AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some of the internet leaks or rumours:

1) the CPU will continue to support DDR3 until DDR4 becomes the standard in which case the CPU part will have support for DDR4.

2) The iGPU component will have exclusive usage to the integrated GDDR5, for graphics bandwidth is king.

Some of the implementations;

1) SoC design with 1GB of GDDR5 integrated onto the SoC, this seems the most likely.
2) Graphics card style Chips on PCB, since we know AMD's steamroller arch makes reference to multiple processor addon support this is very feasible.
3) Hybrid RAM, one half GDDR5 the other side is DDR3/4

Current APU's are only able to achieve 20-40GB/s bandwidth depending on DDR3 used, this was very similar to GDDR3 limitations and the move to GDDR5 has seen now up to 350gb/s. Another thing is GDDR6 is soon also to be out and it appears another avenue for AMD to feed its iGPU some potent bandwidth. Testing DDR3 1066 going to 1866 yield around 50% improvement. For the iGPU component alone AMD needs the bandwidth. for the CPU side improving the IMC is more fundamental.

fx may be a success. but it's sales are so top secret that No One talks about it. not even in quarterly conferences or in earnings reports.
since no news on new chips....
AMD announces SKY, the new cloud gaming line
GDC 2013: Shock of the year, AMD nails marketing
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/03/27/amd-announces-sky-the-new-cloud-gaming-line/
i admit, i didn't pay attention until s/a pointed out the details. kudos to amd. i hope to see more of this in the future.
AMD teases us over the HD7990
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/03/27/amd-teases-us-over-the-hd7990/
AMD Delivers Unified Gaming Strategy at GDC 2013
http://www.techpowerup.com/182037/AMD-Delivers-Unified-Gaming-Strategy-at-GDC-2013.html

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
NVidia announced last week that their Volta GPU (after Maxwell) will use stacked DRAM. Probably not until 2016 though. That's stacked next to the GPU not on embedded like Intel is doing with their GT3.

nvidia_volta_gpu_card.jpg

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I saw that. Interesting that the GT1 part seemed to disappear. Maybe Intel finally realizing that low of graphics is no good. And to add more confusion GT3 comes with and without embedded RAM.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I drool at the thought of achieving the equivalent of dual 7790 performance on an APU platform. Where did Tom's hide that thumbs up button?

George Siamanis

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
who cares if intel's cpu is faster i have amd 8150 and i kill everything i put it on it.i kill every program and every game i try it so AMD was better from intel in half money and without any problems(heating-overclocking and more... )im very happy for my 8150 and that they say so many who bought 8150.So i think steamroller is my next buy.Only bad in case is if AMD not change the am3+ with newest chip cause am3 is like my grandma right now.

Incorrect HT bandwidth by a very large amount.

HT3.1 (2008 and forward, so basically everything we have now) is 3.2GHZ DDR speeds. The older 3.0 standard was 2.6Ghz DDR speeds and was made in 2006. At 16x unidirectional (the 32x link is broken into two directions) that equates to 12.8 GB/s in each direction for HT3.1 devices. That's a VERY far cry from the 8GB/s you quoted above. Furthermore graphics products are just now starting to use more bandwidth then a single PCIe 2.0 8x connection can provide.

Right now there is no need for PCIe 3.0 connection to the CPU, it's only a space saving measure as you can use an PCIe 3.0 8x link instead of a PCIe 2.0 16x link. This may change in the next three to four years, but it won't be a deciding factor in the next two.

Also what many people are probably getting confused is the difference between what the CPU supports and what the chipset supports. AMD BD/PD design supports HT3.1 @3.2Ghz but the 990FX does HT3.0 at 2.6Ghz so while the CPU supports higher speeds the motherboard / chipset producers didn't feel the need to utilize them. HT3.0 at 2.6Ghz ends up being 10.4GB/s.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
^ even my phenom 2 1090t supports ht3.1 (3.2ghz)
you can check it using hwinfo64 summery
x16/x16 ht@2ghz to ht3.0 is enough for pcie x16 v2.0
but not for pcie x16 3.0
though pcie 3.0 is not needed now (atleast for single gpu)

here are some number crunching
[strike]ht2.0[/strike] ht@2000mhz x16 = 8GB/s bandwidth (unidirectional)
pcie2.0 x16 = 8GB/s bandwidth (unidirectional)
thats where the problem was (that means you read it carefully :whistle: )

since i see many phenom 2 with 2ghz ht so i mistyped it as ht2.0 (actually ht2.0 = 1.4ghz)
means i thought that 2ghz is ht 2.0
here are correct speeds (wiki :D )
ht2.0 = 1.4ghz
ht3.0 = 2.6ghz
ht3.1 = 3.2ghz

btw
is it correct :??: ?
HyperTransport 2.0 (1.4 GHz, 32-pair) 179.2 Gbit/s 22.4 GB/s
HyperTransport 3.0 (2.6 GHz, 32-pair) 41.6 GB/s
this means that ht2.0 is ddr and ht3.0 is qdr :??:

@truegenius

The dependency typically comes with the motherboard chipsets. The 990 (and by extension the 8xx) only did HT3.0 speeds and AM2 was at HT2.0 speeds. Chances are a newer "1090" chipset would use the full speed of HT3.1.

