AMD First to 22 Nm, Challenges Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]spanner_razor[/nom]Major failure in the thread title, should be IBM not AMD reaches 22nm.[/citation]
[citation][nom]bobsmith1[/nom]AMD needs to join up with IBM.[/citation]
Lol,you guys are totally ignorant of the fact AMD works with IBM...

G

IBM and AMD made a deal ages ago for the production of 22nm chips, so this is the culmination of it. They made the achievement together.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]I wonder what the overclocking margins on such a small chip will be...[/citation]
depends on how good the actual process is...

I myself don't overclock,don't need more waste heat on my other parts

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Im just wondering what kinda of clock speed increase can be expected from 22nm because we have seen very little average clock speed increases over the past 3 or 4 manurfacturing gereration (90-65-45) (although clock speed certainly is not everything when it comes to performance)

I guess this is the kinda manufacturing size that would be weel suited for the CPU/GPU intergrations that are on the horizons...

and..a few years down the track....
...maybe once CPU/GPU intergration kicks off, Physx(pun intended) will be once again sent back to the CPU for calculating allowing for single Vcard setups to make a comeback....

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
It always seems IBM anounces they made this or that break through... then its like 5 years before you can actually buy the tech.
Are they making 45nm Cell chips yet ?

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
(repost with good link)
Take a look at this:

I appears IBM also set the previous record for 32nm back in 2004. Have they released any 32nm processor? Not that I'm aware. I think the first 32nm CPU's will be shown at IDF.

I think the title is misleading on the major contributor and the implication of the finding.

G

Well like Tom's said before IBM is a evil vampire that never die :p

G

Good to see some folks drinking the cool-aid. It is H2'2008, correct? Did I miss the 32nm node? Exactly when will 32nm go into production and then 22nm? 2011 seems a bit optimistic for IBM, yet alone AMD which hasn't even sold a SINGLE 45nm part yet! Help us out on this one... AMD 45nm end of the this year 2008... 32nm maybe mid-2010/late 2010... and then 22nm the following year?

"but IBM?s news is a good sign that chip manufacturer will be able to easily scale to this new level by the end of 2011"

If only we could fast forward 3 years! "EASILY SCALE"?!?!? Timeline?!? (are you trying to minimize the actual use of 45nm and 32nm capital equipment to throw it away as soon as possible?) This makes no economic or technical sense!

Finally consider READING the announcement - IBM demo'd/claimed a single SRAM cell (which is 6 transistors), not even an actual test chip (which is what you reference when discussing Intel). A 22nm SRAM cell does not mean a 22nm test chip, yet alone a yielding 22nm wafer. When you say Intel is not expected to show 22nm until next year you are no doubt referring to a TEST CHIP (containing 100's of millions, if not a billion transistors) as opposed to the IBM 6 transistor announcement... a wee bit (maybe 5 or 6 orders of magnitude?) different!

If you don't understand the technical details, which from the article it is clear that you don't, you shouldn't be making any analysis from it.

G

'According to IBM, the creation of the new cell was aided by factors including: "Band edge high-K metal gate stacks, transistors with less than 25nm gate lengths, thin spacers, novel co-implants, advanced activation techniques, extremely thin silicide, and damascene copper contacts".' (source - ZDNET)

A bit odd that they would say transistors less than 25nm gate lengths for a 22nm node (which by the way should have transistor gate lengths in the 19-20ish or smaller range)

I think what we have here is a typical IBM PR announcement which will be found to have several holes if the details are ever presented. Also of note, a working SRAM cell is not the same as a working SRAM chip, as Wolfgang somewhat implies in his commentary. From info on the web there is no IBM mention of an actual working SRAM test chip, just a 1 bit (byte?) cell.

G

The devices developed and manufactured by AMD, Freescale, IBM STMicroelectronics, Toshiba and the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (CNSE)Major failure in the thread title, should be IBM not AMD reaches 22nm. No you just fail at reading comprehension.

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I "work" with alot of companies but I do the work and they dont get the credit. Seeing this title just pisses me off because it was purely IBM's R&D NOT AMD's. They could have put Sony is first to 22nm as well since Sony is a "partner" as well. AMD is bleeding to death and folks need to realize that. AMD still cant produce a above economic CPU to compete with Intel and this is after 2 YEARS since Core 2 came out. Intel isnt backing down, Core I7 is and will smash what AMD has out or even coming out in the next 2 years. Yes Intel was down with P4s but the original Bartons that AMD put out to compete with the P4 didnt exactly beat them.

The A64 beat the P4s in games but office it was the P4s domain. AMD puts out good chips, but they need to get back on track for competing or we all lose to 90's Intel pricing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.