AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 681 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

meanwhile at amd :whistle:
bike.gif

8350rocks

Distinguished

Yet...you are overlooking the point...

Even with DP cut in the 290X it is still far superior to the 980. Where the GTX 580 is still 50% faster than the 4 year newer card.

Yes, AMD cut back on GPGPU in non-firepro cards. Sure...it is acceptable to drive sales on commercial cards.

However, they did so by a small margin...

What you are doing is condoning NVidia cutting it by 200% because NVidia.

Also...you kept mentioning earlier that "we will still be using register stacks and cache..." as some type of argument over bandwidth.

Are you not at all familiar with how CPUs/GPUs are designed? The way the architecture works there will always be register stacks and cache. Branch prediction requires cache, or else you would be miles behind if you cut it out and missed a prediction.

I honestly find it increasingly difficult to even bother to take anything you say seriously when a "processor expert" does not even understand the basic tenets of the architectures being discussed.

There will be no point within my lifetime, or my children's lifetime, that a processor will not have registers and cache...barring a fundamental, and universal, change in processor design on the scale of an epiphany-esque discovery that would leapfrog technology as we know it by several orders of magnitude.

So please...take your "speculation" and NVidia praises back to S|A or where ever else you go.

LOL @
we will still be using register stacks and cache

Let me know when you come up with a better way to design a processor without those 2 items...

Also, bandwidth has very little to do with that part of processing. You will always need placeholders for data while the processor is working...good luck tying registers to bandwidth. Even the human brain has components that act like register stacks.

Now if I had to cross a surface like that then the square wheeled bike would be *considerably* more comfortable than a round wheeled one. From what I understand however, HSA is about offering you 'multiple wheels' so that you can use the square wheels on that surface type, round ones for smooth surfaces, and wide deep treaded wheels when you need to cross soft surfaces. The concept is use the most efficient tool for the job at hand (without having a lengthy penalty to switch between them).

I fail to see how designing flexibility into hardware is a bad thing, and HSA (or something very much like it) *will* undoubtedly become ubiquitous moving forward. It's impact is probably being over-hyped, it's probably more an evolutionary thing (like how all modern processors have moved away from the old FSB to more modern interconnects, or how the IMC is now integrated and I don't think anyone would argue for an off board system like we had years ago). I think one thing about HSA though is all it does is break down the barriers between different sub systems. It doesn't remove the requirement for the individual parts of the system to be good- a really poor CPU portion of a chip will still be poor when it's needed. What HSA can help with is where currently fundamentally parallel code is being run on a CPU core when it would be more efficiently executed on a GPU cluster but the cost of moving it there outweighs the benefit. It's benefit (like all these things) is highly dependent on situation and it has a potential to improve things for *some* applications.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Superior is not the word to use by reasons explained before...

Cutting the DP performance by 1/2 (1/4 compared to pro) is not what I consider a "small margin".

You would read carefully what I wrote.

I always enjoy when you ignore/misread what I write or just take it out of context and then use it to simulate you are teaching me something.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Following the analogy, there is only two kind of wheels on HSA: big squared and small squared.

The problem is that HSA is essentially reinventing what other approaches do. AMD decided to took the more convoluted, costly, and inefficient approach:

0) Adquire a company (ATI) to get access to GPU hardware.
1) Take a GPU core (VLIW4) and transform it into a compute core (GCN).
2) Since that GCN core runs its own private ISA unrelated to CPU ISAs, design a common HSAIL ISA.
3) Add HSAIL to both CPU cores and GCN cores.
4) Add hUMA, hQ, and all the needed hardware to bring GCN cores to first-class status.
5) Develop all the needed software stack: HSA languages, HSA compilers, HSA kernels,...
6) Wait to developers to generate the HSA applications.

Instead taking a simple single-ISA heterogeneity approach:

1') Take a latency optimized CPU core and derive a throughput optimized core from it.

This is the simple, cheap, and elegant approach taken by Intel for the Phi KNL. And also by Cavium ThunderX and others.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Remember that bit I said about Nvidia people defending a significantly (lol 200%) slower product in some benchmarks? Why am I always so right about this stuff?

Juan, those parts that were in Fermi that let it do so well in DP GPGPU are gone. We also saw them disappear with Kepler and even moreso with Maxwell. In fact, even professional Kepler parts were not as good at GPGPU as Fermi.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663-13.html
Look at OpenCL and CUDA benchmarks. Quadro 6000 is the Fermi Quadro and Quadro K6000 is the Kepler one. Notice how Kepler really likes to lose? And the two cards both fall into the $5000 price range as high end Quadro products.

