AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 63 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you still have the SoC approach. Or the Package route as well. I know it's cheaper to just slap everything into the same die, but heat production will get too messy IMO. Now, like noob2222 points out, AMD has a very clever design to have better dissipation. Adding low power parts (generating heat parts, that is) won't be such a hard thing to do, but since the die could get too big, there's also the yield issue at hand.

It's not a simple balance to just slap things into the die (now that I think about it), since the yield and ramping are tied too damn close. You could lower the cost of the entire platform for sure by slapping everything to the CPU die (NB, GPU, SB, IMC, PCIe, etc), but then low yields will be expected and prices would still rise unless you do so on a mature node.

Intel has been slowly slapping stuff to the CPU and I think it's the correct "rhythm" to follow. Since GF and TSMC don't have the same yield and ramping (and process), Intel is leading the pack here.

And regarding the HT links. I remember doing OC to the IMC and the HT link in the PhII. It worked fine for the most part, but don't remember the exact OC. I'm sure I have some pictures of it, haha.

Cheers!

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

optical transistor based cpus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_computing
http://www.gsu.edu/news/63294.html
090702080119-large.jpg

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
before consumer "optic procs", i think we could be switching to graphene or gallium based processors.
Optics, the way they are currently being researched is just to increase the internal bandwidth of buses. There isnt any clock speed increase per se. And light isnt being used to make gates, or for logic. Its being used like an on chip fiber optic.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The transistor layouts will have to continue to improve to accommodate the heat generation. We're only at rev 1 of FinFet technology. The goal is to further reduce leakage current so voltages can get much lower and still be stable. Power goes up as a function of Voltage squared times frequency, so every mV reduction helps.

The thermal modeling software/simulations have to get better too. Knowing where to add additional thermal vias in "hot" areas. It adds some die area but you can pack the "cool" areas more densely to compensate.

http://www.electronics-cooling.com/2004/08/thermal-vias-a-packaging-engineers-best-friend/

That's why they say we need faster computers to make faster computers. Simulating all this physics and verifying it in the lab is a tedious and time consuming process.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
is it possible to insert some metal wires in die (just like candles in cake) during manufacturing so these wires will help in faster heat transfer but increased die size (atleast it will be better than 95w in under 1mm² area :p ) ?

or in other words
just like ventilation system in subway/tunnels

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Yes they're called thermal vias. See link a couple posts back.

Apparently, Graphine has some issues due to lacking the ability to shut off electron flow, making solid state devices impossible. Its loosing favor as the next-gen material of choice as a result.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/nanotechnology/graphenes-new-rival
http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/nanotechnology/graphene-is-losing-favor-as-the-twodimensional-material-of-the-future

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

It does appear to utilize more cores but those 8350 to 6300 numbers look odd. It's 14% faster which is the same 14% clock speed gain. That means 2 more cores added nothing.

It could also mean they used the 6 cores from the XBox as a threading target, haha.

Cheers! :p

Which makes sense if none of the cores are near 100% on the 6 core system. Its not a bottleneck, so the higher clock speeds win out.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Don't just look at the FX-8350, check out the FX-6300, its trading blows with the i5 2500k, and right behind the 3570k!

Blandge

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

This is wrong. The 20 degree increase in IVB temps was due to using a thermal interface material between the heat spreader and the CPU die which causes a gap to form between the cpu die and heat spreader (on sandy bridge the heat spreader was soldered on which replaces this gap with solder). Removing the head spreader and reducing the distance between the head spreader and cpu die and replacing the TIM decreases temperatures by.... guess how much? 20 degrees.

The lower overclockability of IVB has to do with 22nm finFET device characteristics, not heat dissipation.

Check out this thread over at Anandtech for a detailed discussion.

Delidded my i7-3770K, loaded temperatures drop by 20°C at 4.7GHz

Delidded3770k47GHzresults.png

Finfet is designed for lower v threshold, allowing for same perf, less wattage, less heat per mm.
As finfet gets better, the better question is, will it be enough to compensate for newer nodes?
I think it will, as like blandge (almost mispelled that) points out above, it could be some sandbagging going on, as better heat dispersion can be had down the road easily, combined with 2nd gen finfet should be no problem, after that tho, who knows?

Blandge

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Mark Bohr over at intel gave an interview where he talks about several transistor technologies that have better physical characteristics than even finFETs have today. Just like HKMG and finFET technology, there are more innovations that will be introduced in the 10nm and 7nm timeframe that will push transistors to lower voltage and leakage, and smaller dimensions.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Will it get the Oculus Rift? As of now, it won't, so I really don't care about it!

Edit: Just saw a picture of the controller, and it seems innovative, but a also seems like a feature the 50% of the crowd will like and 50% will hate, also, it looks like poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.