AMD Details Bulldozer at ISSCC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
it is modular design.my guess, it may uneffecient at first build, difficult to design (some mistakes might get in), but in the end, the performance may great. i bet intel might get in the same way if this bulldozer got success. so yes, competition was great.

zinabas

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm getting kinda tired of people comparing 4 Bulldozer modules to 4 of Intel's HT enabled cores as 8 vs 4. If you think about it, it has to be close to 6 vs 4 because the only part of the core that is doubled in the bulldozer module is the integer logic. That is the simplest part of the core as well because integer logic is just minor logic gates per bit. Floating point is much more complicated and is probably the biggest consumer of die space besides the cache on a modern processor and its not doubled in the module, so how is it 2 cores? Intel's cores though have twice as much core logic per core to send 2 sets of instruction through the different parts of the core and its only considered one core (just with 2 brains).

G

I heard that AMD is going to showcase bulldozer in the begginning of next month at CeBit, so guys wait for a week or two before you over/underestimate its performance, and if you want more info just check AMD's bulldozer Blog.

G

+1 zinabas, an 8 core Bulldozer is really a quad for anything relying on FP.
A BD module is about the size of a K10.5 core, so what they've done is basically come up with HyperThreading that doesn't suck... Rather than getting a -20% to 20% performance boost like Intel, they'll get a 0% to 90% performance boost.

leon2006

Distinguished
Until the actual product comes out on time, and kick Intel CPUs through independent benchmark results/data....

This is another HOT-AIR from AMD... Marketing

AMD is getting better in show case, presentation, but could not back it up with real working/performing products

Its AMD/ATI video cards that are cranking kick ass product.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I really wish AMD does well this time and price be good.
so i could replace my Phenom II 955 with newer and faster beast.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I'm sure the new AMD Bulldozer will be fast. But the question is how long can you wait? They have no official release date so if Bulldozer isn't out by April i'll be buying Sandy Bridge for sure...

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I've got my little 1055t at 4ghz and I personally find it to be fast enough for ummm... everything!! Stop complaining everybody!! Not everyone can afford a thousand dollar cpu, but my "dollar store" amd rig will kick the pants off %98 of Intel rigs in existance. Save yourselves some money and put it toward an ssd or a better gpu setup.

Btw, anyone gonna say my cpu sucks can suck on my 7.23 cinebench 11 score all day.. put that in your hypertheaded pipe and smoke it:)

erhardm

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I know that Bulldozer will be something good and maybe cheap. How do I know this? Did you look at Intel how those prices sunk? Why would Intel sell SB so cheap if I didn't know that the competition would be tight?

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey masterof evil22...If those amd cpu's where so good,then how come every body is willing to spend a lot more money on intel cpu's instead...Also anybody can get high overclocking scores also if all they can afford is just an amd cpu...They're so cheap & you do not care if you burn them out...Anyway quite a few intel cpu's can out do yours easily...

G

Whatever you say intel fanboys. Spending $1000 for a CPU is purely stupid. There's always a faster and cheaper CPU later on if you can just be patient enough.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
The waiting for the Bulldozer release is like waiting the the Duke Nukem release. I believe it when I'm holding it in my hands. :)

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Yeah... people who stupidly want/wish for AMD's death are... stupid.It was AMD that brought CPU prices down. It was AMD that had the fastest CPUs against the P4 and Xeons with Netburst. Then Intel got smart and shocked us when they made Core2 much much better and even cheaper than AMD. Even a bottom end core2 type "Pentium 2150" that went for $50 was faster than the $1000 Pentium Extreme Netburst.Back in the PentiumII and Pentium III era in which AMD couldn't compete Intel in performance or reliability (chipsets & low cost mobos caused most stability problems) - *WE* paid $1000 for top in CPUs. Just the CPU! Like the PII-400Mhz or the PIII-866.With AMD Selling 1.2Ghz TBirds for $300 or so... why pay $1000 for a P3 or P4? Of course the earliest P4s were pure crap (slower than P3) and super expensive with $250+ motherboards and crappy EXPENSIVE RD-RAM which was about 3-4x the price of SDR!So in 2001, a typical P4 1.4 bare bones with mobo and 512MB of RAM (only) was about $1500 and it was SLOWER than $600 AMD setup.I use both AMD and INTEL for my computers. The ones I've bought; I have been happy (or mostly happy) with their performance and stability.My "DREAM" system in the next 3-4 months:- AMD Bulldozer X4 under $200.AMD Chipset motherboard with these features (Skipping the basics)- USB 3.0 (native chipset controlled)- SATA 3.0 (native, perhaps ALL ports)- Thunderbolt (Yeah, want that)- PCIe 3.0 (okay, that's wishful thinking)I'll get a 100~120GB SSD unit that is the OCZ Vertrx 3 or better (we have all kinds of drives coming out) for OS and primary applications. Then throw in a 2GB 7200RPM drive for data. Use a thunderbolt external drive unit for mass storage. I may wait until the AMD 7000 series GPUs hit the market.[/citation]

I too remember those times.

There was AMD and Intel guarantees.Intel's guarantees were like Hitler guarantees.Hitler offered peace guarantees but Hitler guarantees offered nothing in the end.All one will end up with is $1,000 CPU's.

G

I've got my little 1055t at 4ghz and I personally find it to be fast enough for ummm... everything!! Stop complaining everybody!! Not everyone can afford a thousand dollar cpu, but my "dollar store" amd rig will kick the pants off %98 of Intel rigs in existance. Save yourselves some money and put it toward an ssd or a better gpu setup.

Btw, anyone gonna say my cpu sucks can suck on my 7.23 cinebench 11 score all day.. put that in your hypertheaded pipe and smoke it

The sub-$400 Core i7-2600K is equal to or better than Intel’s new Six Core $1,000 i7-990X Extreme Edition. How is Bulldoze to compete within its own cohort that includes the forthcoming Ivy Bridge? How?

See Here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-990x-extreme-edition-gulftown,2874-4.html

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
What was wrong with P55? I heard about the H67 SATA issue, but I didn't hear about P55. If I was gonna build Intel, it would be a proper X58 or equivalent tier. If I want to save the money, I'll stick with AMD and get a beefier video card. Eyefinity can really max out my Radeon 5970 as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS