AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 433 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

margins of error don't work that way. If you put richland as the baseline for your claims, your margin of error is 47%.

8.26 to a predicted 9.5 with an actual of 9.08 is a 47% marginal error, not 3, since your baseline was not 0.

Take your Juanrga.com claim of kaveri going to hit 10.3 then the margin of error is 72%.

x264-kaveri-pre.png

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Looking at hardware canucks gaming pages, kaveri manages to squeak by the fx 4300 at 720p just barely, but not once take out the slower clocked fx 6300. Not once is kaveri 30% faster than the 5800k at 720p.

Add price into the equation and APU are not for gaming with a discrete card. IGP is solid compared to richland, lower clock and higher performance.

Considering the lower clocks of both the cpu and gpu, power consumption is not impressive.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65031-amd-kaveri-a10-7850k-a8-7600-review-27.html

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Wow. Richland 2.0: overhyped then underdelivered also with it being overpriced ($175).

Now we know why AMD won't give FX Steamroller. The improvements (if any) just don't carry over in games. The A10 5800k still now remains the only A10 that has a competitive price. The per core performance is still lower than it needs to be at and the FP strength (or the lack thereof) is honestly sad.

At $175, most gamers will just go to Intel's stuff which (still) murders Kaveri in all areas relevant to them except IGP performance... but who doesn't get a dedicated GPU when you spend that much?

"bu-but muh Mantle and HSA". Mantle is late to it's own party and HSA naïvely relies solely on outside support (just like Mantle). Especially with this happening, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I wanted AMD to have a comeback, but it still seems like business as usual.

jdwii

Splendid
So on average 10-15% for the CPU in other words under the 8320(8350) level CPU and under the I5 2500K by at least 20%. GPU performance is around 20% faster for GPU tasks.

So i was wrong i stated 15% on average for CPU tasks and 25% on average for GPU base games, i'm guessing something is going on with either memory bandwidth or memory latency and possibly huma affects that in a negative way.

All the software benefits are huge if companies decide to use them all and i'm sure Intel will have support for it as well. I5 sandy is a better CPU hands down as well as a 8350fx compared to the top A10.

And if building a gaming platform picking a A10 over a 6300-6350fx would be nonsense unless you want to use it without a video card or your concerned about the AM3+ platform and future benefits

a10-7850k<I5 2500K with no GPU based acceleration
a10-7850k= I3 Ivy with no GPU based acceleration
a10-7850K> I7 with GPU acceleration
a10-7850k< Price/Performance 6350-6300fx

8350rocks

Distinguished

*cough*

@juanrga: still waiting for the "you were right and I was wrong" post from you...

I will probably never see it...but I still know it, and so do you, even if you never admit it...

HSA, MANTLE and some other new stuff from AMD are as useful as QuickSync was when Sandy was introduced (I won't even talk about BCLK, lol). And you wouldn't say QS was useless, right? Well, to be honest, I think it is pretty useless, but that's me, haha.

Anyway, like I said, Kaveri is not a high performance part just because we all want it to be. It's just 53% (was it?) CPU and 47% GPU. Until the HSA promise and new software is delivered, it will be a bystander for high performance. Midstream if you OC the crap our of it (currently), but kind of defeating the purpose of HTPC or SFF.

I really don't understand why we even mix it with the i5 or the i7; they're more expensive CPUs and well, they're CPUs not APUs (palladin can give you all a deeper explanation for that).

This reminds me of something "funny" (ironic more than funny, but meh...). When a friend got his brand spankin' new Athlon64 3200, he had to keep his GeForce 2 MX200. We had a good laugh when he actually got like 2X the FPS's using Software Rendering in UT than OGL at the same resolution. My point here is that... Ok, Intel currently has that same effect in most programs because their CPU side is that good while they still have mediocre (upgrade from craptastic, lol) graphics solution to off load work in it and doing some black magic in their drivers. If you also take the software side of things, its even gloomier for Kaveri and Richland.

I really want to see Kaveri inside an HTPC roundup against Intel and even Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800. Thanks to AMD, Intel has done a very good job polishing their drivers for video playback and other quirks they had for HW acceleration (included QS).

Credits due, where credits owed.

Cheers!

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Ill just wait till DDR4 hits to what ever new AMD Socket will be on the high performance, i guess i waited 3 years since Bulldozer and i can wait little more than a year again i guess, i was tempted to go FX 8320 but nah... DDR4 will be supported in the Beggining of 2015 and AMD may just change Sockets soon enough.

Anyone knows if a 980BE OCed to 3.91GHz will Bottleneck a R9 270x?

The 65W part is really cheap, $119 USD is perfect for gaming on a small box in the living room. The 95W is WAY overpriced, it should be $150 USD, $160 at most. It's going to require a bigger / louder cooling solution though.

