AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 444 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

And other people uses real-world programs as well. Extremetech found that replacing their old x264 binary by one new Haswell runs 47% faster. This means that the old real-world program was only using about two thirds of the chip performance.

The same applies to AMD chips. I don't care if you are using real-world programs "that only utilize a fraction of the hardware potential" and give you false impression about i5s being always a 25% faster...

LOL :sarcastic:

I said that accuracy and precision are different concepts and wouldn't be confused. You insist on confounding them.

AMD is not abandoning the FX-9590, it continues in the roadmaps until 2015. I explained another thing about AMD plans, but you didn't understand them.

I already commented on your unfair accusations against the cosmology scores. I corrected your mistake about a dozen of times. No need to do it again.

Your accusation about fake OC made me laugh again. The 4.5GHz for Trinity is not the maximum OC as you pretend. It is an average OC on air as I said explicitly:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-225#12515374

Your pureoverclock link is about OC a specific Trinity chip on watter :pfff:

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Instead writing another 'professional' article about Floating Point, Anand would have tested HSA software on Kaveri. Some HSA benchmarks

221F424552E0E2BB1AA11B

274B114552E0E2BB07482B

2340FA4552E0E2BB0C1C23

2537EA4552E0E2BC10FC02

252E9C4552E0E2BC148FA2

241D354552E0E2BC1B2A6C

2278E44552E0E2BC2B426E

It's Jaguar which use's the same modular technology that AMD used to create BD. It's modular in the sense that the components inside your PC are modular. You don't need to redesign your PC to add more memory, a different CPU, another HDD or a different GPU. Everything is plug and play which has made building and shipping PC's much cheaper then 30 years ago when everything was custom (Amiga) or proprietary (Apple).

To be fair, PC's like the Amiga and Sharp X68000 were far and away ahead of the competition at the time. Hell, the 68k arch was far superior to X86, and the PC's of the time proved it.

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Nintendo has been patching their OS & games to work with the Pro controller so they can possibly start to drop the price of the console, by getting rid of the WiiU console/ tablet controller bundle and go with the pro controller instead.
Like they say "if it isn't broke don't fix it"... The wii was a novelty and a great selling one at that but they should have really done a better job researching the market for the WiiU and realized the tablet controller wasn't the greatest idea... or at least forcing it wasn't, they should have just made it a peripheral for people to buy if they wanted to. A better launch campaign would have done wonders also cuz apparently a ton of people were confused and thought the new system was just an addon. -_-

Yes the Amiga was definitely ahead of it's time, lots of custom chips that allowed it to do real time audio and advanced graphics separate of the main CPU. Had a NUMA-esque memory system separated into Fast and Slow RAM that programers could use as needed. But it was too expensive and proprietary, made it ultimately fail against the IBM PC clones. Kinda proved that something needs to be cheap to hit mass market adoption.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Hardware specifications rumor...

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nintendo-fusion-could-be-nintendos-next-gen-hardware-name/

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Read this too but I'm gunna dismiss it unless this is planned for more than a few years from now. In which case it's always subject to change(and probably will). Any ball park guess is about as good as the next.
290X(based on shaders) is a bit much for a console, I really don't think it's even close to being fee-sable with Nintendo's market for at least 5+ years.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

IBM Power 8 CPU? they should totally use x86 APU like PS4 and xbone, this way devs would port PS4/xbone games to the new Nintendo console, the GPU is a monster.. why on earth Nintendo needs that many Shaders for games such as Mario/Zelda?

I think they are trying the same fiasco with the WiiU, i smell another fail.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
@juan

Your personal corrections are laughable at best. Just because "juan said so" doesn't make anything magically come true.

