AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 475 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

hahaha no DX 12 was even announced till AMD said screw you M$, guaranteed you will be buying W9, or have W8/8.1 to get it.

The XB1 is more efficient because it is one set piece of hardware that is actually very similar to the PS4 so optimizing it is easy. That's why the 360/PS4 lasted so long. If they had one set of hardware for PC games to be coded for, we would probably be able to use the same system for 5-10 years without the need for upgrades like we do now.

But since there is thousands upon thousands of different hardware configs, we lose a lot of power out of our systems.

Considering that MS is getting ready to actually unveil and show off DX12 pretty soon I am going to assume they have probably been working on it for a while. I don't think they could create something to show off in just a few months.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
A complete misunderstanding of what I was trying to say during my poor wording. I meant, We'll see if the GTX 7XX series and R9 Series GPUs support Direct X 12. If so, I look forward to picking up a 780 soon. Lol. I was strongly considering going z87...

But then I got a price to the wallet. I say, my money is better spent on a GPU for my rez of 1440P lol. My Little 7870 is bogging down a bit too much for my taste. I would buy a 2nd 7870. But I like a small bit of filtering. Just for the crisper Image. 2Gb isn't enough these days. Then again Money isn't enough. You see that $4,000 r9 290x on newegg a while back? G-bus.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

scored 2 270X's $500 at best buy XFX double dissipation too. me is happy:bounce:

You for sure need at least a 280X. 3GB VRAM+. I know some newer games maxed out at 1080P can eat up 2GB of VRAM.

I never saw the 290X hit $4K on Newegg but I saw HD7970s hit $1.5K on EBay. I saw the 290X hit $900 on Egg. Now the Asus DCUII is $619 which is only $40 bucks more than Asus MSRP of $579.99 so not too bad considering it cools way better than the stock and maintains a consisted 1050MHz core clock.

It has more shaders and utilizes GDDR5 but it is the same CPU and graphics core. I don't doubt that the PS4 will be able to have higher resolutions but then again there have been some recent games coming out that are trying to run at 1080p and are having massive FPS drops.

I am willing to bet they will end up very similar overall and the next gen era of 1080p gaming wont be as nice for consoles as it has been for us in PC for the past couple of years.

Interestingly enough, 7 ran better than Vista on older P4 based systems.

That said, Microsoft utilizes the hardware that is there. I don't see why not. But they are not the main problem. The main problem is drivers are not made for the newer OSes after a while and that makes the new hardware useless on newer systems.

I bet that soon newer OSes wont support PCI much like I doubt Windows 7 supports EISA cards. I can't tell for sure as I didn't have a working motherboard with EISA on it that could support a minimum of 1GB RAM.

So it looks like AMD is doing like Intel. Sempron and entry level Athlons will be the ultra low end and low power much like Intel now has Atom in for Celeron and entry level Pentiums.

Weird naming for the socket though. AM1 for low power, FM2 for APUs and AM3+ for CPUs.

i expect multiplayer modes of console games to be limited as in limited number of players or framerate until game developers find way to use all of 1.6ghz of ps4's clockrate across the 8 cores. meanwhile, it could ease mp gaming for pcs with weaker cpus. microsoft is also talking about reducing cpu overhead - if that includes m.p. gaming, most of the weaker and older cpus might get a boost.

it's a bit worse than that. intel has pentium and celeron brands for atom core cpus with J and N prefix with 4 digit model numbering. amd, otoh, has it's usual a6-a4 model numbering for bga kabini skus, and now sempron and athlon brands for socketed kabini. but wait, a6 and a4 prefixes are used for lower binned trinity/richland/kaveri apus(with igpus possibly better than kabini's) as well. marketing at play here.

i wrote the same thing before, thanks to amd marketing. turns out, AM1 is the name of the platform, the socket is fs1b iirc. fm2 platform was called virgo something, i forgot the name..

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
All I know is that I've never been so interested in a small, low-power system as I was when the first AM1 details started coming out. I mean, at this point, a motherboard has basically become nothing other than the AM1 socket's I/O interface - you don't have any chipsets whatsoever, as the CPU is now an entire SoC.

I remember looing at Biostar's upcoming motherboards, and I REALLY like the form factor they're starting to develop; the only thing stopping me from buying a full-blown mini-ITX system and putting it into one of Silverstone's beautiful aluminum cases is that I need more than one PCIe slot. Being an audiophile myself, I need somewhere to put my obligatory high-end sound card (yes, people do actually still buy them) - if there existed both a case and motherboard that would support three slots on such a small form factor, I'd be ecstatic.

At least, that's just my opinion. I'm really looking forward to seeing what all this turns into.

There is no mITX board with more than one PCIe slot. That's the purpose is to be super tiny. The best you can do is Micro ATX which has normally three slots.

The one downside to AMD and mITX is that only certain platforms of their have it, normally the lowest end one while with Intel you can get a really high end mITX board and put the best mainstream CPU into it (except LGA2011 of course because fitting quad channel on that small area would be impossible).

It just sucks that you cannot find a mITX AM3+ board. I know some people who want to build in a case that only supports mITX but can fit a full sized GPU so there is no need for the APU at that point.

Well to be honest, Via made the mini-ITX form factor for the low power / SFF systems they were selling. It was part of the EPIA line of products which included nano-ITX and pico-ITX form factors as well. They are for kiosk's, appliances and set-top design's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-ITX

I find most of the "high end" mini-ITX kind of funny as they aren't even using true mini-ITX enclosures but micro-ATX cases that were redesigned to fit mini-ITX boards. Very similar to the old e-machines. I've always been of the firm opinion that if you have power / room to add a dGPU then it's not a real mini-ITX system. What's the point of having a power sipping board when your just going to slap a loud 150~200W graphics coprocessor and a large 400W PSU on it.

jdwii

Splendid

Just make the switch to a DAC/AMP, sounds much better, just use the digital output on the board. Sell the sound card.