Really don't see what people are getting worked up over, it's a fx4 chip without L3 cache and with a bolted on low ~ moderate power GPU. It's a big upgrade to the GPU side not the CPU one, which is what I was expecting honestly.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I see you continue kidding...

In the link given above

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-213#12380437

I predicted that hardwarecanucks would measure ~9.5 for Kaveri in that benchmark and they measured 9.08 (which rounds to 9.1). The error is of about 3%, it is not 72% neither 47%.

KAVERI-APU-57.jpg

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I said 20--30% IPC, which translates to ~10--20% faster CPU than Richland. S|A measured 8% average over Richland. Thus, I was wrong about this one by ~2--12%.

iGPU is a 28% better than Richland in average. I was wrong by ~2%.

http://semiaccurate.com/assets/uploads/2014/01/Kaveri-benchmarks-complete.png

Kaveri-benchmarks-complete.png

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Agreed. This setup will do the same song and dance as the 7850k for the same or less for better GPU performance. You don't have to worry about pampering it by buying high speed RAM which can carry a noticable markup over standard 1333 or 1600 or having system RAM being siphoned for the APU to use.

It does seem like the A8-7600 is a lot less absurd in pricing as its bigger brother. Its 45w TDP is wonderful and it being priced at around $119 is where an APU should be IMO.

Once you give it a $175 price tag, it doesn't belong. I think at this CPU price point that most people will get a dGPU right off the bat anyway. That renders the IGP useless outside of acceleration. Then, the FX 6300+ and Intel i3 3220+ outspeeds the CPU portion of the APU often for less money. And then, the final nail in the coffin is that the 760k + 7750/7770 GDDR5 is better for the same $ without interfering with your system RAM.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Regarding what? SOI vs. BULK? Your post is too cryptic.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Well, I was considering adopting the APU for my itx/OC the crap out it build. Looks like I will have to wait until prices come down and updated bios out of the box arrive. Now if only my microcenter can stock some ITX mobos.

In the meantime. Team Vulcan 2133 RAM. Anybody know of them? Quality?

It does seem like the A8-7600 is a lot less absurd in pricing as its bigger brother. Its 45w TDP is wonderful and it being priced at around $119 is where an APU should be IMO.

Well the CPU can do either 45W or 65W configuration depending on your platforms. Those numbers aren't random, they are picked because they are the most common thermal thresholds offered by low profile / SFF mini-ITX solutions. Most of your low profile quiet CPU coolers have a TDP limit of 65W with the ultra low ones being 45W which is damn near fanless. I use / built a lot o fmini-ITX systems and Kaveri looks really good for them. It's for the $499.99 HP / Dell / ect.. box's at wallmart or the 45W part inside thin notebooks like what HP offers.

Just accept you were wrong juanrga and move on. Your predictions were based on 1 sentence from AMD about 30% better throughput and you took it as a 30% increase in IPC. Your predictions were way off base. You never said 10-20%. You said 20-30%.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
It seems like the iGPU on the APUs just can't reach its full potential. Slow memory is the issue perhaps?

To add insult to injury, the 3GHz Haswell Pentium G3220 is $69 on newegg right now. It's effectively a slightly slower clocked i3-4130 without hyperthreading. Add a $100 Radeon card (like 7730), or better the 7750 for $120, and I think it will have better frame rate than the $189 Kaveri A10-7850K APU.

But on the bright side, the A10-6800k dropped to $130-140 online, so same price as i3-4150, but the A10-6800K is slightly better APU. You get two extra integer cores as well as Richland iGPU, which is still better than HD 4600 by a noticeable margin.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Esrever, I already admitted my error about the CPU. I can say you it again: I was expecting more from Steamroller.

Yes, you are right on that I took the 30% increase as IPC. Fortunately, my article was archived by a third party:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/11/4/what-to-expect-from-kaveri-a-detailed-predictive-analysis.aspx

During the Hot Chips 2012 conference, AMD said that the new Steamroller modules will provide a 30% gain in IPC over the initial Bulldozer modular design. Piledriver introduced about a 8% gain over Bulldozer at the same clocks. This means that Steamroller will introduce about a 20% IPC gain over Piledriver, because 1.30 = 1.08 × 1.20 rounded to two decimal digits.

And here goes my prediction, then I assumed Kaveri CPU was clocked @4GHz:

Combining all this data, I predict that the CPU of the top Kaveri APU will be about 26% faster than top Trinity APU and about 17% faster than top Richland APU.

The S|A review gives Kaveri CPU (finally clocked @3.7GHz) an 8% performance over Richland CPU. Therefore, I was wrong about the CPU performance by about 8%.

Umm juanrga that's not her percentages work.

If you state X is 30% of Y, and it ends up being 25% of Y, then you are not off by 5%. Instead you are about 17% over estimation. Your working with percentages here, it's actual/predicted (25/30).

jdwii

Splendid

I'm guessing in some delusional way he feels like he was right and will probably find some benchmarks here and their that support his claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.