AMD Deneb 940 Price Hike: 30$ in 2 Days!

papazulu

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
30$ in 2 days! No thank you, I'll stick with Intel. I was just about to purchase my first AMD cpu in 5 years. The Deneb 940 was 194$ at newegg just 2 days ago. Now it is 225$.

Forget that.

papazulu

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008

No. Although venting anger about a sudden price hike may not be kosher with the rules, it is far from constituting trolling. I happen to think it's a quite appropriate post for a CPU forum.

Since you may save $20 to $80 on a combo deal with the PhII 940, or purchase a Phenom II 720 BE combo deal, you don't really have a point, do you?

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

Welcome the capitalistic, American principle of business called supply and demand. :lol:

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Even with a $30 increase it still seems better value than the Intel equivalent to me.

And anyway since this is a newegg increase and not an AMD increase it does make it look very much like you are simply an Intel fanboy just trying to find any excuse to have a digg at AMD.
If you are going to say anything bad about any company at least make an effort and come up with something concrete.

Hmm, did you see THIS article?

A few weeks later, we have X58 motherboards selling for $170 with rebates, a new i7 processor stepping (D0) coming from Intel that promises a little extra headroom in clock rates, and 6GB DDR3 kits selling for around $90. The entry cost to get into an i7 platform has dropped about 34% in the last six weeks if you are pinching pennies like most of us. Guess what, the performance difference in platform selections then and now is less than 2% at best. Only those who plan on serious overclocking need to worry about spending more, but that is always the case.

Another factor in dropping prices is the rise from ashes act that AMD has accomplished with the Phenom II product line. True, it is not in the same performance category as the i7 when it comes to crunching numbers or heavy manipulation of digital content, but the Phenom II is extremely competitive on a price/performance basis when looking at the big picture. Pairing up the current Phenom II X3 720BE with either a DDR2/DDR3 based 790FX/GX motherboard results in some of the best bang for the buck performance you are likely to experience this year, at least until the new X4 95x series comes out.

Of course, Intel has the P55 platform launching later this year and we mention that because DDR3 will soon become the memory of choice for anyone upgrading to a new platform. The Phenom II platform lets you retain your current DDR2 based AM2+ setup until you decide to make the switch and we will soon see that is not a bad option from an everyday performance or cost viewpoint. However, those who need the absolute best performance from the Phenom II should go the DDR3 route at this point.

As was predicted, the entry-level i7 system cost is dropping quickly, so what many people assumed a couple months ago no longer holds.

Just an FYI in case you didn't see it yet..

Isnt it just as predictable that the P2's will also see a price reduction? i7 came first, and can enjoy the first meaningful drops, but as time goes along, I believe well see these on P2 as well, keeping the gap the same

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Actually its your point that holds no ground if he dosent want the combo deal.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
As far as the price goes, its still good for what it can deliver. But with the i7 920 only $50 more, you have to start questioning yourself. And lets not start in with that lameass "mobo/ddr3 cost" debate. Lets keep this CPU.

So you set terms for your trolling to keep the total platform cost of i7 down?

And btw - it would be very hard for the OP Troll to insert a Phenom II 940 into an s754 or s939 mobo - I guess you didn't read the first line of his Troll Post

"" ... I was just about to purchase my first AMD cpu in 5 years ...""

Oops on you.

I can see the usefullness of a post talking about a special hot deal, to get em while they last, but this just doesnt cut it. If its localized to one spot, then get the news out, if one spot is charging too much, then go somewheres else, simple as that, and thats what this post is about, not i7, not really even about AMD, but more to do with sales, and popularity, supply and demand. Good to see AMDs chips going up in demand

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Nothing in your entire post makes any sense. Nothing, at all. Its all random typing. Speaking of typing, dont do it anymore.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

The OP probably didnt realize it was a sale. But if hes building a new system from the ground up (which is assumed by his OP), then $30 shouldnt be a total deal breaker to begin with. That part I cant get, whats $30 in a ~$1000 build?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Lets keep this CPU? How in any way does that even come close to making ANY sense at all? That CPU will require more expensive components, which brings up the price. I don't care if it isn't the CPU directly doing it (it is, the CPU requires these), money is money. For $280 you can get a Phenom II 940 and a good motherboard, or for $470 you can get an i7 920 with the cheapest board possibly, not even pointing out RAM. $190 is the difference between a 4870 and a 4870 X2.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

I understand this, just me. The intent was to keep the topic about the CPU and not everything else. Of course an i7 system is more expensive than a Phenom build, im not gonna be a fool and try to mask that. If I was gonna do that I would claim AM3 boards cost four times as much as they really do, kinna like how enigma claims i7 cost $1100.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
No problem bro. The OP is obviously a troll, as I have NEVER seen anyone get so pissed over a deal, let alone $30. I wasn't even that pissed when I missed the Asus P6T Deluxe + i7 920 for $120 combo near Christmas.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Enigma is a troll. Don't drop to his level.
Focusing just on the CPU doesnt help. It's obvious he's building a new rig, not only adding a new CPU.

Therefore, a PII rig is cheaper than and i7 rig.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

I agree that his post is a little off edge, but if there is any credit to give he probably didnt know it was a sale. But like I said in my above post, $30 shouldnt be a deal breaker to begin with for a new build. Its a given than hundreds at least are going to be spent.