Until you figure that out have fun arguing with yourself. You never can back up your argument other than claiming "I said that 1000 times" when you cant even stick to the same story more than once.

abitoms

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
a point to interject all the discussions going on here. Been meaning to write this for a while now

Laptops with AMD APUs are somehow relegated to the garbage bin even if they deserve better. Searching Dell, Lenovo India websites with the 'AMD' turn up only cryptic search results with next-to-no laptops.

flipkart.com, a popular online store has a HP laptop with an AMD A10, 8GB of RAM, 1TB of HDD...and ...wait for it...wait ....for it....Free DOS. All this for INR38000. (Around USD630)

Ironically, it has a gamut of Core i3 laptops for 500GB, 4GB RAM and Win8 for INR 35000 (USD 580).

Now who will buy that AMD laptop with all the unnecessary amount of RAM?
Even if one argues that the RAM is there to facilitate performance, then why a HDD instead of an SSD?
Why the FreeDOS?
The 1TB is ok, but people have difficulty filling up even 500GB. That 1TB simply inflates the cost.

And don't even mention the battery these APUs are (unfairly) saddled with.
This is like the hardware equivalent of bloatware.

I wonder how NONE of those laptops with FreeDOS ever come with an i3 or i5.

I remember seeing an AMD FreeDOS laptop from Lenovo not long ago....which made me think of writing this in the first place.

What should I make of all these...Intel payouts?
Genuine lack of common sense and marketing research from these system sellers?
Lack of marketing from AMD towards these system sellers?

As long as the system sellers couple AMD APUs either with costly overkills like 4TB HDD (no SSD), 16GB RAM, and/OR with cheap-out parts like low battery, bad glossy monitor, plastic shells, it will not matter how many well-engineered APUs AMD pushes out. And of course it will be priced high enough "because it has 16 GB RAM, 4TB HDD" so that no one buys it.

(End rant. I can feel myself foaming/frothing at my mouth.)

^^ worse: single ddr3 1333/1600 dimm instead of dual channel kit, under capacity batteries, shoddy build materials and so on.

ssd isn't a must on entry/mid level laptops. it is better as an upgrade. 768p tn panels are worse... although they help igpu-gaming with better fps.

those are from oem side. amd has it's faults as well. they never push as hard as intel or nvidia and i am not taling about throwing money at oems. driver support (esp. dual gfx and gpu switching) is crap. kaveri will help with dual gfx and the new catalyst will finally address dual gfx on non kaveri (it's not here yet).... but look how long it took them to get here since llano's introduction in 2011.

abitoms

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
^^ yes, of course AMD sitting on their lazy is another factor

what is surprising is they should be (in principle) aware of these things.
if yes, they are digging their own grave

if they are not aware of these things, then something is seriously wrong with how they do business

there's a silver lining: kaveri is more laptop oriented than ever. all trinity's desktop-ness and bad turbo and throttling and dual gfx issues should be gone with kaveri - both in software and hardware. beema and mullins are looking pretty good as well. then there's amd's own arm a57/53 core license. with all these, amd stands to address almost all of laptop and mobile landscape with ease. for example, if they don't support android with beema or mullins, they can do that with a57 socs. all that is left is to start executing.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

LOL :lol:

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You are a lucky man. In my country, I cannot find AMD laptops with FreeDOS, the only FreeDOS laptops have old celerons and pentiums. All* AMD laptops come with W8 pre-installed.

N00b and juan your both starting to really annoy me.

Unless you both want a two week holiday I suggest you cut it out.

Last warning.

This post is staying here so the next mod who notices a transgression can simply pull the trigger.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
INTEL is still playing games with manufacturer's, meaning i think they still paying kick back for selling product, so the mans are making the AMD products look unattractive so as to sell more intel product.
and the 500 gig claim to fill up, haha I would fill 500 gigs pretty darn quick.
when i got my lap top no bloatware to speak much of, but it has a 750 gig, i am down to 350 gigs of room left. ids(ford diagnostic program) takes up a lot of space as you introduce vehicle data.
reynolds and reynolds(massive resource hog)needs lots of ram.
amd for the lower end lap top to me just totally annihilates i3 down. even the I3's can barely handle all the programs i have to run, i usually have to run 4+ at the same time and those have graphics to load too. the A6 i have runs it all with no issues.
if the graphics are to slow when i am looking at pids on a car, and i miss a hiccup in that/those pids i don't get the car fixed right.
in order for me to get strong enough graphics i would have had to buy I5-I7 with high end graphics, which is far to much processor power and an absolute waste of money. but in trying to find what i wanted and needed was a pain in the arse. the manufactures need to step up and quit playing Intels games in the end they are the ones looking bad.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

