AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 473 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Some of those people work at Amd those same people said that is the main reason a lot of people were canned including the CEO, Amd will have a competitive CPU when they ditch the module design until then we can expect I3 performance from a quad core Amd for quite some time with more power draw. I do not expect anything more, and like my last comment i hope they're getting rid of this design, most people stating otherwise probably isn't even running Amd on their main rig.

AMD stated when they released the bd arch, that the way it was designed, was that the secondary core was for "hyperthreading style work load" from that i take it a s a 4 core AMD working more like a dual core intel with hyper threading.

therefore an 8350 works like a 4 core intel with hyperthreading.
AMD's crap marketing was what bit it in the tale the most. WOW!!! 8 cores it is gonna "smash" Intel. and thats what a bunch of people bought into without really knowing how it really worked.

I personally think if they can get the cache's and front end fixed this would be a monster. and it's power effincientcy would skyrocket. it is thrashing cache like mad.

jdwii

Splendid

Cache speed alone isn't the only issue although its probably in the top 3, as explained in that ExtremeTech article its many different things. So far this module design only has 2 ALU/AGU's per integer core which does hurt integer performance as well as having a shared FPU which hinders FP operations. So in terms of performance until they address the issue of having 2 ALU/AGU and having a shared FPU with shared cache(and slower cache compared to Intel) i expect performance to be closer to an I3 then a I5 from their quad cores and from their 8 cores i expect I5-I7 performance when all the cores are taxed heavily.

Edit this seems to be the obvious top 3 issues, theres still more issues.
Edit again...Although i doubt that will happen except for the cache issue, and the other issues because including another AGU/ALU per core would cause more power draw and more die area as well as adding another FPU per module.

8350rocks

Distinguished
It has been shown time and again that the 8350 kills i5 CPUs in anything heavily threaded, and will run a tight race with an i7 when the software plays toward the strengths of the uarch.

The only situation where that is negated that is very popular is gaming...otherwise the 8350 is fine, if you go into it knowing what you are getting for your money, then you are entirely satisfied. Like me...with my FX running 4.4 on stock voltage on a 970 board. I now have 16 GB DDR3-2133 MHz AMD Gaming RAM, and I am even happier! My PC has yet to fail at doing anything I ask of it, and I can run tons of things at once and it never slows down.

I have no idea what people are complaining about, it is not like you miss 15-30 seconds of your life in some trivial task having one over the other. Plus considering I bought a board, CPU, and my original 8 GB DDR3-2400 MHz G.Skill RAM for what one comparably Intel CPU would have cost me, I am completely happy.

Sapphire announces NUC-sized AMD boards
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34133-sapphire-announces-nuc-sized-amd-boards
long overdue!! i wanna see these with upgradable sockets for mobile and dt skus (seperate sockets).

richland silicon dump
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34134-amd-releases-more-cheap-richland-parts

asus' am1 offering, so many ports! <3
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7833/asus-amd-am1-approach-am1ia-and-am1ma-announced

space heaters lock horns
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1240&lang=english

Free-to-Play Games Benchmarked: 4 Popular Titles Put to the Test
http://www.techspot.com/review/785-free-to-play-games-benchmarks/

first look! at [H]'s mantle analysis pt1
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/04/bf4_amd_mantle_video_card_performance_review_part_1/1#.UxeOHEFRTHU
seems like everyone has reposted this. so did i. :pt1cable:

edit: meanwhile, age takes a toll on winter soldier's big gun >_>
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2014107392/tt1843866?ref_=ttmi_mi_all_pos_61

edit2:
MSI GAMING Motherboard Breaks 6 GHz Barrier with AMD A10-7850K
http://www.techpowerup.com/198562/msi-gaming-motherboard-breaks-6-ghz-barrier-with-amd-a10-7850k.html

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

It really depends on the application. Once AVX2 get utilized more haswell will rise.
But once AVX2 will be a used oftener AMD surely will follow up.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
as long as AMD is around, it will be my first choice, dont really feel like getting hacked through Intels hyperthreading holes.
as long as the money is coming, and the big investment into the company from that arabian dude if that goes through i think we will see huge improvements from AMD.
i see a lot of programming, not coded that great towards amds arch yet either,
the way the article i read the cores were supposed to used as 0,2,4,6 then a subsequent thread for anything running on those ran through 1,3,5,7 i don't think windows is addressing them correctly.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

Intels hyperthreading is highly hackable, a report made long ago and no reports claiming any fixes to it.
lots of Intels programs have big security holes in them.

Intel always adopts new memory first then AMD follows. Intel will have it in servers and Haswell-E then AMD will probably push to servers while Intel pushes to mainstream then AMD will. That is how it always has been with most memory technologies. It allows AMD to keep the cheaper platform cost approach.

Overall DDR4 wont really benefit mainstream. Currently DDR3 is not even fully utilized, I mean a Haswell CPU pushes 21GB/s with DDR3 1600MHz and there are no desktop applications that can soak that up.

Maybe in the next 5 years we will need the bandwidth offered by DDR4 (it is supposed to be at least 51GB/s to start and will go up from there). By then DDR5 will probably be making its way around, or whatever the next memory will be called.

If AMD is still having scheduling issues it may be due to the arch itself. But even when it was scheduled properly through the cores or by disabling the odd cores and leaving the even cores on it wasn't that great of a performer.

I think the approach is interesting but I don't think the module approach will ever be competitive on a per core level. A FX 8000 series CPU is weaker than Intels 6 core variants and probably much weaker than Intels 8 core variants.

