AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 725 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I don't think it is a net win for AMD. They had to move away from the original strategy by 180 degrees.

For AMD to have done a 180°, they would have said something along the lines of "we'll keep MANTLE away from everyone else and no one will ever know what it's about", but they've been very vocal about sharing it with everyone.

As usual, you're being dramatic on your take. They do have to slow down with MANTLE, since DX12 and OGLN (Vulkan) are re-using parts of the API's concepts, so they don't want to compete 1:1 with either for good reason.

Now, I do agree with you on 1 single point: I still don't see where AMD can net a profitable win with this.

Cheers!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

DX12 is vendor neutral, but faster than Mantle even on GCN hardware!

OS specific, so you can extract a lot of efficiencies OS side.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Original: Mantle will be ported to linux and apple
Final: Mantle will be windows exclusive

Original: Mantle will be open to everyone
Final: Mantle will be available only to our partners

Original: New devs would chose Mantle as base API because Mantle-->DX12 is easier than DX11-->DX12
Final: New devs would not target Mantle, but use DX12/Vulkan directly.

Original: Mantle is a complete success. Dozens of new Mantle games will be released before the end of 2014
Final: No word on the promised games.

Original: ...
Final: ...

Maybe it is not a 180 degree spin, maybe it is only a 172.6 degree, but you get the point.

There's a lot of silver lining on what you're saying. For example:

"Mantle will be open to everyone" -> They're releasing the full API later on this month: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Mantle-Docs-Coming

What hey said, they'll keep supporting those who have chosen to stick with MANTLE before hearing from MS'es DX12 and Vulkan.

"New devs would chose Mantle as base API because Mantle-->DX12 is easier than DX11-->DX12" -> I'd like a direct quote on that one, please. If you think that's what they meant, I have another reading for you: Since DX12 is a behemoth and Vulkan is basically MANTLE, please use either for your own convenience. The "easier to develop" was from the Marketing slide you put some while ago and I found ridiculous.

"Mantle is a complete success. Dozens of new Mantle games will be released before the end of 2014" -> When there are a lot of Devs that took the API you created and started working with it, yeah, it is a success at the time. If stuff happens down the road with the development process, that's not something AMD can get it's hand dirty on. I'm really surprised you want to put the blame on AMD for that.

And last, but not least:
"Mantle will be ported to linux and apple" -> Apple said no, you want AMD to shove it down Apple's throat or something? And once Khronos wanted to take a look at MANTLE and continue with Vulkan, why even bother on making a Linux port when Khronos will do it for them?

The more you say about AMD, Juan, the more butt-hurt it sounds. You're twisting the words badly. I won't say I'm not doing a positive spin, but what you're doing is like a hate crime, haha.

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished

Juan, the functions in Vulkan are all the same functions in Mantle with different extensions down to even having the same names. Check the link above. They literally just modded a few things and boom...Mantle is Vulkan.

Also @Yuka:

Glad to see that come to light. VR has been something they were working on for a while.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

LCDs are holding back graphic cards at this point. I was gaming on a 1600x1200 (1.9MP) CRT in the early 00s and most people, over 10 years later, are only at 1920x1080 (2MP). The total number of pixels is not that far off.

The push for VR is in part to the fact that it'll finally get graphic cards pushing something beyond a single 1080p screen. From what AMD showed at GDC, you're basically looking at two 1080p screens for a VR headset. It's still 1080p, but it's twice as much as a single 1080p screen. Considering we've made pretty much zero improvement in pixel density in the last 15 years. I'd even go beyond that, Carmack developed Quake on a 1080p CRT in 1995. 20 years and no major improvements outside of 4k being out of reach for most people.

That's the real problem with graphic cards at the moment, that and we've reached the point where we see massive diminishing returns with the amount of time and money invested into games to increase graphic quality.

http://www.maximumpc.com/amd_announces_liquidvr_sdk_gdc_2015
AMD has some exciting announcements, one of which is massively improving multi-GPU latency for VR (and I'm assuming it'll work just fine for standard Crossfire as well). They're also mentioning using multiple dGPUs to do compute related things, like image warping, like I mentioned they would be doing.

FX4100 > Phenom II 980 BE xD!

Yeah, something is really wrong with that game.

Cheers! :p

logainofhades

Titan

Only thing I can think of, is the game really loves cache. That or it is a very memory sensitive title, that takes advantage of quad channel DDR4 2400.

Cache maybe? Would actually help explain the results if the game is very sensitive to CPU cache.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Fair remark, but I guess that Valve will optimize SteamOS for Vulkan.

