU side of Mantle, they do report the 3770k achieving a higher batch count then the 8350 before bottleneck. It just goes to show how sheepish they are. Truth is they kinda need to be. They have a costumer base on both sides of the competition(Intel and Nvidea).

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Nah, I'll get round to normalizing the names in the new year. No access to my dev machines for a couple of weeks...

Nice to know your intel is at stock. In that case palladin's 8350 with a hefty OC just manages to edge yours.

http://www.headline-benchmark.com/results/7a13d4da-64e0-420e-9047-cd8064c8d234/9a411141-526d-4452-8e78-1c9891c2efa0

IP Performance has certainly increased but the FP is still down a bit ... the memory performance is still slower (if i read that correctly) too.

On the basis of past performance these benchies seem realistic?

Discuss (and thanks Juan) guys?

Well we would expect the $330 USD CPU to be better then the $199 USD CPU. Though honestly the real value is the fx6350 at $139 USD. AMD is the value brand, I never expect them to the absolute best at anything, I only expect them to be very cheap for what they do provide. This is why I compare the fx8x series with the i5 as they are priced to compete with them at that level and the fx6x with the i3. The fx4300 is kinda misplaced as it doesn't really compete well with the lower pentiums and you'd most likely be better off going with APU.

Status
Not open for further replies.