AMD Hints at Possible ARM Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]x4dm[/nom]So does this mean that AMD is just giving up?[/citation]
Of course not, it could mean they are seeing what they think is writing on the walls and wanted to abandon x86, keep in that AMD's ultimate vision, the Fusion processor will not be a Phenom + GPU, it would have homogeneous dual-capability cores. So basically 1 core could do both CPU and GPU work.

This also means the future completed fusion could probably work well with both ARM and x86.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
AMD is gr8 in all other CPU markets except ARM thats where ARM comes into picture, imagine AMD+ARM Intel will be in trouble and also Samsung will be trouble.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]. . . or they've realized that they're never going to catch the lead dog and they're trying something new.[/citation]
or they're using their heads and branching out to other profitable areas.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]or they're using their heads and branching out to other profitable areas.[/citation]
+1

Would be stupid to pretend that ARM isn't going to be a huge player in the future. Especially in the mobile market. I honestly wouldn't mind if ARM takes over x86 in the desktop market, but ARM will need a lot of work for that to happen.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]x4dm[/nom]So does this mean that AMD is just giving up?[/citation]
no it means AMD has to do what intel doesn't in order to thrive. "get in where you fit in!" - snoop dogg

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... i would glad to have an iPhone with radeon in it... tegra ir an ARM/nVidia chip... so why not a ARM/ATi?[/citation]

[citation][nom]AznShinobi[/nom]Not to burst your bubble, but ATI is dead. AMD's the name now.[/citation]

... but you get the point?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... i would glad to have an iPhone with radeon in it... tegra ir an ARM/nVidia chip... so why not a ARM/ATi?[/citation]
Oh, and what would you do with it? Encode video? Animate menus "even smoother"? Play games? Sigh...

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]They see how Nvidia is starting to dominate the market with tegra2 and AMD wants a piece of the pie.[/citation]

Tegra 2 devices are few and far between, Nvidia is at best a bit player in the Arm marketplace and to think otherwise is a mistake.

i_am_aronman

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Not that i am not interested in what will happen with this (hopefully good things) but the lack of bulldozer news is disturbing...

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
"Of course not, it could mean they are seeing what they think is writing on the walls and wanted to abandon x86"

I partly agree. I agree that they may see it as writing on the wall to get into the bandwagon of mobile devices but they don’t necessary need to abandon x86 altogether. Any good business will follow where the money goes.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]They see how Nvidia is starting to dominate the market with tegra2 and AMD wants a piece of the pie.[/citation]
... dominate is a too strong word... the tegra 2 is outdated already... so that's why nVidia is so fast working on tegra 3... [citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Oh, and what would you do with it? Encode video? Animate menus "even smoother"? Play games? Sigh...[/citation]
... and why not... apple changed from nVidia to AMD/ATi in MacBook Pro's... why not in mobile space... ?

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
How long has intel been trying to shrink x86 to the point where it consumes roughly the same power as ARM? years? and they've gotten nowhere but a crappy atom processor that doesn't even belong in netbooks and too hungry for tablets.

AMD is more willing to step away from x86 to produce something new, whereas intel has pretty much stated from the beginning they'll be sticking with x86 thru hell and high water. But the fact is x86 just doesn't do well in such small devices where power consumption trumps all. You can produce the processors at 15nm with all the power saving tricks available but it won't match up to an ARM on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.