AMD,INTEL APU FX what makes this stuff up?CPU's need help as i am torn. long story please read and advise. thank you

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
ok here it goes.

i have multiple systems: i not going to list all specs as my main focus is on the CPUs and the specs involved/or necessary to help me make a decision. will be listed and will also be focal point. you'll get it. i also plan to overclock anything in question

i have or had a MSI z77 BIG BANG motherboard with a i7 3770k. ran really well until i did something stupid and delided it cause i can't help myself when there is potentially more power to be had. i bought this system back when the 3770k was really the best you could get aside from any 1000 extreme editions CPUs from intel which was at that time still a 400$ cpu and 250 mobo 16gig 2400 gskill 10-10-10-31 trident 1.65v. xmp capable.

anyways i chipped a part of the pcb of the cpu,cussed a lot, installed it back into the motherboard wouldn't even fire up. there goes a 400$ piece of hardware. I7 3770k dead.

so i have a friend at work he just got a intel system and i asked if i could by his old AMD system.(for 100$ was good price and could get me by for a while)
specs: gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 rev1 with a FX6300 6 core amd.
the FX 6300 is a good overclocker from what i heard but the board 990fxa rev1 is not the board to do it with. any way so now with everything being equal graka, ram(now only running half the speed, cause wont boot other wise even with latest bios update) ssd, and noctua cooler 750watts gold PSU. this thing is HALF as fast im talking like slugish, i screwed an extra 5cm fan on the north brigde cooler cause rev1 has a problem that it heats up to the point to where it crashes but a small fan solved that problem. win for me. still slow!

so after i said im never spending money on a intel again i decided to buy a sandy bridge 2700k and overclock it, already have the parts, and found a good deal on ebay for 200$. i get it. ... DOA Tried on msi p67mobo and my z77mobo just to make sure it wasn't the mobos fault. p67 had working 2500k sandy in it from my gf so there is no doubt it should work. but no now i have 200$ tied up in it and am working with ebay to send it back. and while im waiting i began to look at alternatives and differences between amd and intel and why it is so sloow compared to what i had, i just need that extra umpf. if you know what i mean.

SO for 200$ you can get a new CPU and a new MOBO and what i really want is my MOBO to be uptodate nothing fancy but like PCI express 3.0 is not too much to ask for and a MOBO that will run my RAM at 2400mhz with out a hitch. and a motherboard the will over clock this cpu with frying itself in the process looks like it could be available for 200~ something $'s if i went with an APU FM2+ now boards that are fully stocked with features are becoming increasing hard to find such as the gigabyte sniper fm2+ which looks amazing but isn't sold any where any more and it really makes me wonder WHY??
additionally i also heard that an APU A10 is not as good as a fx6300 or 8350 but i want my features and i want them now this has become a serious first world problem for me.
is there a mobo that has a chip that supports all those features listed above cause i already have a FX 6300 if a proper motherboard for it is all i need then ill go with that and put my money into that.
i have looked far and wide and the best i have came up with is my board rev 4.1 cause i actually dont even know why but it is top seller on newegg and i hate it! no reversion will change it.

i have a nvidia card love it! NOT investing more money cause it plays everything i need it to given the correct system and from what i heard the "APUs" will function as processors. in a sense idk really but i am not trying game with my cpu, i have a 770 for that i want to know what an apu brings to the table when not coupled with and ATI card or not playing a mantle game? or is it really true that a fx6300 6core 10 year cpu will wipe the floor with a new apuA10 4 core and "6 grafics units cores" <-whatever the hell it mean.

on the other hand i can switch back to intel and have like everything on the cheap get an I3 and a midioker board and caus i want new and not used any more and ill pick my own parts that work. and maybe in the future be able to up grade say a 1150 z97 board. onth cheap. i also thought a saw a board somewhere that could OC a i3 not by mutli but byFSB the more power the better.
i can find AMD for 200$ ill more than will to work with intel as as long as it is like faster than what i have. if anyone has came from amd to intel and then hand downgrade i tell you it just been a string of bad luck and i hate intel for charging so much damn money for a quad core CPU.

other thoughts i could just buy a ps4 and call it a day i have never been a console person but i tell you, just to be able to play the newest games that are usually console ports anyway is really starting to get and time consuming costly. i ain't got time to build a new pc every weekend i could get a second job makin money. crazy!

if you got this far suggestions are need and help ful and thank you for letting me vent.

Solution
You started with an intel i7 and now are working on an fx 6xxx cpu. It's not going to be anywhere near as fast but for $100 it's not a terrible deal. Pretty good deal actually. Overclocking the fx will help some if you were able to but it won't get anywhere near your old cpu's performance. Neither will an overclocked fx 8350. It's only helpful to compare cpu speeds in terms of frequency (ghz) when you're comparing two similar cpu's from the same brand and same generation.

You can't compare an fx 8xxx cpu at 4.5 ghz to an intel i5 at 3.9 ghz. You can't compare a 3.5ghz i5 2500k to a 3.5ghz i5 6600k (different generations). You can effectively compare speed between say an i5 4590 and i5 4690k, they're both haswell and both intel (4th...
You started with an intel i7 and now are working on an fx 6xxx cpu. It's not going to be anywhere near as fast but for $100 it's not a terrible deal. Pretty good deal actually. Overclocking the fx will help some if you were able to but it won't get anywhere near your old cpu's performance. Neither will an overclocked fx 8350. It's only helpful to compare cpu speeds in terms of frequency (ghz) when you're comparing two similar cpu's from the same brand and same generation.

You can't compare an fx 8xxx cpu at 4.5 ghz to an intel i5 at 3.9 ghz. You can't compare a 3.5ghz i5 2500k to a 3.5ghz i5 6600k (different generations). You can effectively compare speed between say an i5 4590 and i5 4690k, they're both haswell and both intel (4th gen).

An i3 will do a bit better than the fx 6xxx in some games, around the same or similar in others. Rather than piecing together a bunch of builds that turn into money pits with perpetual upgrades, I'd suggest using the system you've got and saving up to put together one that will last you awhile.

Amd has two types of chips, cpu's and apu's. The cpu is just that, a cpu. You have to pair it with a dedicated video card like the gtx 770. An apu is a cpu with a gpu built into it. Better than the older 'on board' graphics that came soldered to motherboards but nowhere near a dedicated gpu like the 770. Being amd, its integrated graphics are radeon hd and pair with a single discrete radeon card for crossfire though it would need to match depending on the apu if I'm not mistaken. Intel has a similar approach, the i3's, i5's and i7's all have what intel calls an igpu (integrated graphics processing unit) - basically it's an apu, cpu/gpu in one chip. Good enough for getting a display to do office tasks, watch dvd's or youtube vids, play light steam games or fb flash games. That's about it. Broadwell has the best igpu at the moment in the intel lineup and gives amd's apu's a run for their money. If you're looking to play witcher 3, gta v, ac unity etc then you'll want a dedicated graphics card like the gtx 770 which is stronger than any integrated graphics from either company.

Unless you're doing a lot of video editing, live streaming your gameplay and that sort of thing an i7 is overkill for gaming. An i5 would do just as well for 2/3 the price. It's unfortunate that you got a bad chip from ebay and there should be some recourse if it was doa. However that's part of buying a used cpu, it's a gamble and doesn't come with a factory warranty. It's not intel's fault or a reason to stay away from intel. It's also unfortunate that you damaged your i7 when you delidded it but again that voids the warranty and needs to be done carefully (if at all). A much larger risk than overclocking presents and it's rolling the dice. It's also not intel's fault.

If you don't use your pc for anything else besides checking email or other light tasks and all you want to do is game and don't have any issue with only having some titles available (based on the licensing to whichever console, not all games are available on each console), then that's definitely an option. Planning out your pc build and using reputable parts along with being careful (avoid delidding), it should be a one and done venture. Not upgrading/replacing parts every weekend. That's more or less a pitfall of trying to circumvent doing it right and piecemeal things together.

Intel charges according to performance, i5's have been constantly rated the best gaming cpu for the money by multiple sources. It's not a huge amount to spend really, an i5 4590 can be had for under $200. It doesn't overclock but performs really well. Brushing over the i3 and overclocking, it can have the bus tweaked a bit but the default is 100mhz. True overclocking involves altering the multiplier. Say you have an i3 running at 3.7ghz, it's running 100mhz on the bus X a multiplier of 37 = 3700mhz. Upping the bus speed to 104mhz, you'll end up 3848 mhz. Effectively going from 3.7 to 3.8 which has almost 0 noticeable impact on performance.

Trying to push the bus much further will likely land you in blue screens, it's not as if you can push the bus to 112 and get over 4ghz. This is changing some with skylake but not entirely. The bus is still a tad touchy, what they have done is fine tuned the bus speed control so it can be adjusted in finer increments than haswell/ivy. The multiplier is still where it's at for a solid overclock with appreciable gains and involves a k series cpu and z series motherboard to avoid issues.

Just keep in mind that amd and intel cpu's are priced according to their performance. The i5 is a little costlier and gives more performance than an 8350. The 6300/6350 and i3's tend to trade blows in performance, they cost about the same. An i7 costs more than either an i5 or fx 8350 and amd has no counterpart to match it. If you were to buy an fx 8350 and a suitable motherboard along with a good enough cooler to keep it from overheating and overclocked it - performance wise it would come close to a locked i5. Factoring those costs, it's the same as buying a locked i5 running on the stock cooler, stock speeds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $275.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-15 21:03 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $275.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-15 21:04 EDT-0400

So no intel isn't 'so darned expensive' by comparison. Those two cpu's will perform similarly in games with the i5 having the edge and doesn't need overclocked while the 8350 would. If you're put off by the cost of a gaming pc then a console is always worth considering as well. It comes down to your needs and preferences. If you want to push more pixels on a smaller screen up closer to your eyes with sharp detail and wish to do other things with your rig the pc is the way to go. If you're happy with 30fps on a larger less crisp t.v. viewed from a further distance, then a console will work too.

Solution

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
thank you, you have made some very valid points. i really want a pc i can build on and i was really hoping there was a way to switch to amd since i already have running pc with parts from AMD and and since the sockets haven't really changed in years it is or could technically be a good thing because well, intel changes one number on chip name and they add a pin on the socket and nothing is compatible anymore you just go out and buy hardware because its like 5% faster than the old one and now has one usb 3.1 plugin. its like freakin apple cant go to school unless you have one. ok well ill just look around i appreciate your input. i like the 59's with ddr4 i could get into that if i have to save anyway. i think the 67's aren't really going to be the new high end i would prefer the 4790k over the 6700k. and i am also eager to know what the ZEN is going to belike from amd they surprised me with thier grafic card would be nice if they could do the same with a new proc!