AMD FX-8320 Overheating on AIO? No OC

jaybollman

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
So, I did a (kind of) budget build for a OP work/graphic design/gaming computer. A light workstation (my dual xeon beast is in an old xps 730x case, hard to maneuver) so I can move it around if need be. I had some extra expense account funds, and decided to make a project. Anyway. So my issue is that my CPU is idling at around 35 - 50C . If I turn on anything remotely demanding is skyrockets to 60 - 80C. Like, within 5 mins of playing, WoW runs at a solid 75C, and runescape runs at 65C, Dying Light maxed out runs at 65C, Youtube videos (not fullscreen) hits 62-65 in probably 5 mins, its weird. I know these numbers aren't TERRIBLE, but I also don't think that it should be climbing that fast on an AIO. I read one article on Tom's that said cap safe range for the 8320 was 60-62.

My question is, do you think that getting a more mainstream/better rated AIO (i.e. NZXT Kraken or Corsair H series) would result in better numbers, or do you think I have hardware issues with the MoBo or CPU? I DID buy a refurbished MoBo, but it just said "open-box deal" on Newegg, so I thought, just the box was open... AI Suite 3 says the board is sitting at 28 - 35C, even when the CPU is at 70, which is fine for its "safe" cap of 60. The fans do sometimes throttle a bit, go from like 2000rpm to (what it says) 650,000 rpm, super quick then dies down to 1500-2000, strange. HDD sits around 25-28. Stats below, troubleshooting I did below that.

Case: Phantek Phantom 400
Fans: 2x 120mm (corsair and phantek) blowing inward, front panel
1x 120mm (corsair) top mounted, blowing downwards onto RAM
1x 120mm (deepcool Captain 120ex aio stock fan) on 120mm Radiator, top mounted, blowing upwards (out)
1x 120mm (phantek) rear mount, blowing out (traditional exhaust)
All managed by AI Suite 3 (I know the opinions on AIS3, its just for fan control)

Hardware:
MB: ASUS(ROG) 970 Pro Gaming/Aura
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz (no OC)
AIO: Deepcool Captain 120ex (stock DeepCool fan on Radiator)
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600mhz
GPU: Aorus RX 580 8GB OC (MoBo mounted)
PSU: Thermaltake 750w Semi Modular
HDD: 1TB seagate 7200rpm
Phantek cold UV cathode
1 glow in the dark Cthulhu figurine.
Phantek rgb case lighting
Phantek nylon wrapped modular cables for GPU, 24 pin, and CPU power

Troubleshooting Tried, and Failed
I looked for a few weeks on this site for some answers, but nothing was really MY issue, and some of the steps did lower it a point or two, but not enough to put me in the safe range.

-Thermal paste checked, reapplied anyway, nothing.
-Heatsink Mount installed properly, redid it to check.
-Cleaned copper on the heatsink and cleaned processor head with alcohol, no change, reapplied paste, checked for plastic or any debris in the way.
-OC turned to manual, turbo off (temp got higher, actually, put back to default)
-Moved Radiator from rear exhaust to top mounted (no change)
-Added a fan to the radiator in a push/pull config, no change
-moved different fans to different 4pin connects, no change
-changed computer cases (had a Riotorro cr1080, though maybe it was too small)
-checked with AMD overdrive to see if temps were accurate (they are, margins check out with AI3 readings)
-did the old smoke test to see airflow, it actually does better than my vacuum fan Xeon station as far as moving the air over and out. (If you must know, feel free to message me, it has fans from kirby vacuums in the case.)
-tried to underclock the cpu to 3.3ghz, computer did not like that, crashed.
-un/re installed all drivers for hardware, no change

Nobokomo

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
I'm no expert, but it could be an issue with your AIO. If I remember correctly, the FX 8320 is a hotter CPU. Also, just out of curiosity, are you using a 970 chip set board? I remember reading a post on the 8320 where the power needs would cause massive temps due to weaker vrms causing the north bridge to heat up a lot, causing CPU heat due to to the proximity to the north bridge.

NickatNight8320

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
What is the possibility that the AIO pump is faulty? Have you tried it on any other CPU's?

I have an fx 8320, ASUS m5A97 Evo, and an old cheap AIO (manufacturer long forgotten). I don't immediately climb in temps. Under a Minergate load it will climb to 60c after running all night.

jaybollman

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

So, problem esculated. I am now getting a whiteish grey screen at login. I read it might be mobo probs or gpu proba. Mobo would make more sense, gpu is brand new, 580 xtr. I think the AIO is running okay now, I started getting temps around the mid 30's to high 40's, and I am going to replace it with a nzxt kraken anyway. Any idea on the screen issue or what it could mean?