AMD Finally Finishes Mantle Drivers, Will Be Available Soon

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slimething

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
@Mousemonkey

I think I'll settle for the "Mantle? Meh!" approach. :lol:
bf4_mp_cpu_4770koc.png
I'm talking to guys with R29x in their machines, which is what AMD optimized the beta for. You have no idea how stupid you're going to look when the numbers are officially rolled out and users report their performance increases. A reference 290 is now mopping the floor with the 780ti. The 280x is now a 780 crusher, and they aren't even optimized yet.

hagjohn

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Not bad gains for a new products with beta drivers. Wait till they both mature. Strange how improvement is now a bad thing.

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I have an ageing i7-970 with a HD 7970. Previously I would only maintain stable 45-65 FPS on HIGH/MEDIUM which would become noticeable dipping below 60.With Mantle, I blasted every single setting to ULTRA on a 64 player Conquest Large...no problems hitting 80-120 all the time.I think most people have the i5/i7 3xxx/4xxx series CPUs with high end graphics cards, which aren't bottlenecked as much hence why there isn't a gigantic performance increase for these users.On the down side; there's now a new batch of bugs introduced in this patch :(. Also, playing in Boarderless windowed mode makes this annoying 2 pixel frame on my screen.

Users can report what they like, it's not going to change anything that has been published already because some numbers are already out there. And if the "official" numbers turn out not to be stellar what are you going to do then?

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2014/erste-eindruecke-zu-amds-mantle/2/

Different, isn't it?

The OC results omit the 780Ti, why is that? The 290's numbers are about the same though so it's safe to assume the 780's would be as well.

it does very much seem by the benchmarks that at 1080p and at least a decent gpu with a lackluster cpu that mantle is definitely making a difference. but once you step up to an highly overclocked 8core amd or 4core intel and move the resolution to 1440/1600p... the buck stops there and at most the difference is about 6% for the 290x. for those of us fortunate enough to have oc'd high end parts and well above 1080p monitors, the difference isn't as noticable as an overclock is. but im over it, putting my 780 classified back in because it is much much faster at stock dx11 than my overclocked 7950 mantle.... time to sell it to these mining guru's.

Volfy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
When are people going to realize proprietary innovations like this will never gain 100% acceptance in the realm of PC gaming.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Who is hating? Some of us are just saying that we should make sweeping statements about how awesome something is before anybody gets to try it.
LIKE. Nuff said. Let's see what the first version is like to see the REAL WORLD potential of it later :)

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Bigger picture: AMD has Mantle + Nvidia does something similar = game engines not reliant on DirectX, hence truly cross-platform + SteamOS driving Linux as a viable gaming platform = death of Windows as a gaming platform.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Mantle shows a lot of potential even though there are some bugs. This is just beta drivers and there will probably another mantle patch to improve performance even more. If mantle is used for steam machines or steam os then it could really take off since they can drastically lower the specs and thus the price for these machines and keep frame rates on par with high end pc using dx11. You basically wouldn't have to spend a thousand dollars on hardware and intel cpu to get a really good gaming machine or steam machine.

Just wait... Once AMD finally releases their mantle drivers, we're going to find out about the multitude of bugs that exist on the BF4 side that use this new tech. It'll be a darned ping pong match with no one truly responsible and each party saying its the other's issue.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
AMD has so many driver problems. I recently went to Nvidia after 5 years of AMD cards and I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I had problem after problem with AMD drivers/performance. I will stick with AMD CPUs but no longer GPUs.

not sure why you updated counter strike doesnt use mantle and this driver was basically just for mantle

The release notes did mention other fixes as well.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I see all this RIP Nvidia, loool Nvidia make a a better GFX card. Period. They do not need to create things like "mantle" for their stuff to run.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

And AMD don't need Mantle to get their stuff to run either. However, there seems to be a desire within AMD to move away from DirectX and also boost the performance beyond hardware tweaks. Hence Mantle.

Perhaps it's in response to Valve and SteamOS - if Valve are successful in pushing Linux as a gaming platform then Mantle could really come into its own as non-OpenGL game engines will no longer be tied to Windows.

SteamOS + Mantle could really be a gaming powerhouse. Then factor in Nvidia doing something similar - who needs Windows to play?

Mantle is extremely good for competition in the GPU market as well.

Casper Larsen

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

Anything that potentially kills windows is fine with me. I hesitated to switch to W7 from XP which was such a nice OS.....But I absolutely refuse to change to Windows 8/Turn to pc into a tablet.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

I highly doubt mantle will move over to linux.
The fact that it is proprietary doesn't facilitate an open platform, which linux is. OpenGL really is the hallmark of linux.

Before anyone says that amd made it open. Lets not forget that open source does not mean hardware supported.
An api has to be abstract to support a variety of hardware, which mantle supposedly isn't.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

Why not? Mantle is in the drivers, so I don't see any reason why they can't be applied to Linux (and OS X) too. And of course Mantle is hardware-specific, that's the entire point! Why would an API dedicated to a specific hardware set automatically preclude it from use on an open platform? By that argument you can't use AMD drivers at all because they don't work on Nvidia cards, i.e. are locked to a specific set of hardware.

Giving Linux drivers a specific API to access specific hardware does not diminish Linux as an open platform in any way. In fact, why should Windows users get all the Mantle love?

Status
Not open for further replies.