Look good and hard at those benchmarks. Notice how 7790 beats GTX 690 in bitmining? But my drivers! Never thought I'd be hearing Nvidia people write off issues on bad drivers.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I think I finally got your point and will stop here.

Nvidia is doing it so bad lately that (i) only owns the 85% of the GPGPU market, (ii) broke a GPGPU benchmark record with its last card, (iii) was selected to power the fastest supercomputers built up to the date, and (iv) has safe finances.

At the other hand AMD is doing it so fine lately that (i) is rebating FirePros by 50% to try to sell them, (ii) doesn't own the performance record, (iii) has not been selected to power the fastest supercomputers, and (iv) has financial troubles.

8350rocks

Distinguished
@juanrga:

You are comparing an install base over several generations of commercial products to one AMD has only recently gone after heavily.

Let us consider the sales figures recently...

Also, your double gpu workstation card comparison smacks of cherry picking in ways that are either flatly ignorant or openly insulting.

Let us see what happens when a 295X2-esque firepro card comes along shall we?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Interestingly, in Luxmark, the 780Ti is only ~100 pts better than the 270X.

Considering PPW, which one is the clear winner there? The 190W AMD card, or the 250W 780Ti? The 270X is also a 3 year old GPU now...

Hmm...I guess that means in about 3 years NVidia might finally beat a 7970GHz in openCL. Man, what a great buy that card was years ago...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I am simply giving market share percentages to put each company on its place.

Before or after the 50% rebate?

Right, comparing the more powerful GPGPU card from Nvidia against the more powerful GPGPU card from AMD sounds to that. :sarcastic:

Let me guess: it will be crushed by Xeon Phi CPU by the one side and Pascal GPGPU by the other side.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Comparing a DUAL GPU card to a SINGLE GPU card is about like comparing a "most powerful" ~2300 ft. lbs. torque drag racing diesel truck to a "most powerful" stock 800 ft. lbs. torque diesel truck...sure they both are the "most powerful" but one is clearly more powerful by de facto simply because of the faulty comparison...

Let us see what happens when a 295X2-esque firepro card comes along shall we?

Not much. Speaking as someone from a company who actually purchases that stuff in bulk, you could discount it to be 1/10 of the cost of NVIDIAs offering, double the performance, and it won't matter one bit because not buying NVIDIA is not an option because the guys with the purse strings have no idea what an AMD is. (Seriously, I've had discussions like this before.) And even if they did consider it, when they find out all those CUDA apps we made won't work, the chances of a purchase go to 0.

THAT'S AMD's problem: NVIDIA cornered the market first. CUDA caught on because people like me like to play with new apps. And now AMD has to convince corporations to dump their software in the toilet and do it all again in order to use their hardware. That's not happening.

As a result, AMD has ZERO chance of ever winning in compute, regardless of cost or performance. Sorry to pop your bubble, but there it is.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I work in risk management and one aspect of that is supplier dependency risk. If your mission critical processes depend on only one supplier then that is a risk. That's how strategic decisions can swing from using things like CUDA to Opencl.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Not even close. Comparing the most powerful GPU from AMD against the most powerful GPU from Nvidia is like when one compares the most powerful CPU from AMD to the most powerful CPU from Intel.

Of course you did never complain when 16-core and 12-core (DUAL die) 6000 series Opterons were compared against (SINGLE die) 5000 series 8-core and 6-core Xeons. Everything was ok for you...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

CUDA inertia is only one of the problems. The other problem is that the raw compute performance of AMD cards will be lost in the PCIe bottleneck, whereas Nvidia has developed NVLink and Intel has developed a socketed version of the Phi.

8350rocks

Distinguished
@juanrga: Not really...look at cost...you can put 3 workstation gpus from amd in a single workstation versus the cost of that one gpu. Where you now lose in compute...again.

@truegenius:

Not in the manner you are thinking.

jdwii

Splendid

Like when everyone else does it to Amd with the fx series i will say this the majority of software matters not very few benchmarks. I'll say this one more time if Nvidia thought it needed more compute over fps they would of designed the architecture that way. I would however really like to see the benchmarks you guys are talking about and then we can look into performance figures and comparisons.

jdwii

Splendid
i'm guessing the new firepro will probably heat up the room and use a lot of power if its made on 28nm. Anyways doesn't Nvidia hold the highest record i mean they did when many design wins that actually matter for super computers. And gamer makes a good point,

jdwii

Splendid
^^^ When i say gamer makes a good point i'm saying that sadly is true. At the place i work at they would never change anything unless it was a BIG BIG thing. Sometimes i hate not being the one who picks these products Amd would probably make more money from me since i would be choosing their A10's for every single desktop at the school with a SSD in every PC. Nope have to have a I7 and a 7670(oem).

Status
Not open for further replies.