Lenovo Essential E4325 may suit your need

btw, 8GB ram is less for me (previously i thoght that i can do with 4GB but then i got 64bit window), especially because i don't use virtual memory, window 7 takes 1-1.5GB and kaspersky chews 1GB ram when i start full system scan, and after using chrome for few hours and few tabs (30-50 only :p beause my monitor is 18.5" only ) i get a window notification which tells me that i ran out of memory

i posted on this thread after a long time, we have reached to 220+ pages ( oh! i missed the celebration of double century :sarcastic: ) but the question remains same where is steamroller (FX), do we have to wait for 2015 ? (according to a pic in de5_Roy's latest link)

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Thinkpad x140e is a part I've been raving about. I got one for my parents, and if they don't like it I'm going to buy it off them. If they do like it, I'm quite sure I'll be getting one myself. I refer to it as the mobile light gaming tank. But it's ultra-portable, no BS with it, good battery, all serviceable. Two DIMMs, removable battery. Lenovo did it right with x140e. The price is a little high but they keep revising things and it keeps slowing getting cheaper. I specced out a x140e a week or so ago and it came to $650. Now I can do it with same specs for about $550.

I don't expect any sort of FX part until we see something besides the 28nm process AMD Is using for Kaveri. As seen from overclocking Kaveri and how well GloFo 28nm "shp" scales with TDP, an FX style part on that process would be a massive disappointment. It would be one step forward with IPC and two steps backwards with stock clocks and overclocking headroom.

FX is sort of a halo product for AMD. The last thing they need is a halo product that's barely faster than what they had before. In fact, AMD has been there already and look what it did to them and consumer's opinions of AMD.

What AMD is doing with SR would be similar to if AMD didn't give enthusiasts Bulldozer FX, just used those for APUs, and then when Piledriver came around release FX parts. People would have probably been more likely to keep buying AMD CPUs (K10s) then, because the internet wouldn't be full of "WE WAITED YEARS FOR THIS IT S TERRIBLE IT BARELY BEATS THE LAST GENERATION!!!"

AMD would have been much better off floating 6 core K10 CPUs until Piledriver came out. I have a really good feeling that they would have just remained in their "not as good as Intel but still not bad" position instead of "BULLDOZER IS SUX LOOK AT SUPERPI!!!"

Rory Read should understand these sorts of concepts of marketability from working at Lenovo in the consumer space. At least, I would hope.

pd-fx will remain at the top for the time being. amd is simply attacking two-pronged at "moar cores" - 1. hsa enabling up to 12 compute cores in kaveri for highly (for mainstream dt) parallel processing using hsa-enabled softwares and 2. if you don't have hsa, multicore fx cpus for traditional 'moar cores'. i'd comment on lack of per-core perf. or discreet card gaming but there's been only one 7850k o.c. article and not much else so far.
amd seemingly didn't shoot for per-core performance this time. considering they sent a power efficient, very reasonably priced review sample to almost all of the review sites along with the 7850k, raw high performance may not have been the goal for sr. the reviewers' consensus on amd high perf. cpu is now something post-excavator. by high perf. i mean high per-core as well as multi-core cpu performance.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There is no Steamroller FX. Check the 2014-2015 desktop roadmaps. The pic that you mention is a diagram of the architecture capabilities and reflects AMD older plans, when they planned to sell 16-core on die Steamroller Opterons. They were canceled, the same that Steamroller A was replaced by Steamroller B.

Status
Not open for further replies.