AMD Gaming Evolved Client Updated with DVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I just switched from a 600ti to a R9 290. Both systems have their bugs but I am liking AMD Gaming Evolved. Shadowplay was hopelessly broken through a lot it's beta and the ADM software last I checked still had issue pulling footage from 64bit Battlefield 4. Which is funny considering BF4 is one of AMDs most focused on games.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Ofcourse. :) It's just annoying to see companies mindlessly copy their competitors ideas when they come up with something good.
MS copied IBM and Netscape. Google copied MS..... Everyone copies everyone else. How else do you get competition? Apple copied IBM, Xerox, Palm and RIM. Samsung in turn copied Apple. HTC copied Apple. If it wasn't for companies copying each other, we'd only have 1 cellphone maker and 1 automobile maker. We'd also all be buying every single piece of PC hardware from IBM.....

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I see your point, and I agree. But they literally copied GeForce Experience, like every single feature. It's a little ridiculous. GeForce experience sucks though and actually causes some games to crash, so at least they've done it right. I just don't think they should have copied the app and every single feature. It's like they're trying to be Nvidia.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

ROFL. 8mil users? Geforce Experience has added 6 mil just from Dec to April, and the total is 30million using it. Which makes sense when you think it's been out FAR longer, is better by all accounts (including anandtech's article on it, they said it needs work) and NV owns 65% discrete.

Not sure how they figure 8mil is higher than 30mil. But whatever. I also wonder how many of the "5000" games actually work right. Nvidia appears to be methodically testing them hence adding ~10-20 a month. We know AMD hasn't tested 5000 games. So I call BS in both cases here.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8299/amd-gaming-evolved-client-40-released
"Game compatibility however is still hit & miss."
"And indeed the Raptr team is claiming that they now support 5000 games, versus what Raptr claims is 169 for NVIDIA’s GeForce Experience (a claim NVIDIA strongly disagrees with since they don't even use whitelists)."

So even NV calls BS ;)
"GeForce Experience worked with all 12 of our test games out of the box"
That's my point ;) As he also notes, GEC has no fallback feature like GFE (desktop capture mode), and you can't add games to the list. And as one of the comments says:
"Just to clarify, a game does not need to be "detected" by Nvidia's Gefore Experience in order to be recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay. Shadowplay can record any game (e.g. via desktop capture)."

So all game supported on NV too huh? All is more than 5000 right? LOL@ the numbers games amd seems to be playing. I don't see anything better, and in fact a bit worse still as anandtech couldn't get their 12 games to work (bioshock infinite failed). Complaints in the comments about it not working so well also. One person on Nvidia, saying it just works ;) Anandtech said the same for NV. Hmmm....Having actual PROFITS yearly seems to help all things (or hurt, in the case of AMD these days). I really hope they start making some real cash soon, as in a FEW years in a row, not just a quarter or two.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Will it help with frame rates?
Will if fix all the many Crossfire glitches?
Will it fix all the many bugs that make games run with jitter and micro pauses?
No? PLEASE WORK ON THE ABOVE FIRST! FCOL!

To people who are saying mindlessly copied Nvidia, shame on you. Read again...

Anyway I randomly noticed this last night in Raptr. Was wondering how did I not hear anything about it...

As a side note AMD has opened A LOT of possibilities in this single program that they have added ABOVE its drivers. SHould be interesting to see what they are going to try to do with it in the future.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

That was rude.... Read what again?
It's true, it's exactly what Nvidia have done with GeForce Experience. w/e though.

Settings are determined in 2 different ways :
Community input vs supported games.

Geforce Experience is not a social platform. Raptr is.

EDIT 1 :Those are the obvious glaring differences.

Still need actually try out most of the features in either.

EDIT 2 : And I don't think that Shadowplay records ALL the time, so you can't save a normally unrecorded moment. I am sure Nvidia can add it easily though.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

This is not a driver, it`s companion application to your AMD hardware. Stop acting stupid.

