AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 559 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

you actually made a blanket statement.
anyway, intel's lga11xx lineup is overpriced from top to bottom. intel doesn't change price points, only releases cpus with minor clockrate bump and mid-single to low double digit performance improvement every generation.
as for the fx6300, you oughta thank amd's own stagnation, market condition, and lastly - intel. if intel leaves out a price and performance gap, amd sics centurion cpus on that.

jdwii

Splendid

No not really when it comes to the Pentiums. The I3 i agree a 6350-6300 any day but the Pentium is a good choice and Intel boards are REAL cheap now and come with a lot. Lets take a look at watch dogs
CPU_01.png
Here the Pentium dual core is outperforming even my old 1100T and is even with a 110$ Kaveri Quad core.

Now lets look at other "Next gen" games
BF4
This guy on Youtube(the lowest measure of evidence) maxed this game out with his Pentium
I won't dare talk much about games that are made with only using 2 cores heavily which most still are for now and as shown on watch dogs 2 Intel cores equal 4 Amd ones in those cases but when a pentium doesn't equal a 100$ Amd quad core it equals a I5 when games use 2 cores at 1080P. For example
bioshock-results-645x462.jpg
hitman-absolution-results-645x462.jpg
tomb-raider-results1-645x461.jpg
sleeping-dogs-results-645x461.jpg
metro-ll-results-645x461.jpg

However its not always so black and gray
CPU_03.png
Its not easy to even recommend anything for cheap everything has very huge bottlenecks. I have to say a 6300 is what i would personally recommend since its fast enough for older games and is beating intel in newer ones or is even per dollar and of course its application performance is better.
Based on this evidence we can conclude that a Pentium equals a Quad core fx in newer games(most of the time) and a I5 in older ones using less cores. I would never say that is bad value and as stated before those same boards can support a I7 in the future if someone wants so upgrade.

logainofhades

Titan
Been debating on helping my sister out with a system upgrade for Sims 4. She has a core 2 E8190 with a GT 240 right now. As it sits now, it kinda struggles to play WoW @ 1280 x 1024. It pegs the CPU @ 100% usage quite easily. I am thinking a trip to microcenter is in order, in the near future. An FX 6300, GA-78lmt-usb3 paired with my old GTS 450 should make for a decent enough upgrade on the cheap for her.

jdwii

Splendid

In the U.S?
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-Processor-Edition/dp/B009O7YORK
I3 haswell
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-4130-FCLGA-Processor-BX80646I34130/dp/B00EUUKVXM

???????

Plus looking i have to spend 60$ on a AM3+ board instead of 45$ on a intel board just to get a 970 board. The Intel board i am seeing is a 51$ now instead of 45$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731

This has 2 USB 3.0's, PCI-E and so on i used this board for the I5 build my friend got its a very good board for so cheap. Amd needs a complete new refresh on their higher-end boards. I think the main reason why Intel boards are getting cheaper on the low-end is over power management since Intel uses about half the power. Not to mention intel has more integrated on their CPU
Personally i wouldn't get anything lower then a 6300 for gaming even the quad core PD without L3 for 80$ wouldn't cut it i would rather have a Pentium then since older games will be as fast as a I5 and newer ones would be about equal to a 750K and you can get a Pentium for just 60$ vs 80$(750K) and 20$ on 400$ builds is a huge difference

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah even Sims 3 uses 3 cores under my tests i'm guessing 4 will probably use the same sloppy engine and the graphics are meh and probably a 260X(750 TI) is more then enough. 8GB of ram and you are good. Sims 3 skips on even my PC which is lame
Also since Windows uses the 6 core fx as a 3 core with 6 threads its best to get that at least to allow for maximum performance for 3 threads.
One thing i LOVE from Amd is their Athlon 5350 build bet my butt i will be building one soon very soon and the total cost for everything is 250$ and that includes a 1TB hard drive, i'll be using this as my future HTPC builds. Amd great work.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Brilliant people as Keller can do better things than average people with more budget, but Keller cannot do miracles.

The comparison with K7/K8 doesn't hold. Even assuming that now AMD has the same budget than then (which is an unfounded assumption), the context is different: modern designs are one order of magnitude more complex, AMD relies heavily on third parties, and AMD is no longer competing with Intel alone. Moreover, K7/K8 were not designed from scratch, the K7 was heavily borrowed from a former DEC/alpha design, and the K8 was a minor modification to the K7. The same about Hypertransport; Meyer and Keller based it in Alpha's Lightning Data Transport. Now Keller doesn't have DEC advanced designs to copy... Finally, the K7 was released in an epoch when Intel did make several strategic and execution errors, which increased the success of AMD designs.

Keller return will almost guarantee AMD CPUs will be very competitive (at least I hope so), but the old times of AMD humiliating Intel in raw performance are gone. In fact, during last conferences AMD claimed

No similar comment for x86 was done.

I am pretty sure that AMD next arch. will not outperform Skylake.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

That the new architecture will be highly modular instead monolithic is not my speculation.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

In the first place I expect Skylake will bring about 40--50% improvements in floating point. I also expect also big upgrade on the graphics side. No idea about integers.

Average OC frequencies achieved with air cooling from Lynnfield to Devils Canyon are

i7-880: 4.3GHz (45nm planar)
i7-2600k: 5.1GHz (32nm planar)
i7-3770k: 4.7GHz (22nm finfet)
i7-4770k: 4.5GHz (22nm finfet)
i7-4790k: 4.7GHz (22nm finfet)

Haswell 200MHz reduction is explained by the introduction of FIVR on die. However, DevilsCanyon get back at IB levels (I predicted DC would hit 4.8GHz). The reason why Ivy overclocks poor than Sandy was that the introduction of finfets modified the shape of the voltage curve as shown in next figure

GewwXCn.png

Around ~1.32V the 22nm FF curve crosses the 32nm PLN curve. This is the point where Ivy, Haswell, and devil Canyon hit a voltage wall. Neither 14nm FF nor subsequent nodes have crossing point, which means that Broadwell-K will overclock better. If everything else goes the same, Broadwell-K would hit ~5.5Ghz on air.

