AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
^ Phoronix doesnt do any "leaks" or "breaking news" . It reports on the open source code, which 99.9999% of the press ignores, because

1. Its linux, ususally
2. Deglamourised, because its low level
3.Its linux.

Anybody and everybody can confirm Phoronix's validity. Its super easy. Just download the source code and see for yourself :)

The only "leaks" they did AFAIR were
1. Intel Valleyview (?) SoC's have HD4000 GPU.
2. Names of the Haswell GPU configurations.

And anyone can check the veracity of these claims. Just subscribe to the linux dev channel.

Did GCC ever get around to implementing proper dispatching? I remember that as being a big issue when compiling code that might run on various CPU targets. Had lots of people just compiling for 586/686 targets.

hansmoleman1981

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
socket AM3+ is dead. Steamroller/Excavator uarch exist, but not as high perf desktop CPUs. They will be Trinity type APUs.

Look at any roadmap by the company in recent history, no AM3/Orochi RevC+ chip is listed. Trinity Richland has "piledriver" cores. The next trinity will be Kaveri. But there are no more AM3+ socket CPUs from AMD. Its over.

jdwii

Splendid

What? any proof since Amd said countless times that steamroller will be on AM3+?

pd cpus look like desktop derivatives of pd opterons... with some features (dual ch. instead of quad ch.) disabled. kinda like sb-e cpus. am i right? as long opterons exist, steamroller dt cpus will also come out in the future.
now if jaguar-based cpus take up opteron lineup, that'd be a different story....
i think amd won't change sockets until new ddr4 (late 2014-15?) memory becomes mainstream. then they'll implement new imc, pcie controller (or a new unified platform) at once. until then users have to bear with am3+ and am3++. good news for existing amd owners, underwhelming news for new buyers.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

You are looking at 2013 road maps, Piledriver will last throughout 2013, and Steamy is 2014, that is why it is not on road maps.
AMD already said that they will continue support for AM3+ after Piledriver, and the APU's are a cut down version of the FX line, do you have any clue what you are talking about here?

good news for existing amd owners, underwhelming news for new buyers.

How is it underwhelming? What do you want on AM3+ that isn't already present? A "new socket" isn't new if it doesn't offer something that didn't exist previously. PCIe 3.0 is the same pin-out as PCIe 2.0 and that's implemented on the motherboard chip anyway. The HT links between the motherboard chipset and the socket aren't anywhere close to being saturated, even on dual x16 or triple x8 configurations. Honestly under DDR4 is out and available to consumers there is absolutely no need for a new socket. They could add on 100 blank pins and call it "Socket 1040", is that what people are asking for?

i agree. all these things are gimicks. ddr4 doesnt seem that interesting. pci-express 2.0 to 1.0 dint change much. same for 3.0.

same as sata2- and sata-3. ill actually be impressed when these technologies actually get used for something other than bragging rights

DDR4 will be revolutionary, especially for APUs. The PCIe jumps tend to be three to four years early. A year or so again we were just beginning to see PCIe 2.0 x8/x8 configurations start to bottleneck at high resolutions with obscenely large AA/AF settings. I don't expect the bandwidth on PCIe 3.0 to be needed for another two years. USB is handled by the south bridge / media hub / whatever not the CPU.

thanks for telling me except one thing. if uve already got a motherboard. gonna be costly to have to buy a new one just for ddr4. also when people say apus is that the graphical part of the processor thats onboard? i get confused with these terms thanks.

even when u think u know alot in computers, theres always something new or someone that knows more my dad told me.

he was right.

The memory controller is inside the CPU nowadays, you can't just throw a current CPU onto a board with DDR4 and have it work. Instead you must buy a board, CPU and memory together, this typically happens when someone is rebuilding their old system or replacing the entire thing all at once. So it won't be any more expensive then it is now to build a new system.

APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is AMD's term for when you take a CPU and a GPU and put them on the same die. When we say APU we're referring to Llano, Trinity and now Richland. Their low power Piledriver CPUs with a low power Radeon GPU built into them. Memory performance is of utmost important to anything GPU related as GPU's employ large SIMD arrays to process a large quantity of transactions at once. You can often tell the general performance level of a GPU by it's memory bandwidth. Right now GPU's are using GDDR5 which is a special type of high performance DDR3.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Arguably, most intel procs have been "APU's" since Sandy Bridge days. (maybe older,if you consider the first gen core i5's too)

Those didn't have dedicated vector processors just basic frame-buffer and media acceleration. It was AMD who glued a GPU (literally it was a cut out Radeon) onto a CPU, though Intel wasn't very far behind them. The big distinction is that the "GPU" is capable of doing some form of alternate processing such that it's treated as a coprocessor instead of an exaggerated frame buffer.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

I would call this a GPU.

The big distinction is that the "GPU" is capable of doing some form of alternate processing such that it's treated as a coprocessor instead of an exaggerated frame buffer

You could game on those, albeit poorly. And it did have computation units to accelerate game graphic calculations(meaning, it supported the DirectX API) over a pure CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.