The irony is that most people expected AMD to be dead by now, nobody expected a full line up on all platforms plus a few healthy surprises.

Lets see if the financials stabilize this year. They still aren't in a good financial position at all.

Its better than it was last year and it is certainly better than it was 18 months ago, it has levelled out but seems to always fall when a Intel lie comes out or Nvidia start talking about in house FCAT software or when reviewers punt up the next Intel/Nvidia circle jerk.

This time round AMD have tangible offers, royalties and sales will give AMD a rolling income, the same thing for all the new partners AMD has taken onboard, These are the small things that AMD didn't have that are of tangible importance outside its product line.

As above I have mentioned that AMD's position is a fragile one, first off a reviewer is going to review an AMD product under the expectation of being perfect, if it is not perfect the review will be negitive. Intel and Nvidia are under the enviable position that even a failure is punted up to be more than it really is. When I read a TH review on anything AMD, I am struck with the immediate sense of "I couldn't be bothered, please god let my conclussion come quickly", the general market are like sponges, if you tell people that Intel integrated solutions are better than AMD's they will believe you, you tell them a GTX640 is faster than a HD7870XT, they will believe you, the myopic view on Intel and NVida has the effects of seeing AMD's NYSE ratings drop, everytime someone says Intel iGPUs are equal or better to Richland an angel dies and AMD stocks fall, Intels goes up...go figure.

As of the last financial numbers I saw (Q4 2012), AMD had enough cash on hand to cover one year of operations at its current profit loss level. Granted, this was before the selling off of its campus, which will help, but the question is this: with just over $1 Billion cash on hand, can AMD sustain too many more quarters of $100 Million+ losses?

The difference now from then was in 2012 the only product AMD had was Vishera, This year we have Richland, Kabini, Tamesh, Graphics cards from the 7790 to 7990 to skycloud parts, there are also server grade jaguar based systems, XBox, PS and game partnerships with a number of developers. These bring capital.

AMD's stock position in December was around 1.9, its gone up to a high of 2.9 this year albeit levelled around the 2.6 mark.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

That where AMD's marketing engine need to step up. Making a good product and selling it are two different things.
But then, AMD bit off more than they could chew during Zambezi. They promised heaven, and the product was just above hell. Granted they made PD quite a good product, but by then, the damage was done. That is why they had to retire their FX brand yet again.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Isnt Temash Dead-On-Arrival (already outdated, previous generation) ? As far as i know, Temash is already superceded by Kabini, with no real user devices build atop Temash.
XBawx and PS4 should bring some revenue, not sure how much.
And we have yet to see a Richland review, even though it has been RTM for about a month now.

EDIT: I may seem a hater, but really i wish the best for AMD . We need more competition in the market, and its bloody time AMD gave us a WOW product.

Do the math, if the revenues from having 2 gpus was ok, now add 1 more gpu and 2 cpus into the mix for consoles.
Add in their ability to do "other" solutions so readily and handily, add in their ability to keep growing in their IPC improvements better than their competition, who has a comanding lead, but becomes less with each iteration from AMD, plus the good enough factor.
Lets again look at something, the new leadership and attitudes for example.
In their gpus, where we see some micro stuttering, now, they seek a solution, and low and behold, in doing so, they find alot of perf besides.
The leadership will find better ways, better angles (think of the potential gaming wins currently) and it isnt just RR doing this, they have at least 2 more grand fellows thats new, one in marketing, primarily for gaming, the other, a cpu designer extraordinaire.
We all know why they joined on, yes this is a challenge, but I believe, one that wont soon be forgotten, and where these peoples satisfactions, where theyve all been credited highly in the past, is nothing but pure motivation for them.
I see their leadership as never before, and as omeone mentioned earlier, its all about the money, no, if anything its not about the money, as AMD has been riding this fence for ages, its the leadership, those who can give the company some wings to clear it

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Temash and Kabini while similar are for different market segments. Temash is for tablets and runs in the 1-1.4ghz range. Kabini is to replace the low end laptop/desktop chips in the 1.8-2.2ghz range.