The current SMT is not the exact same as Hyperthreading. It is a new and much better version, hence why there are mostly performance gains as opposed to before where a lot of applications suffered performance losses.

As well your issue is kind of null:

http://gigaom.com/2005/05/23/intel-hyper-threading-a-security-hole/

I’d be really surprised if somebody is actually able to get a real-world attack on a real-world pgp key usage or similar out of it,” wrote Linux creator Linus Torvalds. “It’s a fairly interesting approach, but it’s certainly neither new nor HT-specific, or necessarily seem all that worrying in real life.”via netcraft

So the creator of Linux himself has stated it is not even a HT-specific issue.

As well if you think that AMDs programs are security hole free, think again. That is the nature of software. That is why Windows XP has had security patches for 13 years and if Microsoft wasn't going to kill support would still have security patches coming.

It is fine to prefer specific hardware, I prefer Corsairs products for PSUs, memory, cases and cooling. But at least post accurate information or just admit you prefer AMD instead of coming up with an excuse that was easy to void with the second google search result.

8350rocks

Distinguished

The issue there is that AVX is not currently utilized much outside of very specific applications because the majority of current PCs cannot do anything with it. You have to virtually compile for it on your specific system to get it to run.

Considering the length of time between when AVX was implemented and the newness of AVX2, I highly doubt AVX2 will come to light anytime soon in major software. Most modern applications barely run SSE4 because of the nature of the dated PC ecosystem out in the real world. Realistic coders are aware of this, and thus pay no mind to the newest code paths because they are drastically limiting on older hardware unless your program recompiles for user specific hardware, and that can easily be problematic as well.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

"as long as AMD is around, it will be my first choice", read much?

EDIT: and as far as i am concerned, i would rather limit those security holes on things i know are there. no matter how someone says it wouldn't be exploited.

Except you added "dont really feel like getting hacked through Intels hyperthreading holes" to the end of that.

disclaimer: before you read further, this is not about someone(s) in particular, it's about sensationalism, misrepresenting information, and other malpractices. i'll just leave it here. while it's off topic, it has been spammed and then successfully argued here. this is just an opinion, a counter-argument. further discussion should really be on another thread, if necessary.

s/a provides counter to "altera is thinking about leaving intel becuz intel 14nm iz suxxorz" claim:
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/03/06/intel-altera-tsmc-sad-sad-state-tech-reporting/
made me chuckle.

edit2:
if tsmc's 16nm finFET is really 20nm b.e.o.l., i welcome it if it offers the power efficiency. for example, puma's successor will be able to sqeeze into smaller and smaller places like smartphones... may be? i wonder what it'd be called though. i have few names in mind - panther, leopard, lynx, cougar. any one of these, and i am claiming "first!" :p it'd be great for gfx cards too. the best part seems to be the relative ease of transition and expectable faster ramp-up.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

That is truly correct. But the performance increase between AVX and AVX2 is high. AVX2 have potential to completely take over SSE4. AVX2 is a powerful instruction set that is just waiting for getting utilized.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Without an integrated LTE modem it's about impossible to get into phones. Thus NVidias troubles for a long time now in that segment.

Now move the PS4 style APU to 16nm and that could move some units.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

i know how that happens, I got cleaned of 2000 dollars, java can copy any hyperthread, use a credit card and it sends all your info. bam! they gotcha by the balls.

I am thinking i want one of those AM1 boards to use for the 3D printer i am getting. plenty capable of massive storage,no need for SD cards laying around. won't need but maybe 2 gigs of ram, and more than plenty enough processor speed to feed data from.

you have to admit AMD is coming up with some unique solutions, the uarch on modular design is better than it looks,
just got all my stuff last night for my new computer and yes i built it with all amd and an 8350, crosshair V formula z board. damn!! compared to my 965BE@ 4.1Ghz that FX8350 poops all over it stock clocked.
excavator if they make a dcpu with it i think will be an extremely good processor.
steamroller in the apu shows pretty decent improvements,shadowed mostly by the low power design in my opinion.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
^From what I recall exy was never supposed to have a dCPU. The platforms were supposed to converge on the excavator release.

@reynod A hyperthreading hole? Sounds like it was a great night!

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been saying this the whole time... I hope people see the FX 8350 for what it is. A freaking fast processor. I mean, in single threaded tasks, the performance isn't the best. But everywhere else, it's incredible.

On the down side, I'm probably picking up a nvidia GPU for my next one. Especially if the next gen of Nvidia products support DX12. Supposedly it's supposed to be announced this month. I need more VRAM at a cheaper price point. AMD is killing me here.

I would assume that Intel and Altera have a contract that would incur fees for jumping out for either one.

I think Intel will be fine.

LMFAO. Gotta love Chrome. Just went in IE and it is fine.

LTE is coming faster for others but I think they need to get licensing from Samsung and QUALCOMM.

I don't even have Java installed on my PC. I remember when they released an update with such a bad exploit they told people to roll back and didn't have it fixed for months after.

Unless you are gaming at above 1080p or planning triple monitors you need a more powerful GPU than VRAM.

As for DX12, I haven't heard much beyond that Microsoft is planning on allowing lower level access like Mantle. I guess we will see though.

jdwii

Splendid

They need to address the issue with sharing a FPU and only having 2 ALU/AGU's vs more and they also need to think about their issues with cache which is being shared and is causing latency issues as well as errors which is why they included more. If their only going to make 4 cores or less and clock them at lower speeds they need to redesign their whole architecture(since their doing the opposite this design was supposed to do). Which is what i'm hoping to see after excavator.

Status
Not open for further replies.