[SOLVED] AMD FX 9590 setups fail due to lack of knowledge.

Jan 7, 2019
Just some quick notes and observations, no judgment. Facts are as follows: 1 The FX 9590 is a 220W TDP CPU designed originally for servers. 2 There are only a small handful of motherboards that can support this VRM eating machine. 3 a 240mm AIO is about $60-80 4 some of the listed "compatible" motherboards are not actually going to last so make sure you have at least a 10-12 phase VRM and it's an AMD 990FX chipset NOT a 970 (The 990FX chipset was designed for the FX 9590). 5 overclock your RAM and optimize your bios. 6 You will need at least a gold or better 1000W PSU (preferably one with separate rails for the CPU and accessories. 7 Enjoy! I can't believe I put together a VR Ready system upgrade for around $350 off eBay!

System: AMD FX 9590@5.0GHz, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Rev 3.0, 16GB of G.Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9-4GBSR, MSI RX 580 8GB, 2 PSUs: Corsair 750W and Corsair 500W (yes I need a new PSU and 750W doesn't allow for OC so I spread out the load. Between the CPU and GPU your burning almost 550W and then your mobo still has to feed itself, your fans, pumps, LEDs, etc.)
A final note. While this CPU was overpriced and impractical when it was released, the FX 9590 will hold it's own against many "modern" systems, an FX 9590 is about $100 new, DDR3 is cheap and abundant, SATA 3, USB 3.0, 5GHz on 8 cores, and for the better part on par with modern hardware from an electronics capability standpoint. I got all of this for under $350. I don't give a rats arse about the "elitists" who think spending $1500-$2500 is the only way to get performance. If your looking for a budget build that will bring you within 20% of "modern" builds, look no further.

Solution
I don't totally disagree with your post but

No it was not. It is simply a massively overclocked FX-8350, made specifically for bragging rights to have the first "5ghz" CPU on the market by AMD.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I don't totally disagree with your post but

No it was not. It is simply a massively overclocked FX-8350, made specifically for bragging rights to have the first "5ghz" CPU on the market by AMD.

No it really doesn't. At $100 that CPU is a waste of money. You got lucky to be able to build the system that cheaply "new" as most of the parts you have have long been out of production. First off your math is off because even taking the prices you mentioned, then adding a good 1000w PSU, and an RX 580 which you didn't include you are well over $350.

Secondly the FX-9590 can be beaten handily in gaming by an i3-8100, or a Ryzen 3 2200, or any of a number of current or immediately prior generation processors that don't have nearly the power requirements, have the same features, and provide the user with an upgrade path should they desire more power in the future. All for the same price or less than you put that build together for. No you don't need $2500 to get performance, but something you paid $2500 or even $1500 for would demolish it, heck even $1000 would do it, and $350-$500 would put you minimally on the same level without all the drawbacks (heat, power usage, having to dig up used parts, the constant fear it will burn down your house).

Its great you enjoy your build, but you're just the last in a long line of apologists for a CPU that has been deemed one of the worst in history, and for good reason. Hopefully as these things finally sell out, we can all just move on.

Solution
I have one which is still emitting gamma rays despite being unplugged.

I have 2 boards I have used it in.

Even with a high end cooler we could never get it stable.

I wrote to AMD about it.

Even the Cyrix CPU's were better than this POS.

It will not be any good for a VR Box.

You would be better off with an FX6300 @ 4Ghz ... which is an easy overclock ... than this fizzer.

You also cannot easily undervolt the 9590 and try to run it as an 8370E ... for some reason mine would not turbo without crashing due to the voltage.

It should come with a disclaimer ... MAY NOT WORK !

g-unit1111

Titan

1. False, it was designed for overclocking bragging rights by giving you a head start. That is all.

2 There are only a small handful of motherboards that can support this VRM eating machine.

That one is true.

3 a 240mm AIO is about $60-80 4 some of the listed "compatible" motherboards are not actually going to last so make sure you have at least a 10-12 phase VRM and it's an AMD 990FX chipset NOT a 970

False. 80mm liquid coolers - inadequate for the 9590 - are about $80. Any decent 240mm liquid cooler is going to start at miminum $100 and any 280mm cooler will run you at least $150.

(The 990FX chipset was designed for the FX 9590).

False. It was actually designed for the FX-8100 series. BIOS updates allowed it to use the FX-8300 series and further BIOS updates allowed for use of the 9590.

5 overclock your RAM and optimize your bios.

At least set it to XMP / DOCP and get the full speed out of it. Overclocking your RAM can cause serious instability and all kinds of additional headaches.

6 You will need at least a gold or better 1000W PSU (preferably one with separate rails for the CPU and accessories.

You will definitely need to have at least a very strong PSU, and to run it properly you will need at least a 1000W or more, and any run of the mill PSU won't cut it. That's one of the biggest turn offs of that CPU is the monster power requirements - you'd need at least a Corsair AX1200i or a Seasonic Prime, and those aren't cheap.

No thanks, I'll spend that money on a Ryzen 2600 system instead.

I can't believe I put together a VR Ready system upgrade for around $350 off eBay!

For a 9590? Factor in the PSU and cooling costs and you're looking at spending way more than $350. A Ryzen 2600 or 2700 costs about the same and you don't need a monster PSU and cooling solution to run it.

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
A 2200g would game faster than an FX 9590, due to the FX's poor IPC. It has been known to be beat buy older 6th gen i3's. Ryzen's IPC is really close to that of a 4th gen Intel.

CPU_01.png

FX in 2019 is a horribly bad idea. What exactly did you spend $350 on? There is no way you got all of that, for that price.

avenge

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
You can get I7/Xeon 4 cores/8 threads 2/3 generation or newer for less money and it will perform better and will require less power. You can even overclock it to 4.5+ GHz if you have suitable board and CPU and it will compete even with newer CPU's with no problem, especially in gaming.

bobbybluz

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I lucked out and scored an i7 4960X on Craigslist for $50 last year. I already had an existing X79 build with a 3930K in it. Sold the 3930K on Ebay for $125 after putting the 4960X in. At 4.7GHZ it benchmarked almost identically to a 5930K at the same speed in my X99 rig. PassMark CPU score of 18,446. No 9590 will score even close to that. It's in daily use today.