Kabini will use 3-4x as much power as Temash (<4W) so not even close to the same market segment.

Both are the first chips from AMD with the Platform Controller Hub (chipset) integrated, so they are a true 1 chip solution.

Great. Now translate that into sustained revenue.

And some PS4 H/W details, some if it very interesting:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/sony-dives-deep-into-the-ps4s-hardware-power-controller-features-at-gdc/

Norden started by focusing on the chips, including the 64-bit x86 CPU that he stressed provided low power consumption and heat. The eight cores are capable of running eight hardware threads, with each core using a 32KiB L1 I-cache and D-cache, and each four-core group sharing 2MiB of L2 Cache. The processor will be able to handle things like atomics, threads, fibers, and ULTs, with out-of-order execution and advanced ISA.

So two banks of L2 cache shared by four cores.

Sony is building its CPU on what it's calling an extended DirectX 11.1+ feature set, including extra debugging support that is not available on PC platforms. This system will also give developers more direct access to the shader pipeline than they had on the PS3 or through DirectX itself. "This is access you're not used to getting on the PC, and as a result you can do a lot more cool things and have a lot more access to the power of the system," Norden said. A low-level API will also let coders talk directly with the hardware in a way that's "much lower-level than DirectX and OpenGL," but still not quite at the driver level.

The low-level library sounds a step above what libgcm was for the PS3. Not shocked that Sony is still allowing that level of access, since it can greatly increase performance.

The system is also set up to run graphics and computational code synchronously, without suspending one to run the other. Norden says that Sony has worked to carefully balance the two processors to provide maximum graphics power of 1.843 teraFLOPS at an 800Mhz clock speed while still leaving enough room for computational tasks. The GPU will also be able to run arbitrary code, allowing developers to run hundreds or thousands of parallelized tasks with full access to the system's 8GB of unified memory.

Speaking of memory, Norden hyped up the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM in the system as the type of memory that's currently usually found only on high-end graphics cards. Calling the RAM "expensive" and "exotic," Norden stressed that you "can't buy this [RAM] for 50 bucks... that's why high-end graphics cards cost as much as they do." The 176 gigabytes of total bandwidth provided by that GDDR5 RAM are much more efficient than the 40 gigabytes a second provided by the standard DDR3 RAM used in most current computer systems. The unified address space should also cause fewer headaches for developers than the mixed architecture of the PS3, Norden said.

We've already had our debate on this topic. Moving on:

The development environment coders will use is based on Windows 7 and fully integrated with Visual Studio 2010 and 2012, allowing developers to debug PS4 code just like PC code. Tools will include C and C++ front ends that are largely compatible with most standard compilers, and various binary utilities, including CPU and GPU analyzers that can run in real time alongside games. Development houses will also be able to distribute tool and version updates to multiple dev kits more easily through a tool integrated into Windows Explorer.

Looks like MSVC is still king.

As for the physical hardware itself, the PS4 will have a Blu-ray drive that's "up to three times faster" than the PS3's drive and will include a "very large" hard drive in every system.

No shock here.

So all in all, nothing too surprising here.

The relationships, the attitudes coming from AMD to their partners for one.
Back in the day, somehow the leadership at AMD couldnt give their chips away, and yes, there were other things involved at the time, but nonetheless, the leadership failed AMD when it had the superior product at the time.
No one knew some of the things going on til way later, and I dont mean within the tech industry itself, but the wider scope.
I have a feeling that wider scope is well plotted by current leadership, of course you need the HW to reach the potential, but unless people think AMDs offerings are trash, theres the answer

Well, on the console side, depends on whether they bent over or actually managed to get a good deal out of Sony and MS. Either way, it should provide sustained income and it adds to a possible positive cash flow (revenue; good EBIT) when you add volume sales to OEMs that hopefully they'll get from GPUs and later on from the refreshed/new APUs.

I'm really doubtful about Tablets and low power stuff to be honest (ultrabooks/thins included) will give AMD serious cash. ARM and Intel are saturating the market there already; it's a fierce battle in there and AMD doesn't have any product that makes me think it will give them the upper hand. At least, not yet. Even Intel is in a position where it makes me think if they'll make it there.

Anyway, I agree with sarinaide on AMDs position. They are way better than before. It doesn't translate into "profit" right away, but a strong line up portfolio is certainly a good thing to have for any Company, specially after the financial WOES they've had on 2011 and 2012. It shows they still have battles to fight (and win, hopefully), so the show keeps going.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.