AMD Gigabyte 7950 WF3 Windforce Overclock Issue - Always back to 900/1250

bryter_layter

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
Hello, I recently tried to do a light overclock without voltage tweaks of my good ol' Gigabyte 7950 WF3 Windforce but I have an annoying issue. At the end of the post I'll leave my specs and the things I tried to do.

The Issue
The card normally run at gpu core clock/gpu memory clock 900/1250.
There should be a default Overclock 1000/1250.

Whenever I try to overclock the card, usually with 1100/1375, +20% power (or less), I try Heaven Benchmark and it works great and it's stable and there is a nice fps gain.
The voltage goes up to 1,25 V, temperatures are fine, around 60-65 degrees all the time, the fans kick in good.

Although If I open a game (I tried few of them with ultra settings which would demand the 1100/1375 settings) it comes back to 900/1250 and it never goes up again. Even if i re-open the Heaven Benchmark after opening a game it stays to 900/1250.

I think it's not an issue of my overclock because even the default overclock 1000/1250 is not being applied (or even an underclock) I think I just noticed it now when I tried to overclock myself, I never watched the frequencies before, but now I see that they always revert to 900/1250.

If I restart the PC I'm able to apply the overclock settings again in Heaven Benchmark, but If I open a game it gets stuck to 900/1250 again and stays there even when I re-open Heaven Benchmark.
I was able to see the overclock settings in action in Heaven Benchmark (even for several benchmark in a row, as long as I don't close the application and open something else in between) and in stress tests in Furmark and they were ok. They applied, I noticed a very nice performance increase.
But it keeps getting back to 900/1250 no matter what.

To sum up:
Basically when I start the pc with default settings (default oc 1000/1250) or my oc settings (1100/1375) and I open heaven benchmark I see them working. I can open heaven benchmark several times, make the benchmarks, walk around, and they work good.
But If I open a game the frequencies go to 900/1250 max and stay like this.
If I re-open heaven benchmark after opening a game it's still 900/1250 until i restart the pc.

If someone knows what I should do to make it work, I'd really appreciate that!
Let me know.

Here are the things I tried to do already and my specs.

Things I tried to do:

I tried to overclock less, and I even tried to underclock to something like 800/1200, but it always goes to 900/1250 no matter what.

I canceled the AMD Drivers with DDU and reinstalled the newest one from scratch.

I flashed various bios of the gpu, currently I have the last one.

I disabled the integrated Intel HD4000 GPU and the Multi Monitor IGPU Option from the bios. (Currently I have the card back on to power up the second screen)

I tried Amd Overdrive (inside Radeon Settings), MSI Afterburner, Sapphire Trixx Overclock (I uninstalled one when I tried the other to be sure there was no conflict).

Disabled ULPS via MSI Afterburner.

VERY BIG UPDATE: I uninstalled Afterburner, uninstalled Rivatuner, Clean-Uninstalled all the AMD drivers again, installed the amd-drivers from the end of 2015, just before the Crimson and "Radeon Settings" Update, Overclocked with Amd Catalyst Control AMD Overdrive and IT WORKED.
Sad that new drivers won't work for me though.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Pro 4
CPU: i7 3770
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD
PSU: TX650M
16 GB Ram ddr3
Good Ventilation, 4 fans + CPU cooler.

Solution
VERY BIG UPDATE: I uninstalled Afterburner, uninstalled Rivatuner, Clean-Uninstalled all the AMD drivers again, installed the amd drivers 15.11.1 from the end of 2015, just before the Crimson and "Radeon Settings" Update, Overclocked with Amd Catalyst Control AMD Overdrive and IT WORKED. For every game.

EDIT: it seems to work well with 16.7.2 drivers

bryter_layter

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
It's not Steam per se, but the overclock worked in Heaven and No Man's Sky that are straight-to-game-engine applications, and it didn't in middle earth shadow of mordor or evolve or far cry 3 blood dragon or mortal kombat 10, which were my other tries (v sync off all max). Thing is that after opening an application in which it doesn't work even in Heaven Benchmark or NMS the overclock won't work until I restart the PC

Makentox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2016

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ try search here more advanced forum, cuz i cant really get what u say, u told that u think it has connection with steam because u tried a game that not related to steam and u said it worked, this why i asked again to make it sure.

bryter_layter

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
VERY BIG UPDATE: I uninstalled Afterburner, uninstalled Rivatuner, Clean-Uninstalled all the AMD drivers again, installed the amd drivers 15.11.1 from the end of 2015, just before the Crimson and "Radeon Settings" Update, Overclocked with Amd Catalyst Control AMD Overdrive and IT WORKED. For every game.

EDIT: it seems to work well with 16.7.2 drivers

Solution