AMD FX Vs. Intel Core i3: Exploring Game Performance With Cheap GPUs

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]This is true, but when I just got a FX4100 and a full featured GA-970A-UD3 togerther for the price of the i3 2100 there is a massive cost benefit. I have a friend who wanted to build a entry level gaming PC for ~$550 and because of the savings on the FX was able to get a 6850 in there as well as a OCZ ZS PSU (jonny guru recommended). If we had gone Intel like I originally planned I'd had cut down to a Raidmax or other budget PSU and a 6770 (maybe). There is some value here.[/citation]

You got an FX-4100 and quality motherboard for $130? That's quite a feat, especially considering that the FX-4100 alone is something like $110 and that motherboard probably costs at least $90.

[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]FX 4100 $99. $60 off AM3 mobo bundle special, $20 MIR, $10 instant (970A-UD3 normally $119) @ Microcenter.[/citation]

Considering that this is Microcenter, you could have also gotten such a deal on an Intel CPU+motherboard too, so it's an unfair comparison to compare a Microcenter deal to a regular retail price.

[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]That would be the equivilant of saying my Raymond Weil Nabucco that I spent $1500 on is actually valued at the $2900 list price. The Fair Market Value of the watch is $1500, I'm not going pretend it isn't. If I were to use the computer as a business asset my basis for those parts would be $130 (maybe $140 because of the cash outflow prior to the MIR, but I'd have to look into that). Regular retail on AMD processors seems to always be overstated, I don't think I've ever paid close to "regular retail" on one. So is it fair to compare that number or the number that you are actually going to have to pay?I couldn't have gotten such a deal on a Intel Motherboard and Processor unless it was a 2500k or above. It happens that on the same trip I bought a 2500k with a ASrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 and a i3 2100 with a MSI H67 board. I did get $50 on the 2500k but nothing on the i3. My cost for the 2500k combo was ~$320 and the i3 build was ~$210. The amount of business I do at Microcenter has shown me it is much more common for AMD products to have bundle deals over a wider number of items. These deals are nearly always superior to what they are offering for Intel products. These FX processors will continue to decrease in price and have favorable bundles to move product now that the honeymoon period is over.You obviously have a set in bias. I prefer Intel and in 99% of circumstances recommend them for their superior performance. I don't have a problem with AMD though. It would be silly to. A monopolized market is a dead market.[/citation]

You're comparing a Microcenter deal on the AMD CPU+motherboard combo to a full priced retail Intel CPU and that's not a fair price comparison. If you want to compare the two, then compare either full retail prices or compare both as Microcenter deals with a highly discounted CPU+motherboard combo. That CPU is worth at least $99 for it's performance and that motherboard is worth more like $110 in my opinion, but Gigabyte obviously disagreed. That you got them together with a huge discount on the motherboard and on them being a combo doesn't matter if you compare it to an non-discounted Intel setup with the same amount of money.

That AMD CPU is not worth so much less than it's retail price that a $60 combo discount makes it a fair price. Microcenter always sells parts for less than retail value anyway. I have no bias for calling you out on comparing the retail price of an i3 to a highly discounted AMD CPU+motherboard combo. I have no bias for AMD nor Intel; I have systems based on both. In fact, my latest AMD system has a Phenom II 1090T overclocked to 4GHz.

Considering that the 2500K retails for $230 or so right now and Microcenter often charges only $170-190 for it, that $320 combo meant that the motherboard costed at least $120 even with a $50 off deal. Nearly $200 motherboards aren't necessary to get even 4.8GHz or so overclocks on the 2500K. Some much cheaper, still very high quality boards do just as well. Unless you're going for a 5GHz or so overclock, well you pretty much wasted some money there.

Let's look at retail prices and performance on the FX-4100 versus the i3-2100. The i3-2100 usually costs about the same as the 2100 (sometimes less) so let's just call it $130. The FX-4100 went for $110 at Newegg the last time I checked. The 2100 is about 10-15% faster than the 4100 in lightly threaded games. The FX-4100 is actually slightly faster than the i3-2100 in highly threaded work loads including an increasing number of games. The FX-4170 (or an FX-4100 overclocked to 4.2GHz like the 4170) is almost identical to the i3-2100 in lightly threaded workloads and is significantly faster than the i3-2100 in highly threaded workloads. It isn't until the i5s are thrown on the table that AMD is completely hammered in performance, but the i3s do use between half and a quarter of the power used by the competing AMD processors.

