News AMD Goads Nvidia Over Stingy VRAM Ahead of RTX 4070 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think the lack of VRAM in current game titles is a problem, but I am not sure if the main reason is because we are not given enough VRAM or simply because game developers are not optimising the game as they used to. It is impossible to fit a 8GB VRAM buffer? I don’t think that is the case. Of course we can solve the problem with more VRAM, but the more you have, the less optimisation will be done by the developers. Eventually the problem will catch up with you even with 16GB of VRAM. Game titles in 2022 pretty much run well and with decent image quality with 8GB VRAM. There are few titles that may need more than 8GB, but dropping the texture quality settings from Ultra to the next highest setting typically solves the problem. Moving to 2023, suddenly VRAM requirements jumped 50% or more, while visually, they don‘t really look much better. So it just screams poor optimisation to me.

Nvidia and AMD are asking extremely high prices for GPU, the bare minimum to ask is that they can keep up with consoles that have 16GB VRAM.
You cannot forget that consoles while having 16GB VRAM that VRAM is shared between the CPU and GPU. The Xbox for example reserves 2GB RAM for the OS so only the Series X you have 14GB RAM for GPU & CPU but on the Series S (10GB VRAM) you only have 8GB for the GPU & CPU. Now your PC GPU's VRAM is dedicated to it only. In many ways your 16GB consoles really only have 8-10GB VRAM for the GPU. This is why the console games usually use lower texture settings or resolution.

A PC GPU released in 2023 should have at least 16GB VRAM, no ifs or buts.
I don't think every GPU needs to have 16GB VRAM. There is no reason for something like an RX6400 to have that much VRAM because it doesn't have the horsepower to drive a game with enough texture quality and resolution to come close to needing that much VRAM. Heck it cannot even come close to getting to where you need 8GB VRAM.

I think the lack of VRAM in current game titles is a problem, but I am not sure if the main reason is because we are not given enough VRAM or simply because game developers are not optimising the game as they used to. It is impossible to fit a 8GB VRAM buffer? I don’t think that is the case. Of course we can solve the problem with more VRAM, but the more you have, the less optimisation will be done by the developers. Eventually the problem will catch up with you even with 16GB of VRAM. Game titles in 2022 pretty much run well and with decent image quality with 8GB VRAM. There are few titles that may need more than 8GB, but dropping the texture quality settings from Ultra to the next highest setting typically solves the problem. Moving to 2023, suddenly VRAM requirements jumped 50% or more, while visually, they don‘t really look much better. So it just screams poor optimisation to me.

While poor optimization is definitely part of the mix, don't expect that to change. As for the timing? Most developers have begun releasing more current gen exclusive console games this year. Last gen had 8GB, this gen has 16GB. Yes, some of that goes to the OS but it still leaves >8GB on the table for the GPU to utilize. Ultimately the reasons don't matter. For some current and probably most future AAA titles at >1080p 8GB cards are DOA. The writing has been on the wall for a couple years now some of us just did not want to see it.

To add, this is more of an issue for last gen NVIDIA cards, whose GPUs have the processing horsepower to run current and releasing AAA titles just not the VRAM capacity. The HUB video posted by PlaneInTheSky is pretty damning, even after a "fix" the 3070 struggles with low framerates and fuzzy, popping in textures.

Reactions: PEnns and FunSurfer
AMD marketing getting a jab across to nVidia... I guess now I'll just wait for the usual AMD karma to hit back in some fashion XD!

Not less true what they say, but given their recent history and when mocking nVidia, they've had some hilarious karma payback.

Anyway, I do like more VRAM than not. As they say: "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

Plus, these GPUs are darn expensive already, so they better be good long term.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I think anyone who buys a GPU with 8GB VRAM is making a mistake. 12/16GB is bare minimum IMO.

My 1080 Ti in 2017 had 11GB... not sure why anyone would think 8GB would cut it with today's AAA titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Nvidia and AMD are asking extremely high prices for GPU, the bare minimum to ask is that they can keep up with consoles that have 16GB VRAM.

It's especially the texture pop-in that looks horrendous on 8GB and 12GB cards.

Games are made for current gen consoles that have 16GB VRAM. Developers have no interest in redoing all the textures for PC GPU that lack VRAM, so you get these horrendous texture pop-ins and massive frame drops on PC when GPU lack VRAM.

I was about to post that video.

And people watching "average fps" only won't know what hit them unless they check the 1% lows.
What a stuttery mess for any card with 8Gb of less!

Worse when some games would need more than 8GB even at medium settings D:

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The best reply AMD should have is releasing a card not talking trash about someone else's!
Why? Almost all their modern cards have 16+Gb of vram.
They already RELEASED a card that fits their point.

And benchmarkers and reviewers already gave them a point.

AMD's cards fared way better than Nvidia's (at least in the then high end during the 3000 Nvidia series days) upwards.

