AMD FirePro W600 Paves Way for Six x 4K 'Display Walls'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Archange, more than likely, the images being generated will be highly compressible, and more than that, pre-rendered, since it is meant for things like "menus" and "billboards".

... that is the equivilant of running 24 1080p screens off of a single card that only costs $600, and eats only 75W. I think it is safe to say that this ought to put the final nail in the coffin for companies like Matrox who have traditionally ruled the multi display market. There is simply no competing with this.

All we need now is to put some ram and processing power behind it so that it can support full video, or something more complicated than simple animations.

alphaalphaalpha1

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
75w, so no PCIe power connector is needed? That means that it's probably similar to a 7770 2GB, just with a slightly lower TDP, so it might have a slightly lower voltage and/or binning or if not better binned, then possibly clocked lower. It could be very useful for a lot of things.

[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]... that is the equivilant of running 24 1080p screens off of a single card that only costs $600, and eats only 75W. I think it is safe to say that this ought to put the final nail in the coffin for companies like Matrox who have traditionally ruled the multi display market. There is simply no competing with this.All we need now is to put some ram and processing power behind it so that it can support full video, or something more complicated than simple animations.[/citation]

Six 4096x2304 displays is a 56.6MP aggregate resolution and twenty-four 1080p displays is a 49.7MP aggregate resolution. This card's max is closer to twenty-seven 1080p displays' worth of pixels. Also, there will be more powerful cards than it. This is simply a low end and more affordable card for very high resolutions for non-intensive purposes.

G

I can see it now- won't be long before some bright spark realizes that you could build 6 rear projected screens into a cube shape, project one image onto each of them, suspend the viewer in the centre of the cube (wires to each of the top 4 corners of the cube) and have a truly immersive 3d VR experience!!

Oh hang on- I jjust realized, you could build a cube out of 6 rear-projected screens, project one image onto each of them, suspend the viewer....... ;)

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Great card, would love one along with the half dozen monitors that go with it ... however, on that other topic, ...

"digital signage has quickly become an important and ubiquitous part of our lives"

Its only importance is that it is a ubiquitous irritation. >:-

SirDevon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I can see it now- won't be long before some bright spark realizes that you could build 6 rear projected screens into a cube shape, project one image onto each of them, suspend the viewer in the centre of the cube (wires to each of the top 4 corners of the cube) and have a truly immersive 3d VR experience!!

That's thinking 'into' the box... :pt1cable:

[citation][nom]SirDevon[/nom]That's thinking 'into' the box...[/citation]

Yes, but now we'd have to get out of the box. Will thinking get you out of that box once you gotten into it? Probably not, so be careful with where you do your thinking. Into the box might not be such a good idea.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
That's so beautiful, I'm crying. How about setting it up for 6 4096x2304 in a 3x2 configuration then running a pre rendered 12,288x4608 3D video of Crysis done with ray tracing? That would be... beautiful.

Back to reality, I would enjoy one of these. I went for a 3x1 setup at 4536x2048, and it added a whole new level of ease and functionality. That is, until the adapter stopped functioning.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
These cards aren't meant to play games kiddies. they are designed for displaying graphics...

Got to most fast food places and their menus are displayed on several flat screens now.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]2 GB for 6 x 4k displays may be cutting it short.[/citation]
This isn't meant to play games, so it doesn't need much memory. Likely won't be rendering anything more complex than a few basic animations, a background and some text.

Each 4k display has 9,437,184 pixels. Each pixel is 24 bits, for a total of 7,077,888 bytes per image buffered, and 42,467,328 bytes for all six. Triple buffer it and you still use less than 128MB of memory. That leaves you more than 1.8GB of memory for the simple rendering tasks this card will be asked to do.

2GB is probably overkill, but using less would actually cost more since AMD would need to retool a production line to do it.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I think I got my maths a bit wrong earlier; each pixel will be three bytes for a 24-bit image, nine bytes if you triple buffer it, making for 84,934,646 bytes or 81MB per screen, conversely 509,607,936 bytes or 486MB for the entire array. I'd simply forgotten the triple buffering.

They could've dropped to 1GB as it still fits the usual AMD memory setup, but we don't really know how much work is going to be done by this card other than the 56.6 million pixels it's throwing about at any given time. o_O

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]This isn't meant to play games, so it doesn't need much memory. Likely won't be rendering anything more complex than a few basic animations, a background and some text.Each 4k display has 9,437,184 pixels. Each pixel is 24 bits, for a total of 7,077,888 bytes per image buffered, and 42,467,328 bytes for all six. Triple buffer it and you still use less than 128MB of memory. That leaves you more than 1.8GB of memory for the simple rendering tasks this card will be asked to do.2GB is probably overkill, but using less would actually cost more since AMD would need to retool a production line to do it.[/citation]

486MiB aka 509.6MB (486MB by how we count RAM and how Windows counts storage capacity), not less than 128MB, is triple buffered 6x 4096x2304 24bpp. Single buffered is 162MiB. Each display would have a 27MiB image and with triple buffering, that's 81MiB per display. Methinks that you have a mistake in your math. You forgot the 2 in front of the 7 to get 27MiB per display instead of 7MB.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The enthusiast home designer's dream of an entire physical wall inside their house being an interactive display is getting closer and closer to a viable reality.

[citation][nom]juanc[/nom]Looks a lot like a Colorgraphics card... google that.[/citation]

So, it has a red PCB and a small fan... So what? That's way to generic of a visual to imply what I think that you're implying.

Status
Not open for further replies.