AMD Hires Away Nvidia's CUDA Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
If this means ATi get's physx, WHY THE HELL DID I PAY SO MUCH FOR MY FERMI?!

i "HAD" the money to crossfire a pair of 5850's but nooo.. i had to buy a NVIDIA 3D vision kit..

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]If this means ATi get's physx, WHY THE HELL DID I PAY SO MUCH FOR MY FERMI?!i "HAD" the money to crossfire a pair of 5850's but nooo.. i had to buy a NVIDIA 3D vision kit..[/citation]

What i mean by "i had to buy a NVIDIA 3D vision kit.." is that if i was to change to ATi, i would not be able to do 3D anymore, messed myself up there.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
All right, conspiracy time. ATI didn't hire him, he was released by nV to be a plant. Now he can sabotage and nV will be victorious. You know, conspiracy theorists really do have a lot of fun.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]It's sad but nVidia will die unless they buy a processor company that will allow them to manufacture CPUs... ARM, anyone?[/citation]
Ah no.

Just because Nvidia "failed"(yet will still make tons of money) with this current generation of desktop GPUs doesn't mean they are going anywhere. They will make money on the 300 series not to mention their other projects.Nvidia may have lost some market share with the ATI cards being agreed upon to be better but they wont go under because of it.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]It's sad but nVidia will die unless they buy a processor company that will allow them to manufacture CPUs... ARM, anyone?[/citation]

Nvidia are too successful to die, look at VIA, they're still fighting to produce usable and cool products, they used to make the most power efficient CPU's and chipsets ever, now look at them, falling behind even Intel.

Nvidia is the opposite, creating the fastest GPU cores in the world year after year, that's why people buy from them, oh and for the features.

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Would be awesome to see PhysX on ATI cards. They should just call it a truce and share technology. That way they can go back to fighting for my $$ on an even field again :]

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
the day AMD is on par with INTEL is the day i think people should start getting worried, because if successful they are capable of overrunning the market and monopolizing the industry.

I Love AMD products but when that day comes, i can only hope a company can go head to head with its own all in 1 system against them.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I think we all miss the point here.
"Hegde previously served as vice president of CUDA Technical Marketing at Nvidia".

Ageia Technologies wasn't much of a success, nvidia bought them to have a small extra under their belt. Marketing isn't the best department there is, unless the man doing the job (leading the team) knows how to properly advertise a product. I hope that ATi won't let him mess it up, they don't have a huge budget (unlike Nvidia) to spend.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
PhysX is already open, ATI just doesn't know how to do it and even went to the point of saying "we have something better." They are hoping this guy can "lead the way" to helping them utilize PhysX.

ddkshah

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Intel is a 100 billion dollar company. AMD/ATI is a 5 billion dollar company. I don't think Intel is going to break a sweat for a long time.

[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]They will make money on the 300 series not to mention their other projects.[/citation]

300 series was an nVidia-backed OEM rebrandation. It's a POS.

Other projects would be remaking FERMI into a workstation GPU. FERMI is huge, and the margins are slim.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]This guy can't reveal any nVidia company secrets to AMD...[/citation]

Ofcourse he can't, nVidia placed a chip on his brain to stop him from doing such a thing ... pff.

What exactly do you think is stopping him to reveal such secrets using "unofficial channels"?

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
This guy was in charge of MARKETING cuda, not making it. The only thing he's likely to have up his sleeve is a fancy ad campaign or a rubber chicken.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Damn, good poach.[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]This guy was in charge of MARKETING cuda, not making it. The only thing he's likely to have up his sleeve is a fancy ad campaign or a rubber chicken.[/citation]Right, not only did you not read the entire article, you couldn't finish the first paragraph: "...before that was chief executive officer
and co-founder of AGEIA Technologies Inc."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS