AMD, Intel Plotting Six-Core CPU Releases

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]Why six cores? Doesn't it make more sense to double? 1 core...2 core...4 core...8 core...? so in a decade we'll all be running 256 core CPUs of which the cores composed of carbon nanotubes and single electron transistors running at a terahertz with a 8192 bit wide bus on a 32 socket double sided motherboard![/citation]

Yep, and my nose bleeds....

[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]You're missing the point, I think. The argument actually is very much valid, and alive. Applications which are written well to take advantage of multiple cores run quite fast on a dual-core, and so on. But most apps are not written with this in mind, so you can throw them at 6 cores, or 8 cores but it won't utilize the power which it has at its disposal. That's the point. Yes, of course more cores are better, but are they better because you think they are, or because they really are. Hardware and software should compliment one another, it's not optimal when one hardware outruns software so far ahead that it's actually pointless to pay for the fast hardware.[/citation]
Most apps can't be written in a multi threaded nature. Sure some things (ie UI,etc) can be handled by a different thread but today's CPUs/GPUs are fast enough it won't make a difference.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]hopefully quad core price will drop a lot once the 6 core comes out~ hehe[/citation]Considering you can get a quad core AMD 620 for some $90 on newegg, I think your excuse is invalid (recent price drops due to i3 and i5 and AMD xx5 releases).

Can't say I need 6 cores at home but at work the extra 2 cores would be amazing when compiling with 2-3+ windows of Acrobat reader, and/or debuggers, programming environments, company required security and backup software...

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]You're missing the point, I think. The argument actually is very much valid, and alive. Applications which are written well to take advantage of multiple cores run quite fast on a dual-core, and so on. But most apps are not written with this in mind, so you can throw them at 6 cores, or 8 cores but it won't utilize the power which it has at its disposal. That's the point. Yes, of course more cores are better, but are they better because you think they are, or because they really are. Hardware and software should compliment one another, it's not optimal when one hardware outruns software so far ahead that it's actually pointless to pay for the fast hardware.[/citation]

You are completely missing the point. More cores makes for better multi-tasking. You under estimate how difficult it is to efficiently utilize parallel processing, and the overhead that is involved. Some tasks simply can't be distributed across multiple cores. While it's nice for processor intensive programs to utilize all of your cores, most programs don't need to, and those extra cores allow you to run more programs at the same time without hindering each other's performance.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
nice, but not something i care about. i want AMD to release a faster quad (32nm?), so i can get more gaming performance. 2 more cores? pointless for me.

anyone know if AMD have any new quads in the works? something to justify an upgrade from a 3.6Ghz PII?

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I know I'm ready for six cores. I need some help with the programs that I run. I'm with falchard. We all know Intel's chips are going to be exorbitantly priced compared to AMD, so I'll stick with AMD.

G

I have a crazy idea, I just patented it, 7 cores. Suck on that intel and AMD.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]fatkid35[/nom]omni your right, software developers need to get their multicore sh*t together.[/citation]

Yeah, those damn developers. Because writing multi-core, thread safe apps is child's play.

ljbade

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Im waiting for the AM3 8 cores to come out in 2011 before upgrading... 4 -> 6 isn't that much of an improvement, but 4 -> 8 is a lot better.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Aleksa2009[/nom]Yes AMD will always produce variations of binned product e.g X4=X3 and X2X6=X5 CPU's.ATI 5870=5850 and 5830 etc[/citation]
All companies do that to improve margins.
nVidia:
GTX 280(5) -> GTX 260/275
GTS 250/9800GTX -> 9800GT
Intel:
i7 975 -> 920
i3 540 -> 530
Just to give you some examples.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]You are completely missing the point. More cores makes for better multi-tasking. You under estimate how difficult it is to efficiently utilize parallel processing, and the overhead that is involved. Some tasks simply can't be distributed across multiple cores. While it's nice for processor intensive programs to utilize all of your cores, most programs don't need to, and those extra cores allow you to run more programs at the same time without hindering each other's performance.[/citation]
You know I'm not disagreeing with you, but my point is still a decent spin on the fundamental issue that more cores do not translate to proportionate scaling. If you told me that to go from 2 cores to 4 cores would double performance simply because of multitasking efficiency then I would have absolutely no case, but we all know that this is not the case at all.

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Can someone tell me why the HELL we need 6 cores? I'm waiting for an answer. Really.[/citation]

We don't. It's the lazy chip makers way to faking progress.

aussiexboxfreak

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
To those asking why we need more cores, any animator who has to wait for something to render is saying thank bloody god, we'd take a million cores if we could!

Unlike most programs, 3D render packages are the first to support extra cores, quite often before they are even released.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Few apps and games can use two cores. Even fewer can use 4. I will never say hexacores are useless, but they'll be a niche product for years to come. Encoders, renderers (sp?) and heavy multitaskers will love it, but for most people and especially gamers, even a quad core is more than needed. The lower clock speed of a hexacore will be a disadvantage in fact...

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]god dam are some people stupid WHO USES ONE APPLICATION AT A TIME?[/citation]

1) Please stop your blasphemy.

2) I use one application at a time. I can't stand having multiple programs open at once, call it a pet peeve.

KC8DKT

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
All we can do is HOPE for the new cores to have more optimization and be at the same or faster clock speeds. That's the only way EVERY ONE would see a diff. More of the same cores would only help with graphics, rendering, and coding apps more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.