Amd drivers corrupted SSD, windows 8 shuts down while installing.

pabloe0168

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Gigabyte x58 Udr3r
I7 930
Corsair XMS3 or G skill trying out both
corsair 850w psu
AMD 6670

Ok so here is the story. I was using a HD 7870 xt, and I took it off to sell it. In my head I thought I would just plug in the hd 6670 later. I forgot that the HD 7xxx series and 6XXX probably have different drivers...

Computer freaked out a couple of times, and got to the point where it wouldn't even boot.

Now after disc and reconecting it to the wall and resetting bios it worked, but the bootloader was completely wrecked by the AMD drunk drivers.

Now I try to install windows 8 in my samsung 830 SSD, and the computer shuts down in the middle of the installation.

Any ideas? It makes no sense to me it is almost like the GPU and bad drivers fried something.

Solution
Ok so if your computer shuts down during an install it has hardware faults at least, and is not driver related at this point

Check your CPU HSF is installed correctly, and not full of dust, Also check your video card cooling and that its connected correctly (power connected if present)

You need to test all your hardware if everything is up to spec and connected correctly to find problems

Also, what brand/model PSU do you have?
Ok so if your computer shuts down during an install it has hardware faults at least, and is not driver related at this point

Check your CPU HSF is installed correctly, and not full of dust, Also check your video card cooling and that its connected correctly (power connected if present)

You need to test all your hardware if everything is up to spec and connected correctly to find problems

Also, what brand/model PSU do you have?

Solution

pabloe0168

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

I forgot to add, I have a corsair h50.

I'm pretty sure fans are fine. Do you think it maybe has to do with me installing windows from a usb? It sounds silly but this motherboard can be... ehem... Bitchy.

Hardware was functioning great before this I was ocing 3.8 GHZ on the cpu and it would run stable for weeks. Literally the only thing that changed was the graphics card AND it came from another computer where it was working perfectly fine too?

So, is this 2003 and am I facing a rare case of hardware incompatibility? It really seems like windows 8 hates the hd 6670 when put in my motherboard with my ram or something. funny thing is that sometimes it would boot if I swap the ram sticks a little. this happened when I tried to refresh the pc which never worked and always failed. Afterwards I'd reboot and it wouldn't even start!

Just to rule it out though, I'll try installing windows without all fans but the CPU.

Just to bring this to the higher level... The ram I am using is brand new from another RMA the chances it is failing are veeery small.

pabloe0168

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

I forgot it is a Tx850w corsair.
Thanks for replying.