22m FF was an intermediate process for the transition [planar --> 3D]. 14nm FF will introduce again classical scaling. Moreover Intel 14nm will use second gen FINFETs., whereas Globalfoundries/Samsung and TSMC will use first gen.

AMD will not have a clock advantage over Intel.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

As I mentioned before, the whole team responsible for the Bulldozer fiasco was fired: the engineers, the CEO, the vice president of engineering... AMD did learn the lesson years ago.

In fact, the posterior AMD's Jaguar/Puma cores are not based in CMT modules and outperform Intel similar cores. It is Jaguar as well the core used in the consoles that saved AMD finances. Piledriver continues generating loses to the CPU division.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

Skylake will support AVX512. Basically we can expect the same difference from AVX to AVX2.
Intel had big plans on their iGP, so we could suspect atleast 60% improvement.

I would suspect skylake to introduce another ALU/AGU per ALU cluster.

Basically broadwell to skylake will be like ivy to haswell. (In my predictions)

logainofhades

Titan

EA is claiming that Sims 4 will work on low end hardware far better than 3 did. Count me in on the skeptical group on that one. Funds will be a bit limited, so the GTS 450 is all I can do GPU wise, for now. I can probably give her one of my HD 5850's once I replace those with GTX 750ti's, unless AMD can answer with a faster card with similar power consumption. The HD 5850 is roughly between an HD 7770 and 7790 in performance.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Now expect 200+ reposts by Juan that "hire" actually means "fire".

8350rocks

Distinguished
Jim Keller has had tons of time in the industry working on projects since K7...if he says it will be better, I have no reason to doubt. Though, like those I know at AMD, I consider it a win if they are within 5%.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Current Intel arch is about 50% faster than current AMD offers in regards to IPC, if next x86 AMD arch gains 50% it will put them right where Intel is sitting NOW, and i bet Intel will also bring a good bunch of extra performance on Skylake, therefor i do not expect AMD to even match Intel with their new Arch, but 50% gains in IPC is quite good none the less.

logainofhades

Titan
I have to agree that the GPU division has been carrying much of the weight financially for AMD lately. The console wins helped big time as well. Desktop sales are down, and have been for awhile. Even laptops are probably not doing as well as tablets are currently. I remember AMD was wanting to get more into the mobile sector, with regards to tablets, but I haven't kept up with them enough to see where they are with that ambition.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

They have a lot of building blocks from K10, Bulldozers, Cats and now A-57. Hard to say what you can get using them in good design.

JK worked on A7 which is close to Sandy Bridge (but bigger, so overall it isn't that good).

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Juan did you even watch the AMD Core Innovation Summit? Lisa Su and Jim Keller said that x86 is just as important as ARM or did you chose to tune that part out? Keller also said that the build process will be fast, he and his team are taking things from other builds/ arch that AMD perfected in the past and implement them in the new Arch. Your assumptions that the new x86 Arch won't outperform the K12 are asinine and unfounded.
One last thing I am sure that Keller has plenty of funds to build his new x86 toy, all your nonsense just sounds like sour grapes cuz it's not all about ARM!

logainofhades

Titan

Sounds like they are doing what Intel did when they scrapped crapburst and made Core 2. I really hope this new arch is a winner. Phenom II was a very solid chip, and still are pretty capable. More capable than faildozer, and not really all that far behind piledriver at similar clock speeds and core counts. Had they been able to take the memory controller improvements of faildozer/piledriver, and tweaked PhII in a way that it could handle the higher clock speeds, and core counts, I think we would have had a far better chip than what we were given.

8350rocks

Distinguished
I would like to point one thing out...as at the time we did not know...

When Jim Keller said, "AMD are on track to catch Intel in high performance cores"

We expected that would be excavator likely...knowing what I know now...that would be the next uarch.

As for 50% better IPC with Intel, no...they have roughly 10-15% better IPC with better hardware prediction. I put this forth...

AMD is on the rise...we will see what comes...

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

But branch prediction is one of factors which influence IPC. Who cares how good the rest is if you can't utilize it?

So every software that relies on prediction (i.e. almost everything) is AMD-biased?

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Luckily, we now have 2 roughly comparable chips in terms of core count and frequency: The 8350 and 4790k.

8350rocks: are you saying that the 8350 is within 10 to 15% of the 4790k on average in cpu tests (I.e. excluding gpu limited tests)? If so, then I'll be asking myself why I've waited so long to upgrade the amd way instead of being tempted to go intel for the first time in 18 years.

he can't be called wrong. as with all p.r., if he turns out to be right, he'll gloat. but if he turns out to be wrong, he'll claim "but...the data we had at that time showed that." he's kept enough gap for face-saving. :D as of now, take everything he says about future stuff with a steam-excavated pile of NaCl (notice the puns!! the puns!! i worked hard on those!!). it's better than nothing after amd's gone back to silent mode after the 7800 apus announcements. no, the 9590 trickery doesn't count.
i'm looking forward to the tonga gpus.
@8350rocks: do you have anything on the new tonga gpus? i thought those were gonna be called r9 275x. now i read about r9 280/280x... is amd messing with the model numbering again? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.