AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Wccftech just leeches stories from sites, then tries to take credit from them. They are kinda like a middleman, some of their leeches are true, some are false.

Also, Richland news is old, and Piledriver 2.0 will be like the 4170 and 6200 (My personal speculation.)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

wouldn't be a 2nd gen pd core if its just a faster clock. That would just be a new faster cpu, the 8370.

Think in terms of c2 to c3 phenom.

so the actual product is one or the other, either 2nd gen or just a faster top end model of the current pd.

other problem is the actual wording .. ipc through clock speed? That would mean IPC being instructions per core and not instructions per clock.

Anyway, the real news to wait for is kaveri.

On an intersting side note is the flexible wafer .... http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/2/7/ibm-enables-your-wearable-future-with-flexible-wafers.aspx

Pair that with samsung's flexible screen ... could lead to some really intersting devices, just need a flexible heat spreader and flexible battery to go with it. Could give a new meaning to the walking billboard.

funny-homeless-sign-baby1.jpg

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I still have my Phenom II X4 960t 3.9Ghz, im waiting for Steamy also. The only thing I want to see is, AMD refresh Trinity with Richland, release Steamroller, then Kaveri (Right now its Richland>Kaveri>Steamroller :pfff: ).

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I don't think it will be to much of an improvement, but we shall see, if it is strong enough, I could see the FX-4xxx and FX-6xxx start to beat Ivy Bridge i3 (I consider them to be on par, other then you can overclock AMD.)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

well, I wouldn't want to put the flexible electronic clothing billboard on a baby, diaper leaks, baby short out ...

although, a short circuit in digital clothing would bring spontaneous combustion to a reality.

But that's because you are cynical about everything AMD do on a 10th of Intel's resource network. But yet despite all your's and others doom mongering about AMD, they still remain and the arch is getting better.

AMD cannot simply just jump to 10nm because their resource namely Global Foundries is incapable of providing that process so its like a pointless argument that gets recycled "if they drop the node" right now GF is transitioning 32-28nm that is what AMD have to work with and yet they still remain competitive in the right markets.

I agree with this, though the changes stipulated are direct from AMD, as to how much that will ramp up IPC will be interesting, it is also nice to see AMD persist with deep pipes, as clockspeed which is stable ultimately also contributes that said I think 4.5ghz will be the cut off for a while, the power needed beyond that starts to become unfeasible.

What changes happen to the x86 side as we know will be a drastically different front end to the Bulldozer arch.

You can isolate all the cores individually, the second core in the module can be shut down but it doesn't noticeably change the fact that the decoder cannot feed the cores fast enough and the L2/L3 latencies and speed is not good. But this will change substantially as AMD move through the Arches.

what amd needs is to change to a smaller nm chip.

and higher performance. first error they did buy ati. second error making htpc like cpus like a8 and a10s. they should of kept one line instead of going every direction. am3+ low powered cpus. mainstream cpu and high level cpu.

the problem is theyve diverted there energy in too many places. they need to focus i have an i5 but just ordered a 8core cpu 8350 cuz was cheaper and i think for the price the performance is there. also planning on getting steamroller. to all those intel fanboys sorry to tell u but the 8core 8350 is a beast.

Yeah the need to move to a smaller node, how they supposed to do that When Global Foundries and TSMC are not capable of producing that node in the first place? Its like having your hands tied behind your back. They can obviously go ask Intel to do their process but will pay through the roof and make absolutely no profits as Intel will milk them for it along with the x86 licences.

How is buying ATI a mistake, the only mistake was paying twice the value of ATI at the time, but then again Hector Ruiz should be shot in the head and left in the middle of the desert to rot. he and his cronies are largely the reason why AMD are where they are, they divorced the assets to put big money in their own pockets, as far as I'm concerned Ruiz and Co should be in jail for fraudulent activities when in position of fiduciary duties.

Product diversification is not a bad thing, FM2 targets a specific market and delivers exceptional performance and value at that market. The AM3+ parts will disappear in the next 2 years because hybrid processing is AMD's vision and thus FX has no future unless the first true high end hybrid processor don's the FX brand instead of Vision brand.

There are several 8-core Opterons. The 8350 will be faster than all of them due to its higher clock speeds.

The first 8-core Opteron is the 8-core Magny-Cours (6100 series) which is a pair of quad-core Stars (Phenom II) dies running at 1.8-2.6 GHz. The Stars cores are slightly faster per clock than the Piledriver cores in the 8350 but the 8350 runs at a base clock that is about twice as high so it is considerably faster in all tasks.

The next 8-core Opterons are all based on the Bulldozer or Piledriver architecture. All are slower than the 8350 since they are clocked lower and use a similar microarchitecture.

- 8-core Socket AM3+ units are all single-die, 4-module, 65 watt units clocked a lot slower than the FX-8100/8300 series equivalents.

- 8 core Socket C32 units are all single-die, 4-module, 35/65/95 watt units clocked anywhere from moderately slower to a lot slower than their FX-8100/8300 series equivalents. The fastest 8-core C32 Opteron is the Opteron 4386 with a 3.1 GHz base/3.8 GHz max speed. That is within 100-200 MHz of the 95 watt FX-8300 but moderately slower than the 125-watt FX-8350.

- 8-core Socket G34 units are all dual-die MCMs comprised of two 2-module dies. They have a 115 watt TDP which is pretty similar to the 8350 but are clocked a little slower because the two sets of IMCs, L3s, and HT links all eat power and lead to lower clock speeds. The fastest 8-core G34 Opteron is the Piledriver-based 6328 which has a base clock of 3.2 GHz/max Turbo clock of 3.8 GHz. Those are slower than the FX-8350 by a 800 MHz base/400 MHz max.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Kaveri is supposed to be 28nm, which is why all of us Steamroller speculators want to see it, to see what AMD can do with the new fab. I think they will throw in more graphics horsepower on Kaveri, and just use a cut down Steamroller design with no L3 cache.

jdwii

Splendid

No offence but everything you mentioned is why Amd is still alive.

Again how is this True? Even Intel is losing money because of the lower-powered CPU's(why would i say app's?) what your describing is a Company from 2005 in 2013.

Amd is expecting 20% of the profits to come from the consoles alone.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AMD+Interactive#symbol=amd;range=3m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

Their stock has gone up since last year!

1) thats old

2) AMD at that time droped to 1.89 Low share trading, it has been as high as 3.00 in recent times, but then settled down around the 2.60-2.70 mark.

3) Business restructuring is not necessarily a bad thing and is not a new thing. AMD did however oust a lot of lower level engineers and replace them with a apt number of higher level engineers from Intel, Nvidia and a few other. Id rather have 1000 highly skilled engineers than have 5000 iffy ones.

meh still alot of jobs that are cut. poor people getting there jobs deleted.

thats not old thats last year. thats not considered old.

hell amd doing alright but i see in the future might be bought out by intel if they cant make enought money, hell it wouldnt surprise me.

jdwii

Splendid

Yes but if they didn't buy ATI they would be far under maybe even out of the stock market i'm not saying they didn't over pay for ATI but they needed them. Blame Global foundries and AMD's management/Marketing. Even Amd's new CEO is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.