Also, the FX processors only decrease in price when Intel comes out with something better or cuts their prices too, so when the FX CPUs go down, so do the current Intel processors. The Sandy Bridge i3s will take a price cut when the FX CPUs do (maybe even sooner) once the Ivy Bridge i3s are out. Of course the FX processors will go down in price; all but the antiques go down in price as better processors come out.

Ivy i3s will be considerably faster than Sandy i3s. The problem with the AMD systems is that even though they are cheaper, they use a lot more power, especially with an overclock. At 3.6GHz, the FX-4100 uses about 75% more power than a Sandy Bridge i3. At 4.2GHz (be it a 4100 OC or a 4170 at stock, the two are identical except for their clock frequency and the 4170 isn't even binned higher, it's just more expensive to pay for it being pre-overclocked over the 4100), the FX 4100 OC/4170 uses more than 150% more power than the i3s. With Ivy, even overclocked, the FXs won't be as fast for lightly threaded work and they will only be slightly ahead in highly threaded work, but the Ivy Bridge i3s will use about half the power of a 4100 at 3.6GHz and about a third of the power used by the 4100 OC or 4170 to 4.2GHz.

The huge differences in power usage actually make up for the fairly large differences in price with Sandy already over the course of three to four years. The Ivy i3s will make it up all the more faster because they use a lot less power than the already highly efficient Sandy i3s. AMD motherboards usually aren't MUCH cheaper than Intel boards, but are often a little cheaper. As of the last few months, there have been a lot more high quality, cheap Intel boards, so AMD's advantage here has been rapidly shrinking.

The FX-4100 and 4170 don't truly catch up to the i3-2100 and 2120 until they are overclocked to about 4.5GHz so it's not a light overclock that is necessary, but it can be done if you're willing to foot the electricity bill. To be honest, it's not going to cost much more than the i3s until you go over a year and a half or so of usage at more than 6 hours of the machine being on per day even with the FXs overclocked and it will take a lot more time (like I said earlier, more like three or four years) if you don't overclock the 4100, but it will happen and then you're losing more money than you would lose with the Intel system. The costs differences are small enough for it to be a personal preference thing.

I never denied that there is value with the FX-4100, but it's still less than that of the i3s and even further so with the Ivy Bridge i3s coming out. Like I said, it's worth the $110 it's been going for on Newegg lately. I wouldn't buy it because of how energy inefficient it is and it's fairly low performance without an overclock that makes it even less efficient, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a poor value.

Unfortunately, the FX-4100 and 4170 are AMD's best FX gaming CPUs. More cores than four doesn't really matter for any games and a lot of games still don't benefit from more than two cores. Since going above the FX quad core CPUs the only benefit is more cores, the more expensive FX CPUs really don't help gaming much at all. The only CPUs that matter even going above $100 or so for gaming are Intel CPUs. I don't like it, but it's really AMD's fault more than anyone else's. They took a fairly good architecture (Bulldozer) and designed the CPUs with poor methods (computer generated parts that used to be designed and optimized by hand) and then gave it horribly high latency cache and an inefficient memory controller (Intel memory controllers are usually about 30% more efficient with memory bandwidth and that's partly why Intel CPUs don't really benefit from increased memory frequencies; they already have so much more bandwidth than an AMD CPU with the same frequency memory modules).

Also, regardless of the motherboard, 5GHz overclocks on the i5-2500K tend to be short lived because the processor itself oftentimes has problems at clock frequencies that high. Just a head-up for you. The i7-2700K is more built for 5+GHz than the i5-2500K and the i7-2600K, or more accurately, it's better binned. Nonetheless, good luck to you.

G

well in my country the 4170 4.2ghz goes for exact same cash (115euro) as the i3 2120 3.3ghz , wonder how much impact the almost 1ghz does affect gaming.

had trouble chosing the system but im glad i took the Z77 board with i3 2120 and now wait for ivy bridge :) ( 2100 all out of stock so, hence 2120)

all i could gather up was piledriver is to expect on the APU side soon , but not on the normal desktop cpu side so I didnt want to wait since I needed a new computer _now_

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Man, why so much downrating on comments about:

-AMD fx4100 can be overclocked, easily reaching 4Ghz and i3 doesnt
-How AM3+ boards are cheaper and offer the chance to redirect budget to cooling or dedicated graphics.

