AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 584 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
@cazalan, this is a from someone watching this thread

I think your speculation/predictions are more accurate and have more base than most posting in that thread, the way some talk to you in general is just wrong imo, eg the misquotes and taking what you say out of context. At first I thought it was the language barrier but its not, I understand your English perfect, I think 'those guys' are just [...] I enjoy your posts keep posting.

I have similar quotes from more people if you insist on your personal attacks.

@noob2222, I said I would be nice and don't remind everyone which were your laughable predictions. You continue being very wrong about baselines. As a final note I find it very very very disturbing that you are comparing me to your "ex".

@jdwii, current APUs are for mainstream because (i) are bottlenecked by slow DDR3 memory and (ii) 28nm is not still the required node. I explained this plenty of times.

@wh3resmycar, What I said and what you claim I said are two different things.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Unsurprisingly Nvidia finally admits that will not supporting MANTLE. I find lovely how Nvidia reps. contradict themselves when say one thing and five minutes after the contrary

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-finally-officially-speaks-about-amds-mantle-will-not-support-it-no-real-benefit-using-it/

I would expect a similar official claim from Intel rejecting MANTLE support.

genz

Distinguished
I will say this. AMD are still managing to be competitive on the integer side of things, and with their CPUs in all new consoles, we will start to see games become increasingly optimized for their ratio of INT to FPU performance. This may end up with us seeing Intel squander it's additional FPU capability instead of the current trend of AMD having integer power to spare.

That, plus hUMA, Mantle and HSA means that AMD still does have a few cards in it's corner. AMD seriously needs a cash injection however. It hasn't realized that without marketing to a higher standard it will not survive.

jdwii

Splendid

Never did i even think Nvidia would support Mantle i doubt many in the industry did. To be honest it surprised me when Intel asked about it.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

HEDT is a niche market. Moreover, last quarter results show that the CPU division continues loosing money (huge 20% revenue decrease compared to same quarter 2013).

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/press-release-2014jul17.aspx

Without a competitive CPU product, the best AMD could do is reduce loses by cutting down projects and jobs.

If a new console was win by AMD, they could receive another flow of fresh cash to remain in business up to the K12 core and its derived x86 core are ready. However, I don't expect miracles for such cores. I expect Haswell-level performance more or less.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yeah, maybe there is some reason why my post began with "Unsurprisingly" :lol:

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
It's Nvidia after all you know....I see absolutely no point in wanting or going to Nvidia GPU's...for one vastly overpriced and that price does not get you better performance either, like they want you to think they really are superior quality so higher price... Nvidia really likes to think they are so much better haha.... AMD has done a hell of a job with the 7xxx/R9 Series....good enough for me...

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Integrated sound is one thing haha that "good enough" can be acceptable for most uses...but for real audio enthusiast some of the really nicer cards really are something amazing....

jdwii

Splendid

Have to say it being a person very picky in audio the smart people do not go with sound cards they go with DAC/AMP. One that is not inside their computer with all that noise.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Let's look back in the THG forum time machine shall we? On 6th May, I'd noted:

Another thing to note is that Carrizo is nowhere to be seen on AMD's updated roadmap. It goes from Kaveri, Beema, Mullins and Seattle in 2014 to Project Skybridge in 2015. No Excavator, no Carrizo anywhere.

With limited resources, it wouldn't surprise me if AMD has thrown all it's chips on the table (no pun intended) for Skybridge, canned Excavator, and at most we'll see a Kaveri refresh at some point to plug any gaps until Skybridge arrives, but not a full blown Excavator/Carrizo.

And later on...

I'm betting that if we see Carrizo, it'll be to Kaveri what Richland was to Trinity.

Let's see who responded...

When I questioned that:
I'm not sure I ever saw a roadmap making a reference to a cancelled product.

What I do know is that there is a slide that very clearly shows Kaveri, Seattle, Beema and Mullins going directly to Skybridge with no intermediate step. What reason would they have to leave out Carrizo from that picture?

I got a dickish response:

Ah the good old [strike]imaginary friend[/strike] buddy from AMD who seems to know sweet FA!

8350rocks

Distinguished

There is actually going to be a desktop platform out at that time that is not BGA, different codename, should be FM2+ compatible as well. As of yet unannounced...

8350rocks

Distinguished

It is the single market in PCs that is still growing, it also generates the highest margins of any segment of the consumer PC market.

If you think AMD would abandon it, you would be wrong, I have confirmation from the person to ask for such things. AMD are going to dive back into large servers and HEDT full steam once the new uarch launches...

Still no announced codenames...

I cannot talk much more about it unfortunately at this time...however, there are some things coming.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

It is a shame, really. AMD finally gets games to be optimized around their hardware after years of Skyrim and Starcraft 2, and they squander their software advantage by not pushing HEDT.

http://usfinancepost.com/pc-still-gaming-market-is-double-compared-to-consoles-21581.html

According to Steam, AMD has a 26% market share. So that's still quite considerable compared to consoles, specially the new ones with AMD APUs inside. If they were capable of releasing a killer product and could get their market share up to 40% or so, it'd be viable. Specially considering the fact that PC gaming is expected to grow.

To crunch some numbers for you, AMD gaming CPUs are a $5.59 billion business for AMD. Gaming GPUs are a $6.45 billion market for AMD. I do not think those are niche markets for AMD given those numbers and the fact that they lost $36 million last quarter. I realize the gaming market is stretched over time, but it's still not so niche. AMD has some room to grow there and considering Intel's Broadwell plans, the time is ripe.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

The split between dual and quad is nearly even and it practically takes up the entire market. To be honest with you, by the time 2015 or 2016 rolls around, we'll be up to our necks in console ports that use 6 to 8 cores and all those dual core folks are going to need an upgrade. AMD coming along with 14nm parts in that time frame with 8 core being the low end and 16 core being the high end would really do well.

If you read my link, you'll also see that research shows that people who buy gaming PCs also do a lot of content creation. Meaning that AMD getting HSA to those users is very important. Video editing, transcoding, streaming, rendering, compiling, etc all GPGPU accelerated with HSA, or with a big, fat CPU would be excellent in that market.

The market is stagnant. I had an i7 920 before I upgraded to FX 8350. And the only reason I did it was because I wanted something new to overclock and the 8350 was a lot faster rendering. If all I did was game, the i7 920 would still be an awesome chip when overclocked and I'd still be using it.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Also at this point I would except "Eng_something", not concrete model name.

There *is* a potential bandwidth improvement in mobile- as currently mobile only supports up to DDR3 1866 due to power constraints, so if the increased efficiency of DDR4 allows DDR4 2400 on a mobile platform there is a big up side. On the desktop, no there is no improvement to be had because desktop isn't power constrained.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Exactly...as well as other issues I see with that screen shot...

Generally yes, but some of the discrete audio cards beat similar priced amps straight up. Lets face it, amp quality audio @ $99 (Creative Soundblaster Z), or dedicated headphone cards for ~$160 (ASUS Phoebus/STX) beat amps at that price. Nevermind these cards are much easier to mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.