Worse when Nvidia still launched 8GB cards in the last months.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008

It's especially the texture pop-in that looks horrendous on 8GB and 12GB cards.

Games are made for current gen consoles that have 16GB VRAM. Developers have no interest in redoing all the textures for PC GPU that lack VRAM, so you get these horrendous texture pop-ins and massive frame drops on PC when GPU lack VRAM.

Two things: One, the consoles do not have access to all 16GB ram for games and two, that is their entire RAM pool, game and video ram.

There isn't a direct 1:1 comparison since the console version will always be more optimized and streamlined, but I'd wager the average gaming PC has 16GB main RAM, if not more, to go with the 16GB VRAM, which would be the rough equivalent of 32GB for a console.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Nvidia loves brute force computing until it's on the pupe end of the stick ! Like Steve at Hardware Unboxed said 8 gigs vram is the new entry level graphics. I believe that 12 gig vram will suffer the same fate sooner rather than later. Just for reference Nvidia's mid range flagship ( 4070 and 4070ti) that they are changing as high as AMD'S last gen high end flagships ( 6800 to 6950XT) but with less vram than those gpus. Anyone want potato graphics at 240 fps with frame generation? Anyone?

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Probably shouldn't be talking trash to the guy that's already kicking your teeth out.
How are they doing that? The 4090 is the only card that delivers a better performance. 4080 and 4070Ti fall short of XTX and XT. With the mich better pricing and higher VRAM of AMDs last gen making them better deals right now it drives AMD's point home even more.
PS: The fact that you resorted to a violent imagery to make your half baked point made your argument even more toothless.

How are they doing that? The 4090 is the only card that delivers a better performance. 4080 and 4070Ti fall short of XTX and XT. With the mich better pricing and higher VRAM of AMDs last gen making them better deals right now it drives AMD's point home even more.
PS: The fact that you resorted to a violent imagery to make your half baked point made your argument even more toothless.
The RX 7900 XT dropped $100 in price because nobody is buying those cards.

Two things: One, the consoles do not have access to all 16GB ram for games and two, that is their entire RAM pool, game and video ram.

There isn't a direct 1:1 comparison since the console version will always be more optimized and streamlined, but I'd wager the average gaming PC has 16GB main RAM, if not more, to go with the 16GB VRAM, which would be the rough equivalent of 32GB for a console.

Three different software stacks that cannot be compared directly. Further, both PS5 and Xbox will have greater than 8GB of the shared pool allocated to the GPU (Cursory search indicates between 2GB and 3GB for the OS and background processes). Most if not all AAA console games will be targeting that VRAM usage. All graphical assets are likely to be reused in PC ports. The end result is 8GB cards suffering in modern PC ports. We are starting to see this now.

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017

The PS5 has two pools of RAM: a main pool of 16 GB GDDR6 SDRAM and a secondary pool of 512 MB DDR4 SDRAM Memory. The main pool is used at high bandwidth rates for high-performance gaming. The secondary pool is used for background tasks performed by the operating system.

Reactions: FunSurfer and blppt

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

While I mostly agree with what your saying, PC is a different beast than console. We are seeing 8GB vram cards choke in way more titles than we should for cards yet to have been launched and plenty of games where 12GB is barely enough on PC, particularly at 4K though 1440/1080P (fringe cases) fall victim too depending on the titles.

Three different software stacks that cannot be compared directly. Further, both PS5 and Xbox will have greater than 8GB of the shared pool allocated to the GPU (Cursory search indicates between 2GB and 3GB for the OS and background processes). Most if not all AAA console games will be targeting that VRAM usage. All graphical assets are likely to be reused in PC ports. The end result is 8GB cards suffering in modern PC ports. We are starting to see this now.

This is on the money...PC has long used way more resources than console. YES some of it is lazy devs not optimizing titles but a fair amount of it is PC lives on the cutting edge with graphics. We get eye candy, features and/or frame rates consoles can only dream about til the next gen, at least this far into the console cycle. Its usually only the first year or two consoles can clown PC in terms of visuals after they launch. So yeah at the end of the day 12GB should be entry level if you ask me. This is what the RTX 4050/60 cards should be dropping with 12GB. 70 series cards should be getting 16GB, 80 series 24GB and 90 series 32GB. But Nvidia wants to ensure your frame rates tank sooner rather than later so your forced to buy their next under spec'd vram card because AMD doesn't do a great job in competing with features or price.

Reactions: blppt and CelicaGT

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Yup. And with all those fancy mental gymnastics AMD is getting outsold 6:1. If they had the better product, it would be the other way around.

passivecool

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
I would love to buy a high vram amd gpu to go with my R9, but have doubts about the stability of the drivers in productivity (adobe cc) which is awful as is with Nvid.Anyone have any experience to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.