Too much fanboyism over here, geez.
I do love reviews from TH but sometimes the audience is quite childish about their preferences.
On a budget, me and everyone should pick AMD, hands down on that.

Compare power usage of similar systems one with an i3 and the other with an FX 4100 , and the FX uses about 40 watts more power under load . Since processors almost never run at full load the difference will usually be much less than this .
Its not going to make a difference to your power bill that you'd notice .
Of course intel fanboys are keen to OC their 2500K and 3570K's . Power usage goes through the roof but they dont mind when their cpu is using excess wattage
LOL

Actually, an FX-4100 OCed to around 4.5GHz can meet or beat the SB i3s in the majority of games. I don't advocate this due to it being a fairly minor win except in games that can effectively utilize at least three or four threads and the large power usage difference. However, it is a win for FX, even if the sacrifice to achieve that win might be considered not worth it.

Also, in Windows 8 (Windows 7's scheduling fix and the scheduling upgrade in Windows 8 are not the same), the FX CPUs get a larger boost than the other CPUs (I'd assume that the same would happen with Trinity and other CPUs that use AMD's modular architectures or some other similar architecture), so the FXs might be able to take a noticeable lead in Windows 8 performance in games that aren't extremely efficient at being paralleled across four threads.

FACT . On this site the i3 2100 was tested against an FX 4100 at stock speed . In most games they game nearly identical FPS when using the same graphics cards . The i3 was better in games that used older DX 9 game engines , probably because the games couldnt use more than one or two cores

FACT The FX 4100 can be overclocked to increase performance further so its likely to beat the i3 even in older games and will spank it in DX 10 and DX 11 games

FACT The FX is generally a better over all processor . It usually out performs the i3 in non-gaming situations

FACT you dont know much

Fact: I was really just trying to correct Anonymous and azraa on the GHz issue. Tho I admit I did it in a slightly trollish way. It will be interesting to see what Bulldozer and Piledriver look like when Windows 8 rolls out.

Kenshin55

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Good review, i wish they update this with the newer and faster FX-4170 because only cost $130 (you can even get the FX4100 in $100 right now)...IMO AMD is winning by a large margin in this price range

[citation][nom]Kenshin55[/nom]Good review, i wish they update this with the newer and faster FX-4170 because only cost $130 (you can even get the FX4100 in $100 right now)...IMO AMD is winning by a large margin in this price range[/citation]

The 4170 is just a 4100 with the voltage and clock frequency bumped up. It isn't even binned better. It's a waste of money unless your board doesn't support overclocking or you're too lazy to spend a few minutes to increase two or three settings that a simple manual can give you step-by-step instructions to do even if you have no idea what the BIOS even is before you do this. The power consumption difference between an i3 and even the stock 4100 comes to mind, let alone the huge difference that there would be between a 4170 or overclocked 4100 and a SB i3, let alone an IB i3 once they come out.

If GF is doing 28nm manufacturing for AMD, then it is either next-gen APUs (after Trinity) or additional GCN GPU supply. I'm not sure of them doing either of those right now TBH. I know that GF has had 28nm being worked on probably as one of the first such companies doing it, but I'm not aware of them using 28nm production facilities for AMD at this time. Maybe they are, but I don't know.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
this just shows that a systems gpu is more important than the cpu. the fx4100 functions perfectly, is cheaper, and can overclock (where is core i3 on that?). only issue is per core performance could be better. oh yeah, your fx motherboard can use piledriver and steamroller cpu's, so it's future-proofed for about 3 years. 2nd gen is always better.

[citation][nom]TheinsanegamerN[/nom]this just shows that a systems gpu is more important than the cpu. the fx4100 functions perfectly, is cheaper, and can overclock (where is core i3 on that?). only issue is per core performance could be better. oh yeah, your fx motherboard can use piledriver and steamroller cpu's, so it's future-proofed for about 3 years. 2nd gen is always better.[/citation]

For highly-threaded performance, both the i3s and the FX-4xxx CPUs are all fairly close. This does not demonstrate that CPU performance is less important than graphics performance regardless of the truthfulness of that statement, especially given the age of the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS