AMD, Intel Plotting Six-Core CPU Releases

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer_ken07

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I bet AMD wins this round for a simple reason.AMD 6-core for $300.Intel 6-core for $1200.[/citation]
with that price your got 24 core AMD in intel 6 core price..mmm

oblivionlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"But it's already been so many years since the first dual core has been released and we still only get minor advantages from more than 1 core in games"

This is total bull. Since the majority of games from the end of 06 till present day utilize at least 2 main threads then find me a benchmark on a popular game from that time frame that has at least 2 main threads and does not show any significant performance benefit with 2 cores over 1?

I'd say at the end of 07 on up, there wasn't a popular PC game or popular app that didn't have the capability to utilize 2 cores efficiently and show a significant performance over single core processors.

If you think this is wrong then show some benchmarks.

oblivionlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"But it's already been so many years since the first dual core has been released and we still only get minor advantages from more than 1 core in games"

This is total bull. Since the majority of games from the end of 06 till present day utilize at least 2 main threads then find me a benchmark on a popular game from that time frame that has at least 2 main threads and does not show any significant performance benefit with 2 cores over 1?

I'd say at the end of 07 on up, there wasn't a popular PC game or popular app that didn't have the capability to utilize 2 cores efficiently and show a significant performance over single core processors.

If you think this is wrong then show some benchmarks.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I think 8 core server chips will be out around the time 6 core consumer ones become available. I don't see any reason to jump on the sword for this one, I'll wait a year or two before I even think about upgrading. I don't see my Q9550 being pushed near it's limit in the next 2-3 years.

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]jeffunit[/nom]Perhaps I was trapped in a time machine.AMD did this in June 2009.Anyone could buy an AMD 6 core processor for the last 7 months.See http://www.amd.com/us/press-releas [...] jun01.aspxBefore anyone flames me for saying they aren't desktop processors, they will fit in a standard case, and start around $600.The only thing that might be newsworthy, would be a price reduction, or some that fit in an AM3 socket.[/citation]
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]AMD's been shipping 6 core Opterons for 8 months now.[/citation]
The thing here is PC(desktops/laptops). I think opterons, although it fits in a standard case, are mainly for larger computers like minicomputers, mainframe computers, supercomputers etc., and intel has the xeon 7400(6 cores also) launched more than a year ago.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]aussiexboxfreak[/nom]To those asking why we need more cores, any animator who has to wait for something to render is saying thank bloody god, we'd take a million cores if we could!Unlike most programs, 3D render packages are the first to support extra cores, quite often before they are even released.[/citation]
Like some one has already mentioned, that's why the likes of CUDA will become more and more relevant: For Avatar: "...When running on a NVIDIA Tesla S1070 GPU-based server featuring the CUDA architecture, instead of a CPU-based server, PantaRay’s ray tracing process has proven to be up to 25 times faster. “If we think about how long it would take to handle this much complexity with traditional methods, we’re probably close to 100 times faster,” said Sylwan. Weta Digital plans to use PantaRay, running on NVIDIA Tesla GPUs, for the upcoming Steven Spielberg/Peter Jackson film, Tintin, as well as exploring new ways in which PantaRay and GPUs can further accelerate its overall visual effects pipeline. "

viper_11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Brender[/nom]Anyone who uses Mental Ray is smiling[/citation]

excactly if only the cores are as powerfull as in quad and not a more powerfull but lower clocked core just to make it sooner to the 6core market (like AMD i think is going to do :( )

And for those don't use mental ray or rendering 3D staff.

You will zip/unzip a fill while you will watch a blueray film and at the same time have your msn/skype/utorrent on and you antivirus scanning without loosing performance in any of the jobs you do.

So the answer to the question were is the software to use it (if i am not a professional) is Operating System that allrady take advantages of multicore and will let software like PHOTOSHOP to run in one core while Os and other apps using the rest 4-5 etc.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I really don't understand all the hostility from some people about moving on with technology. It's just a natural progression for them to release 6-cores and then 8-cores. Obviously some people can use all 6, if that doesn't include you then you don't have to buy one.

I've been using my q6600 for way over a year now and I couldn't go back to a dual. I run Folding@Home GPU client 24/7 when I'm not gaming, usually have a torrent client sitting there seeding, and still have plenty of room left for 15 other things I might end up running all at once as well. True not all the games I play can utilize all four cores so when I play them I can leave my torrents running. FSX, which I play a lot, LOVES my quad, and it would love a 6-core even more.

