[SOLVED] AMD FX-8320E & 3060 TI underperforming

Yus_1_

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
So i recently upgraded from a 1050 ti to a 3060 ti, and i really haven't noticed that much of a change inthte performance of many game i though the new GPU would crush like Minecraft with shaders or Warframe, rather i feel the PC is underperforming now. Warframe seems to drop to 40fps most of the time and Minecraft with Sildur's shaders on high only runs at 15 fps. I'm posting the user bench mark i got and the PC specs, i know the board and processor are kind of old but i dont feel i should be having such a massive performance drop on these games, and it worries me that i see no difference in performance from my old 1050 ti, could it be I'm getting massively bottlenecked? I also already updated my chipset and graphics drivers. Thank you!

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Performance Results - UserBenchmark

UserBenchmarks: Game 72%, Desk 64%, Work 57%
CPU: AMD FX-8320E - 59.9%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 125.7%
SSD: Spcc Solid State Disk 120GB - 139.9%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ABA200V 2TB - 80.5%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x8GB - 48%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

Last edited:
Solution
Damn, so i guess the rest of the system which is DDR3 is probably not compatible with the card anymore?
It isn't a "compatibility" problem. It is a relative performance problem. The CPU performance is too poor compared to the capabilities of the GPU. The FX CPUs weren't great gaming CPUs when they were new and that is at least 6 years old.

Yus_1_

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
To be honest, it's probably not what you want to hear but I'd say it's the rest of your PC that is affecting the performance and limiting the potential of your 3060ti.
Damn, so i guess the rest of the system which is DDR3 is probably not compatible with the card anymore?

kanewolf

Titan
It isn't a "compatibility" problem. It is a relative performance problem. The CPU performance is too poor compared to the capabilities of the GPU. The FX CPUs weren't great gaming CPUs when they were new and that is at least 6 years old.

Solution
The FX systems are slow, mainly because of single thread performance.
They are also prone to motherboard vrm overheating.
Try taking the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.

I would not spend a dime on upgrading the FX system with anything that can not be reused on a future build.

$250 can buy you a $100 i3-10100, lga1200 motherboard, and 2x8gb of ddr4 ram. That would be almost twice as capable in games.
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

If your cpu budget were more like $200, a i5-11400 is a great budget gaming processor.
A 11400 review:

Reactions: Yus_1_
So i recently upgraded from a 1050 ti to a 3060 ti, and i really haven't noticed that much of a change inthte performance of many game i though the new GPU would crush like Minecraft with shaders or Warframe, rather i feel the PC is underperforming now. Warframe seems to drop to 40fps most of the time and Minecraft with Sildur's shaders on high only runs at 15 fps. I'm posting the user bench mark i got and the PC specs, i know the board and processor are kind of old but i dont feel i should be having such a massive performance drop on these games, and it worries me that i see no difference in performance from my old 1050 ti, could it be I'm getting massively bottlenecked? I also already updated my chipset and graphics drivers. Thank you!

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Performance Results - UserBenchmark

UserBenchmarks: Game 72%, Desk 64%, Work 57%
CPU: AMD FX-8320E - 59.9%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 125.7%
SSD: Spcc Solid State Disk 120GB - 139.9%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ABA200V 2TB - 80.5%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x8GB - 48%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
When is the last time you gave the innards a good cleaning?
Can of air and a small brush get all the heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget the psu....a few shots of air from both directions.
Monitor temps while gaming.

UBM is showing a lot of background stuff running.
If that stuff is running while your trying to game it won't help things.

Reactions: Yus_1_ and kurdtnz

Yus_1_

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
Thx for your answers guys

When is the last time you gave the innards a good cleaning?
Can of air and a small brush get all the heat sinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget the psu....a few shots of air from both directions.
Monitor temps while gaming.

UBM is showing a lot of background stuff running.
If that stuff is running while your trying to game it won't help things.

No i was just in a class while i let the UBM run so i guess that's why there were so many background processes running. And i just recently gave my PC a deep scrubbing so it's not bein throttled by dust build up.

Yus_1_

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
The FX systems are slow, mainly because of single thread performance.
They are also prone to motherboard vrm overheating.
Try taking the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.

I would not spend a dime on upgrading the FX system with anything that can not be reused on a future build.

$250 can buy you a $100 i3-10100, lga1200 motherboard, and 2x8gb of ddr4 ram. That would be almost twice as capable in games.
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

If your cpu budget were more like $200, a i5-11400 is a great budget gaming processor.
A 11400 review:

I guess this might be it, I'm gonna play around with the settings and check background apps and thermals but it all probably boils down to this, i need a new processor