As for the guys who complain this app is copying Nvidia... well... this ideea is not proprietary and if they didn`t do it when deciding what to buy many would say ... "Oh man get Nvidia it has PhysX, Shadowplay, G-sync" now you can throw away Shadowplay, by the way it`s utter crap compared to AMD DVR, had the pleasure working with both, the shadowplay files can`t be edited in Premiere without getting the sound out of sync, this doesn`t happen with AMD`s DVR files.

For fanboys it goes two ways and they are both wrong, either don`t have a certain thing and they will hold it against you, or put that thing in your software and they will still hold it against you because you "copy" the other company.

This AMD Gaming evolved is nice, but would be nicer if they would support Mantle recording also, but since Mantle is still in beta we probably won`t be seeing this any time soon.

Traciatim

Distinguished
I wonder if this time it won't cause blue screens while gaming every 2-10 minutes. Last time I installed it on my kids machine it made the machine so unstable that the kids didn't even want to use the computer because it was so frustrating, but as soon as we removed the Raptr junk it went back to being perfectly fine.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I'm not a fanboy, lol. You are right though, Shadowplay is pretty buggy and it causes CS:GO to crash every few minutes and the only way to fix it is to uninstall GeForce Experience. I just don't think they should have focused on making an App that does the exact same things as Nvidia's does. Just my opinion.

And Novuake, Shadowplay does record all the time.

EDIT; and has someone just said above, the Gaming Evolved app isn't perfect either. I'd advise against having either that or GeForce Experience installed anyway. There are better ways to record gameplay and they seem to cause too many issues.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@Alex Kelly The AMD Gaming Evolved is developed by Raptr, not by AMD hence the lack of support for Mantle in DVR for now.

And yes, i find it stupid that AMD decided to compare numbers on this app vs Geforece Experience, many don`t even install them, i have friend that has R9-290 card but doesn`t have the AMD Gaming Experience installed since you have to install the AMD driver in manual, in express it doesn`t install this.

AMD Community 10,275,020 Members as of this post. But it`s irrelevant.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I know this. Doesn't mean AMD haven't specified what they want Raptr to do with it though. :)

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I find another thing stupid, the "supported games" whey they say this .. they mean the games that AMD Gaming Evolved(AGE)/Geforece Experiance (GE) detect and "optimizie" your settings for the game... i`ve never seen anybody relying on a piece of software to tell them what settings to use. I`ve found it stupid in GE when i had GTX760, i find it stupid in AGE with my 290. For BF4 i even checked the box Ignore Optimizer. since i play in custom graphics settings.

I love the ideea of Community / DVR/ Twitch etc .. find the Optimizer stuff pointless.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Agreed, I hate that they try and tell you what settings you should use. Anyone who games on a PC should know about graphic settings and experiment with them. :) How are you liking your 290? I upgraded from my Gigabyte GTX 760 to an MSI Twin Frozr 290 and couldn't stand the heat and noise, so I sold it second hand like a week after I bought it. I'm now waiting for the GTX 800 series to come out so I can pick one up :D

You are YOU. That is because you know what each and every setting does and what works and what doesn't, you also have a high end GPU.

For the everyday user with a lower end card, that optimizer makes life a lot easier.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

I was very happy with my E-VGA GTX760 SC ACX untill i started to play BF4 and wanted even more :) Aside from the hefty fee that i`ve payed for my Sapphire 290 Vapor-X i can say i`m very pleased with it, keep in mind that top video cards tend to be hot no matter if it`s AMD or Nvidia , mine usually runs at 72-75°C with the top of 78°C while testing it in Crysis 3 in a hot day, temps that a GTX 780 will also reach.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzuPkcC0MKU this is my rig with noise leves (my mechanical drives do more noise than the GPU, they have a low frequency humming also)
And i have few other videos while playing BF4 that you can find..

Overall i`m pleased with my purchase. This is my first AMD GPU, i`ve owned only Nvidia since TNT2 till GTX760, and before all an Intel i740 GPU, my very first 3D AGP videocard, the memories ...

Yes, i know that, but of course i`m talking about me not for everybody :)

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Lucky! My 290 went over 90C even in CS:GO and was horribly loud. Could be because of my NZXT H440, but my 760 barely goes over 60C.

Status
Not open for further replies.