That being said, I don't yet feel compelled to upgrade to the 6-core. I'm still plenty happy with the speed of my quad (oc'ed @ 3Ghz). I'll probably use it for a few more years until I'm freaking tired of it and hopefully by then I can get an 8-core for ~$200. I just don't see the need to spend a lot more money until I can get more than double the performance.

viper_11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]jeffunit[/nom]Perhaps I was trapped in a time machine.AMD did this in June 2009.Anyone could buy an AMD 6 core processor for the last 7 months.See http://www.amd.com/us/press-releas [...] jun01.aspxBefore anyone flames me for saying they aren't desktop processors, they will fit in a standard case, and start around $600.The only thing that might be newsworthy, would be a price reduction, or some that fit in an AM3 socket.[/citation]

the benchmarks of this cpu showed that those six cores could harldy take over Intels quad core Xeon (with the new core i7 like).

So i hope those new 6 core CPU have faster cores or at least have a price around i7 920 = $200-300

viper_11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]FSXFan[/nom]I really don't understand all the hostility from some people about moving on with technology. It's just a natural progression for them to release 6-cores and then 8-cores. Obviously some people can use all 6, if that doesn't include you then you don't have to buy one.[/citation]

and imagine that (from a fromer Intel employ) I know that in 2006 they had 8 cores ready and they were trying to move to 32 smaller & slower cores. So i am sure people if intel willing to go from 8 cores straight to 32 we will see multicore implementation in ALL new software otherwise Intel will be screwed if they have 32 cores and each one with the CPU power of a P4 core!!!

etracer65

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Those of use running non-Windows desktops already have operating systems and applications that effectively utilize multiple cores. I'm looking forward to a dual-socket 12-core machine with 24 threads.

notty22

Distinguished
This short article already shows us the winner. Inel, AMD is going to be at least 4 months LATE with their desktop 6 core. I put my money on 9 months and not before 2011.

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Doubling the clock speed is progress. Doubling the number of cores is not!

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

The 486 and Pentium are both single core. What's your point?

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If AMD's X6 is about $300, I'm in for one, but I bet it probably won't be a big improvement if any over my i7 920. If the price is in the $1000 range, then I'll buy Intel because everyone already knows that AMD can't beat Intel in performance.

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
[citation][nom]the greater good[/nom]I've read through most of the posts here and a lot of people are asking "What can you do with more cores?" Well, speaking only for me... I run BOINC. The more cores I have, the more tasks I can do at once. Instead of 4, I could do 6. You leave that running 24/7, that's 48 hours extra crunch time in one day over the quad core CPU.That's not the only reason I'd like a 6 core CPU, but it's a big one.[/citation]

Yeah, but won't you rather have quadcore @ 6.2GHz than octocore @ 3.1GHz?

4banger4life

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I don't care what anyone say's about anything. I am in love with Mass Effect 2.[/citation]

Everyone says "Please keep your non-article related, freaky-ass software fetish out of the comments section." .

That being said, I wish you and Shepard the utmost happiness.

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
[citation][nom]HundredIslandsBoy[/nom]Sure. I want one core, one thread, at 6 Ghz! Lol... You haven't been reading about more and more apps being designed to use all available cores, including the latest games?[/citation]

Which latest app/game actually take advantage of more than 3 cores? And you want 8? Ever considered the overhead and development effort involved in milking that little bit of gain which is measly compare to if you double the clock speed? STFU noob.

G

As someone who's tried transcoding 6 DVD's simulatenously whilst playing Quake online I can only say bring on the cores! No matter how many you throw at me I'm probably always going to find some ridiculous load to put them under :)

ananymouse

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
My interest is in video encoding. Until GPU computing becomes mainstream, you still need a fast cpu. (though the Winfast Cell cpu Card might suit some users)

The upcoming AMD 6 cores are reputedly going to top out at 2.8GHz. Unfortunately, unless there are any architectural improvements, a 2.8GHz AMD 6 core will give approximately the same encoding performance as an i7 860 or i7 920. With the i7 860 currently going for around $280, it bodes ill for any $300+ AMD cpu's.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
you know i just dont want to pay the premium for it.

i understand that more power means you can charge the same if not more for something (keep up profits and jobs)... i just dont want to pay for it. this means all the processors now will be phased out and a few popular (not to mention not so great) ones will stay. leaving us with no choice but to pay for what we dont need. most of us that is.

god damn i still have my first edition core2duo oc 1.86ghz running all my games. h2, ut3, crisis, conan....

Status
Not open for further replies.