It sounds more efficient than Mantle by the use of pre-compiled SPIR-V.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

"AMD no longer has plans to release a public Mantle SDK"

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-mantle-dead-known-vulcan-api-uses-mantle-technology-opengl_159339

Kronos has not made a linux port of Mantle. Vulkan is not Mantle. Moreover, the arguments given by AMD to justify Mantle on Windows apply to linux as well.

AMD original plan was DX12/Mantle on windows, Vulkan/Mantle on linux, and Metal/Mantle on Mac. The plan has changed completely.

Some code looks like Mantle other code doesn't. Vulkan is a collective development from different members of the Kronos Group. AMD contributed Mantle, other members contributed different stuff. Kronos group has confirmed that Vulkan is not mantle, explained in what parts Vulkan differs from Mantle and even why some part of Mantle were rejected for Vulkan.

AMD has contributed Mantle towards the development of Vulkan, and though we need to be clear that Vulkan is not Mantle
Vulkan is definitely a working group design now

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I remember spending ~$800 for a quality 21" 1280x1024 CRT in the 90s.

Today you can get a UltraHD 24" 3840 x 2160 IPS for about the same. Even better if you adjust for inflation. That's quite a bit more dense. Effectively 6 monitors in 1.

In that same link you can also read this:

WHAT THIS MEANS
OpenGL has long and deservedly commanded respect for being a fast, versatile and wide open API that works on all graphics vendors across multiple operating systems.

Meanwhile, Mantle has seen acclaim for many improvements in gaming and game development: higher framerates, reduced rendering latency, reduced GPU power consumption, better use of multi-core CPUs, and re-pioneering new features like split-frame rendering.

Vulkan combines and extensively iterates on these characteristics as one new and uniquely powerful graphics API. And as the product of an incredible collaboration between many industry hardware and software vendors, Vulkan paves the way for a renaissance in cross-platform and cross-vendor PC games with exceptional performance, image quality and features.

And that's taken from the AMD blog site according to your link. In any case, LIKE I SAID, AMD sees no need to rush MANTLE out in the open since Vulkan and DX12 will take most of it and do something big enough to satisfy most things MANTLE promised. Now, for the "openness" itself, they said they'll announce something at GDC. Wait until then to keep on bashing AMD on this one.

In any case, AMD has to think what to do with MANTLE. I'm thinking they might use it to showcase GCN strengths and force some standardization. That's a double edged sword, but the first try went fine, I'd say. I wonder what's in for AMD on this; I still can't come up with something that explains all of this "trouble" AMD has gone through with MANTLE.

For short, and how most people understand it: Vulkan > MANTLE. Clear enough on what I mean when I say "Khronos will do the job for AMD"? Independent on what the original plan was, they haven't done a 180° on that. Things just didn't work with Apple and on Linux Khronos gave them an offer they could not resist; and it didn't involve dead horses, haha.

"Vulkan is MANTLE just like OpenGL is Glide". Let that sink for a minute, will you?

Cheers!

Oh for **** sake... will you lot *stop* bashing on Mantle and think about all this for a seccond?

Frankly it doesn't matter 1 jot if Vulkan is or isn't based on Mantle (though I think you'd have to be pretty biased to argue it had no influence over it's design).

It also doesn't matter if Mantle was or wasn't an integral part / reason for DX12.

1 thing is clear, graphics api's are finally developing after a very very long hiatus. I personally think Mantle kicked the various parties into action (undoubtedly there would have been some ground work in place before Mantle, however I also think that without it the new api's could have been quite a way off).

As for 'is this a win or loss for AMD'? From a purley financial view point, it doesn't make much difference. However, it will allow more modern games to make better use of multi threaded architectures which is definitely a benefit for AMD's cpu side of things. On the graphics side, as much as some like to claim how 'AMD is doomed', frankly I see no evidence of that. They've been keeping pace with nVidia for the last for generations (when starting from behind when they took over ati). nVidia currently have a lead with Maxwell, but lets see what amd's latest looks like before declaring them dead in the water, as it's always like this when one vendor is a generation ahead (look at reviews of HD 7970 vs GTS 580 :p).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The impact of Zen on servers will be small. I guess AMD will sell Zen to former x86 Opteron customers (2--3% of servers). AMD only hope to gain significant market share is K12:

It's a longer-term play. We think it gets there and maybe if you ask me right now in the 2019 timeframe, I say 15% of the overall server space is in the ARM server business. When you get transitional space, AMD's market share today is like 2% or 3%, nothing to really talk about.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/37184-amd-hopes-15-of-servers-will-be-arm-based

Status
Not open for further replies.