AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 726 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

It has been quite rough for AMD since 2011, another year will make no difference.

logainofhades

Titan
This will be worse than normal. Phenom II was still competitive, price/performance wise, vs Sandy Bridge. Piledriver FX did well in that regard, and even with ivy bridge, to an extent. The gap widened a bit with Haswell. With Broadwell and Skylake on the way, that gap is even worse. AMD needs that new arch now, not a year from now. :(

vishera cpus (i.e. fx6xxx and up) are very competitive against intel's core i3 and core i5s. intel has only three well-performing-for-price processors right now but none of those are as good as fxes, especially if you want to build a cheap machine. both pentium-k and core i3 4160 are underpowered (dual cores only) and core i7 4790K is too high-priced compared to FX (6xxx and higher). broadwell and skylake won't change that until zen-based processors come out. bdw and skylake will have a very messy pricing and skylake may end up being more overpriced than haswell.

Uhm... The chart says ~8 TFlops; that's roughly equivalent to the Titan Z and the Titan X is just around the corner (me thinks). I wonder how much time the 390X will have as king. If nVidia didn't increase the flops for the X and focused only in efficiency, then they could have the upper hand in compute per watt (pro segment digs that, haha).

Now, the Titan X will be USD$1K MSRP (90% confidence, haha), so AMD might put the 390X, me thinks, at USD$700 MSRP and go down from there. Why? This thing will put 4K in the table I'm sure and will edge out the 980 by not such a big margin, but enough to crown it king for a while. Plus, they need the market share. Anyone else with a prediction on it?

Cheers!

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

I missed the part where Windows 10 exclusive means neutral and where Microsoft isn't a vendor.

Sad to hear rumors of 390x being pushed back a little bit.

logainofhades

Titan

I am more interested in mini-itx setups, as of late, so it matters to me.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
4096gcn looks possible under 300w limit of atx
they already have 2xhawaii under 500w, and now they have hbm (means more tdp room for gpu) and less gcn than 2xhawaii, and optimization of gcn1.2, maybe improved voltage adustment (power tune ¿ ) and maybe more mature process ¿

btw, will we still get 4x higher resolution on 8k screens using vsr/dsr ?
~132mp resolution, yum :D

logainofhades

Titan

Up until recently, I have used nothing but AMD cards, in my main rig, since my HD 4870 1gb. The GTX 770 I bought cheap from a friend, as I needed a card.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Piledriver is/was far from competitive and the reason why AMD did lost server/desktop/laptop market share and money. AMD needs the new arch for yesterday, but will be not ready before end 2016 early 2017.

Nvidia presented the Titan X as the fastest GPU in the world. According to preliminary benchmarks Titan X will be faster than 390X at 1080p, and both will be neck to neck at 4K.

Embra

Distinguished

Both those cards are not meant for 1080p. Who cares which will be faster at that resolution. Totally looking at 4k with these cards. Do you play computer games?

logainofhades

Titan
I have taken a break from gaming, but mostly played WoW, when I was gaming. I am cheap, so there is no way I will be buying a 1440p or 4k monitor any time soon. I have more important things to spend my money on, right now. Especially since I run dual monitors. The cost of two decent 4k monitors would probably be enough to buy my rebuild kit for my Bronco. ;)

Sorry to be so mean to the dead horse, but...

Vulkan standardizes & replaces Mantle. "Best possible starting point we could have had, although I am really biased."

https://storify.com/jkampman/valve-s-vulkan-presentation-at-gdc-2015

That's a tweet directed to "@repi", which is Johan Andersson: "Technical Director on Frostbite at Electronic Arts".

So, about that Linux port... AMD delivered, but in a very roundabout way. Vulkan is replacing MANTLE because it's a "superset" (if you like) of it and AMD gave its blessing.

Cheers!

EDIT: Darn tags failing on me! lol

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

By giving performance at two resolutions, 1080p and 4K, you can extrapolate to obtain an approx. idea of how the cards will behave at some other resolution. So simple like that. :sarcastic:

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Neither AMD delivered on promises about linux ports nor Vulkan is a "superset" of Mantle. To be a superset Vulkan would include everything from Mantle, which is not the case...

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
So... did AMD announced what was their new goal regarding MANTLE? they promised to state it today... unless it was just vapor like 98% of their stuff lately.

jdwii

Splendid

Nice card.
Also i stand corrected about Mantle if its truly the same code as OpenGL next then good still not to sure how much of that is fact vs PR really doesn't matter anyways. Amd still gets their goal and Nvidia/Intel had to do little to get it to!

I personally think in 3 years 4K(if not 1440P?) gaming might be 20% of the market for PC's but not until then. I hope know one really thinks a 290X or 970 is acceptable for 4K lol(maybe 1440P). When watching some Teksyndicate videos one of the sapphire guys said the 8GB 290X is for content creators more then gamers but logan said he will check it out with some skyrim mods that can use all the vram.

AMD to introduce its Radeon R9 300-series lineup at Computex
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-to-introduce-its-radeon-r9-300-series-lineup-at-computex/
Microsoft: DirectX 12 will increase your graphics performance by an additional 20 percent
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2893316/microsoft-directx-12-will-increase-your-graphics-performance-by-20-percent.html
a.k.a. yvan eht nioj 01 swodniw yub 01 swodniw yub 01 swodniw yub 01 swodniw yub 01 swodniw yub yvan eht nioj

amd freesync update
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9052/amd-freesync-update

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

My opinion: once the original plan failed, AMD will maintain now Mantle as a kind of internal API for experiments and so, will do a pair of public announcements and occasional demos just to say the API is alive and well, and then will leave it die silently until finally no one remember it.

The title and main text are a bit incorrect. The author posted an update explaining that "the 20 percent improvement was in addition to the frame-rate increases that Microsoft has disclosed previously". I.e. it is a 20% extra improvement on top of the >50% improvement from DX11-->DX12. The total improvement was >80% over DX11.

As stated before DX12 will be faster than Mantle and will introduce new stuff is not in Mantle. In this case the extra 20% is from using the "new ExecuteIndirect feature". Note as well that the demo used an Intel Core i7 4770R (with Iris Pro graphics 5200 installed), which invalidate certain ruminations made before about Intel graphics in this same thread.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I agree, but they promised to explain on Thursday their future plans for MANTLE... and they did not announced anything... Damn it they just been doing this crap all over and over again, it is getting on my nerves.

AMD Blog Quote:
Mantle’s definition of “open” must widen. It already has, in fact. This vital effort has replaced our intention to release a public Mantle SDK, and you will learn the facts on Thursday, March 5 at GDC 2015. -
See more at: http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/02/on-apis-and-the-future-of-mantle#sthash.sHCyiTQG.dpuf

I think i am ready to give the finger to AMD products.

Status
Not open for further replies.