AMD Cuts Prices of its Radeon HD 7000 Series

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
and i still have my 6850 wanting to cfx it i guess off to flea bay but i like it but this darn bf3 and ultra i hope 7850 is cheaper so i could get one of those to cfx in future well maybe i win off a scratch ticket

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]EzioAs[/nom]^ Agreed. It's not low enough. Let's hope after the 660ti comes out at a frickin $300, which is high for a mid range-card, the 7800 prices go down more.[/citation]
If Nvidia delivers on predictions that 660Ti will beat 580 that's nothing of the mid-range kind. $300 for a card that will run BF3 on high settings in 2560x1600 at 60fps is cheap.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
That's about 10 dollars cheaper than the 7970 I just bought at the time I bought it I was wondering if I would buy another for X-fire but it's been handling my 1920x1200 display fine on it's own.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]disgruntled_old_fart[/nom]Newsflash: Random people on the internet are more qualified to say what the price **should** be for these cards, without any regard for supply&demand, manufacturing costs, inflation or the companies overall profitability. Probably the same people who think Obama's trillion dollar deficit in 2012 dollars is more money than Regan's 500 billion dollar deficit was in 1980's dollars. You know, back when Regan took office, a candy bar costed 25 cents, but that was probably before most of you were born...[/citation]I think you're about 4 trillion dollars behind now. Also the economy was stronger when Reagan left office than when he started, in particular inflation was no longer insane and out of hand (sound familiar?). Employment and poverty numbers were better as well.

But regarding prices of graphics cards, compared to prices of baseball cards (with sticks of bubble gum inside the wrapper) during the Reagan years, you've got a bit of a point. I think.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]novaguy[/nom]There's nothing else out that that can run slot power that competes with the 7750. Would be nice if nVidia put out the 640 with gddr5 to start a price war in the slot power market, but they didn't.[/citation]Nvidia has been knowned to have poor performance/price on their lowend segment I do not have any high hopes on GT640 gddr5 pricing, since the GT644 DDr3 is already quite close to cheapest 7770.

G

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]The 7850 can play pretty much any game with the resolution of at least 1080p and the texture settings maxed out, but has an MSRP of $249. The naming system might place most of the supposedly mid-ranged cards above the $249 mark, but unless you consider a resolution over 1080p as mid-ranged, the mid-ranged cards (or in this case, really just the 7850) is at $249.[/citation]
HD 7850 runs even 2560x1440 just fine. You can max everything out except AA and still get over 30 FPS.

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]I wouldn't mind knowing what the current price of a GTX 580 is, to put all this in perspective. Let's remember that, despite the calls for lower prices, GCN isn't exactly a small chip.[/citation]

GCN is an architecture, not a chip and even the Tahiti chip in the 7970 is smaller than the Cayman chip in the 6970, although only slightly. The Cayman was already not a large die either.

I don't consider 30FPS playing well, especially in FPS games, but that's me. I'd rather at least get well over 40FPS. However, the 7850 can usually reliably hit a 40% or so overclock and that should be enough to break 45FPS in such a situation if it got over 30FPS before the overclock. That, I could call playing just fine. Regardless, this is a good point.

G

Keep in mind that when I say at least 30 FPS, I'm talking about the most demanding games. For example, Metro on very high at 2560x1440 using AAA runs at 30-40 FPS which is quite playable. Same goes for Crysis using DX11 and HD textures.

Less demanding games like Deus Ex: HR or Sniper Elite V2 run at as high as 100 FPS.

I realized that. I have a 7850 myself and am well aware of it's capabilities. I simply said that I would not like playing FPS games at only over 30FPS, even if the performance is justified because it would be running a very high resolution, and gave overclocking as a solution to improve it.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]GCN is an architecture, not a chip and even the Tahiti chip in the 7970 is smaller than the Cayman chip in the 6970, although only slightly. The Cayman was already not a large die either.[/citation]
And the reason for Tahiti being such a large chip is because of the GCN architecture. No need to split hairs. :)

In any case, Tahiti may be (slightly) smaller than Cayman, but it sports far more transistors. It's possibly also worth mentioning that just because a company has moved from 40nm to 28nm that it's not going to be automatically cheaper to produce even die-shrunk products, let alone much more complex ones, not until yields are better and TSMC gets a proper handle on it.

G

I'm running my HD 7850 at 1050 MHz core clock. The point is that HD 7850 is a mid range card, but has good 2560x1440 performance in most demanding titles and even excellent performance in other modern games that are not as demanding. I think you can't beat it for that price, especially if they reduce it.

[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]I'm running my HD 7850 at 1050 MHz core clock. The point is that HD 7850 is a mid range card, but has good 2560x1440 performance in most demanding titles and even excellent performance in other modern games that are not as demanding. I think you can't beat it for that price, especially if they reduce it.[/citation]

Some people would argue in favor of the GTX 480 for fighting with the 7850 in performance for the money and overclocking performance for the money, but I'd take a 7850 over the 480.

G

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Some people would argue in favor of the GTX 480 for fighting with the 7850 in performance for the money and overclocking performance for the money, but I'd take a 7850 over the 480.[/citation]
I prefer newer technology and lower temperature and power draw. :)

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]And the reason for Tahiti being such a large chip is because of the GCN architecture. No need to split hairs. In any case, Tahiti may be (slightly) smaller than Cayman, but it sports far more transistors. It's possibly also worth mentioning that just because a company has moved from 40nm to 28nm that it's not going to be automatically cheaper to produce even die-shrunk products, let alone much more complex ones, not until yields are better and TSMC gets a proper handle on it.[/citation]

Why are you calling the Tahiti a large chip? The Cayman is not a large chip, yet the Cayman is larger than the Tahiti, so I don't understand why you're calling it a large chip. Tahiti is only 20% larger than GK104. It isn't even the size that it is because of GCN. It's that large for the extra compute optimization and the 384 bit memory interface. The other GCN chips lack these, so it's not even GCN that is the cause of the larger Tahiti die.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
True.

I guess if I reclassified "large" to mean "complex", it would clarify things. The GTX 680 has 3.54 billion transistors which is their highest. Tahiti has 4.313 billion which is a marked increase over Cayman at 2.64 billion and Pitcairn at 2.8 billion, and certainly AMD's most complex GPU to date.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Nothing 'sweet' about $349 in this economy :)[/citation]
It sure is, there in the US. Here in Chile you are lucky if you find it for 450USD

You lucky bastards :(

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotty99[/nom]Is there really a reason to go above a gtx 460/465 level GPU? I bought a 465 on sale for 129.99 in august of 2011 and i have had no problems playing every game i own at 1080p with mostly maxxed settings.[/citation]

You are joking right? Is your "gaming" collection comprised of solitaire/hearts/mahjong?
There is definitely a need for faster GPU's and if you are a dedicated gamer you will be playing with all details maxed out and have higher resolution screen or multiple screens, Or 120hz and play in 3d with mods/texture packs etc etc.
I am at the point where I have had to stop playing Skyrim on my current set up "480 SLI" as it has become unplayable with all the mods and eyecandy. I won't ruin the experience playing it the way it is so will wait for next gen high end cards which are only a few months away now if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.