AMD Details Bulldozer at ISSCC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Why do people assume AMD Bulldozer is going to be cheap? I remember when AMD release the 5870 gpu it cost $400...I remember them saying that the products on the gpu is going to cost more because they know it's fast..So if AMD Bulldozer is fast as they say it is then i don't see the Bulldozer hexacore selling for $199.99...I see it selling for more then that...I see it selling for as much as the i7 2600k if not a bit more since it's a 8 core...

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

:'( Don't say such horrid things!

It's funny, that thought has never crossed my mind, but I suppose if it offers better performance than Sandy Bridge quad cores, it will be priced accordingly.

HOWEVER! AMD vs Nvidia is a different competition than AMD vs Intel. In discrete graphics, the market share is closer to an even split. In CPU, Intel dwarfs AMD in market share. AMD may very well stick to competitive pricing just to win over more customers even if they have a stonger chip (which they may or may not).

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
But then again $299 for a Hexacore Bulldozer isn't a bad price lol...Especially if you can overclock it to 5ghz on air...Hopefully the new Bulldozer isn't $499 hopefully it'll be $299 at most...But if it is i'll probably still end up buying the i5 2500k $199.99 at microcenter lol...Can always upgrade the i5 2500k to the new ivy bridge next year when they release.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
its how the cores are used, i think we will continue to see alot of core expansion up into the hundreds before that becomes redundant, its simply a design evolution that will take place that changes. subcores of cores etc. ie a 24 core chip each with 4 subcores, just as thier is scaling now between core 1,2,3,4 you will see sector and subsector scaling with the programing. the architecture and programming go hand in hand.

acasel

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Ill take amd anytime,
1. Their bulldozer architecture is different from Intel or past AMD cpus, what they did is they Overcome the single threaded application to utilize the remaining cores, Due to limited advancement in software and programming that only utilizes i think the most is only two cores most are single threaded... The result is much faster than any intel processor like sandy bridge. +++ they have vpu onbard! Its like an overdrive addon to maximize the efficiency of 3d games, hd movies, etc
2. Price.., since the dawn of time amd had always been the bang for the buck processor that it always pleases consumers eithere high end or low end.
3. Power consumption, aside from the die shrink they have enabled juice saving techniques thatll make any laptop or any nebook shine.
4. I read an article that it will be released this April of 2011

Amd For the Win!!...

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

Why do I keep seeing "Hexacore" Bulldozer being referenced by people? The common models will be 2 Module / 4 Core, and 4 Module / 8 Core (Octacore). 6 Core Bulldozer will likely only surface from chip scavenging a 3 Module chip from a failed 8 Core, like the triple core Phenom II X3. Also, I'm not sure where you are getting a 5GHz overclock from, I really doubt they will overclock THAT far. Stock speeds will likely be around 3.5GHz or something from what I heard (not sure if that is with or without Turbo Core). I'm also wondering if overclocking will be dying off since the manufacturers themselves are starting to utilize that extra headroom with their own built in dynamic overclockings, which are getting pretty decent.

As for Ivy Bridge, does anyone know if it will be the same socket as Sandy Bridge?

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Bigmac80[/nom]But then again $299 for a Hexacore Bulldozer isn't a bad price lol...Especially if you can overclock it to 5ghz on air...Hopefully the new Bulldozer isn't $499 hopefully it'll be $299 at most...But if it is i'll probably still end up buying the i5 2500k $199.99 at microcenter lol...Can always upgrade the i5 2500k to the new ivy bridge next year when they release.[/citation]
Like the SB chips were talked about being backward compatible with the 1366 sockets...right...so, I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatched when it comes to Intel and hoping for upgrading a chip without upgrading the chipset.

Anyways, back to BD. Guess what? You can guess and speculate all you want, it's not gonna change anything. The only big thing here is someone who wants a BD chip, will probably be able to go out and get an A3 platform right now, and be able to just grab that chip later. If Intel is what you want, go for it. The bug isn't a big thing, tbh. They already have a couple work-arounds for it, and will be releasing replacement parts soon. If you like AMD, buy AMD. If you like Intel, but Intel. If you want performance bang-for-the-buck, wait for BD. I have a feeling that release will make the markets a GREAT time to buy things. If they challenge Intel, expect to see price drops, if not, it'll be a cheap release by AMD. Either way, you'll be able to grab a great rig for decent price. I always prefer supporting AMD cuz once you hit the 200-300 mark for a processor, you don't notice too much difference. You can bring up benchmarks, but, those are benchmarks. Not everyday performance. I have a 1090T right now that does everything above and beyond what I need, and I've barely seen it hit 25-30% usage.