I bet that soon newer OSes wont support PCI much like I doubt Windows 7 supports EISA cards. I can't tell for sure as I didn't have a working motherboard with EISA on it that could support a minimum of 1GB RAM.

PCI is still widely used in the corporate market; might see if die in the consumer space soon though. As for EISA, its not the OS's job to support it; that job rests on the motherboard driver. If someone writes a driver for a mobo with EISA slots, it should work fine.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

Well it looks like we have nothing spicy to discuss about steamy as of now,

mean while, someone spotted a stuck steamy :whistle:
Steamroller-stuck-header_contentfullwidth.jpg

kaveri a10 7850k has received $5 price drop on newegg.com, now selling for $184.99.

in microcenter, the price has gone up from $129.99 to $149.99. fx8350 is also up at $180, only $10 more than on newegg. but fx8320 is at $130.

yawn.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Wow! That's a great deal! Haha, If I was playing at 1080P. I would so grab a 2nd 7870.

Back to steamroller. I think AMD is going to completely skip SteamRoller for the enthusiast platform and take it straight to Excavator. Hopefully they'll get it right.

It's hard to talk about steamroller when Valve is doing far more interesting things with steam than what AMD is releasing with SteamRoller. I really wish AMD would at least say that they're working on some enthusiast grade CPUs with a 20 - 30% increase in single thread performance. I mean I love my FX 8350, But AMD needs to play a bit of catch up. Just by a tiny bit...

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

AMD has been staying quiet about things lately. Hawaii and Kaveri both had quiet pre-release.

I don't think the way AMD is launching products now that they'd even hint at a future HEDT platform (if it does actually exist).

I do agree that they should at least be hinting. There's a lot of people thinking AMD will never release another HEDT chip and if AMD would give out some re-assurance that that's not the case, it would prevent some people from switching from AMD to Intel.

But if you are looking at building a new desktop, your options are either believe in AMD and hope something happens eventually or go Intel. AMD needs to at least give some sort of hints that HSA and other technology will scale to workstations or something. I realize they might scale to HPC but we still don't even know how it's going to scale.

I don't know what to do in this thread though. I am not expecting to see SR for HEDT in any form, but that doesn't rule out future architectures.

If anything, we should be following HPC news regarding AMD's plans for the future. That should be the hints we need for HEDT future plans.

Traditionally AMD has scaled server chips to desktop, but given AMD's server roadmap and how that plan of transitioning server chips into HEDT has lowered AMD's server and desktop market share, I don't see why AMD would continue in that direction.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
new cpu architect, a decent showing from kaveri in improvements to cpu uarch, last hurrahs for gcn, r9 series not staying on shelf for more than 2 days.
constant cash income from consoles, actually $100 a piece x7million units sold, i doubt we will see steamroller except as athlon parts and only 4 core none graphics chips for fm2/+ most likely excavator will show up on that platform also. I highly doubt AMD has totally dropped HPDT. or they have steamroller waiting for floor space in fabs and just not saying anything. or they are taking all the money they are getting and dumping it into R&D for next gen excavator. which i see the latter as more reasonable for the company at this time.

AMD A10-7850K Performance Optimized Catalyst 14.2 Driver
http://benchmarkreviews.com/13238/amd-a10-7850k-performance-optimized-catalyst-14-2-driver/
good improvement in igpu-gaming. and in sandra's memory bandwidth bench too. :O

I understand that view but then again some people want a gaming PC in a tiny space and that is what that works for.

Find us some jucies to talk about. AMD is being very mum for once when they are normally very talkative. I remember the speculation about Phenom I was all over the place at how it was going to take over.

Maybe this is part of AMDs strategy. I would be sad though if they transitioned into more of a services company than a core hardware company. We need the competition in the PC world else we start to stagnate.

Maybe this big ARM push will be enough to get Intel to move faster.

That is pretty decent. Makes formerly barely playable to now mostly playable. Although I could never accept average of about 30FPS since that means there will be dips below that and thus stuttering.

Most every game runs at 60FPS on my HD7970.

I could only see a APU like that for HTPC and the occasional light gaming at best.

jdwii

Splendid

I honestly don't think we will see anything amazing from Amd(in a CPU standpoint) until they're done with this module design, which should happen after excavator, then i'm hoping to see the best of Jaguar+Excavator+K10.5 in a CPU. If Amd is truly done with the multicore approach this needs to be done.

jdwii

Splendid

WTH that's pretty amazing almost deninalable! To see a 40% increase at times just from a driver update and even see improvement on CPU tasks, well done Amd.

jimmysmitty: I could only see a APU like that for HTPC and the occasional light gaming at best.
Yeah i know what you mean but if they can make it where i can build this machine for 400$ then yeah its worth it, for a budget gaming build, to be able to play most games at 1080P at medium to low settings(720P high settings) for this price is pretty incredible . The only issue i have is with Intel i can buy a pentium dual core for 60$ and pair it with a 7770ghz and get more performance in most games i know this i built these machines before its weird. Not to mention later down the road i can buy an I7 or I5 and put it in that same build with Amd theres no upgrade path.

So wait...AMD DID tank their driver performance? You don't just "find" 40% increases to performance.

The worst part? I don't know if I'm being sarcastic or serious here.

Status
Not open for further replies.