Bottom line: Stop whining, grow a pair, and get your rig-building gear on, cuz, we're gonna be in for a bumpy summer ;)

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Concerning the price, I assume the 8-core Bulldozer will be cheaper and faster than the current G34 Magny-Cours. The cheapest 8-core sells for $270 at the egg and the cheapest 12-core sells for $780.

By the way 2GHz for the cheapest Magny-Cours is more than conservative, even considering they run on 1U heatsinks. These chips run stable at 3.5GHz on big heatsinks and I firmly believe they'd make it 4GHz in a good water rig.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i also have recently built an amd 1090t system with hd 5850 graphic card. it costs a lot less compared to building a six core intel system. i mean it costs a little over $1200 due to me adding several 1tb hdd. :) you get a lot more than a six core intel system which the cpu itself is already costing you $1,000 before you even think about buying a motherboard much less a case. people who buys intel have too much money to waste and not enough brains to realize it.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]You know it's going to be crap because they're talking about architecture instead of performance.[/citation]
I like AMD and will buy Bulldozer but I fear what you say is true.

G

If AMD was going to release BD in the next couple of months (Q2) then they would have working processors by now. If they were competitive relative to SB, I would have controlled leaks to select reviewers to dampen enthusiasm for sandy bridge. There is no reason to be quiet about either release date or performance, other than at least one of those is bad news.

If AMD had a product comparable to sandy bridge, it would be a great triumph and AMD would stand to make a ton of money, their CEO would not be leaving in the middle of that.

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]alphadark[/nom]ARGH!!!!!! Give a release date and some benchmarks AMD!!! If you don't release info soon I am upgrading to the sandy bridge platform.[/citation]

don't wait. don't push yourself too hard to become AMD die-hard. just go to nearest it mall and grab sandy-bridge platform ;)

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Chip_guy[/nom]There is no reason to be quiet about either release date or performance, other than at least one of those is bad news.[/citation]

I think AMD are sitting back and letting people digest the rumour that Bulldozer is 50% faster at games than the i7-950. Why create PR when it's all being done for you? :)

By the way, I did try to quote and reply to you via my phone, however the Hide/Show button is a million miles across, and when you click slightly too far to the left, you get the Report button, so I apologise if you get a report. :)

[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]16 cores with 2 near separate cores, but only one fp unit between them. I'd say these likely won't be good for gaming but will be very good for server work. We'll have to wait and see...[/citation]

My thoughts as well. I REALLY am starting to suspect a major FP bottleneck, which might explain why we haven't seen any benchies yet...

G

@gamerk316

it was my (and i must admit somewhat limited) understanding that the FP can handle 2 separate 128bit operation simultaneously but only 1 256bit operation at any one time, so it only becomes a real bottle neck if you crunching some seriously big numbers or require accuracy to the nth degree, im guessing it wont excel in workstation class environment but for the home enthusiast that should be more then enough

jmm5351

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]it is modular design.my guess, it may uneffecient at first build, difficult to design (some mistakes might get in), but in the end, the performance may great. i bet intel might get in the same way if this bulldozer got success. so yes, competition was great.[/citation]

hey man check out this link here.

http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?139053

Who knows if it is true, but I sure hope so. Check out the graph.

jmm5351

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]GaMEChld[/nom]Whoa there, where did you read that? I didn't hear anything like that. I heard Interlagos will offer 50% more peformance from 33% more cores, but not many other performance claims.[/citation]

Damn it I quoted the wrong person lol. But check this out man.

http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?139053

I hope it is true : )

G

Amd Rocks Bulldozer will be cpu of the year end of story. All the Intel fanboys will have to cry it out. Even if lets say Intel six core is faster then you have to look at price 1000 for a six core or 320 for an Amd 4.3 eight core. Intel is a rip off let the rich waste their money ahahahhahaha.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I doubt AMD are going to release a 4.3GHz variant with Enhanced Bulldozer only 6-9 months after Bulldozer. Even then, we're talking a 32nm process. Turbo Core speeds, yes, but not the whole chip.

In any case, a bulldozer is all about getting through a heavy workload, not racing around everywhere with a bucket of sand. I suspect that the architecture is going to be just that - okay single-threaded performance but very capable at properly threaded code. In a month or so, we might actually see.

Status
Not open for further replies.