AMD Introduces 'Enhanced Sync' Framerate Synchronization Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take the mild tearing with a side of mediocre tech.

"Unlike VSync, Enhanced Sync doesn’t lock the frame rate maximum to the display’s refresh rate. Instead, it uncaps the frame rate to reduce latency in exchange for some mild tearing. "

"Enhanced sync allows occasional tearing instead of allowing the GPU to repeat the previous frame and introduce a momentary stutter."

So your game-play is hypothetically silky smooth but you can't see what you are clicking due to "mild tearing"

I can't stand tearing nor stutters.

Much simpler to just turn down your settings and use regular v-sync if you don't have access to free-sync or g-sync.

Silky smooth and no tearing.

No point trying to compromise between graphical fidelity and frame tearing.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Does this mean that Enhanced Sync would be an option that games would add to their settings menu? I wonder if games sponsored by nVidia might be forced to not use Enhanced Sync?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD didn't introduce FreeSync in response to GSync. It introduced it in response to the Display Port standard introducing AdaptiveSync. It's why it works with any new display. It's already apart of the display technology. It's just that now AMD isn't relying on the display manufacturer to add the setting for the display drivers.

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
@AnimeMania.Its a exclusive option to amd user under Crimson setting.Its doesn't necessarily need to be implemented as an ingame option.Its similar to Nvidia's fast sync

The idea of what Enhanced Sync does might seem complicated at first but it easier to wrap your head around if you look at the system in two states: above the refresh rate of your panel and below the refresh rate. When your game is running at 90 FPS on a 60 Hz screen, you generally had the decision to enable or disable standard Vsync, which allowed you a tear-free experience with longer latency from mouse/keyboard input to the next frame (because you were metering the gaming engine) or with screen tearing at the lowest latency for input. With Enhanced Sync the game engine is allowed to render at its full speed (90 FPS in this example) but the driver only outputs the latest FULL frame when the displays refresh window resets. This gives you no on-screen tearing and faster input by letting the game engine continue to *think* its output at 90 FPS.(Credits: PCPer)

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Adaptive Vsync still has input lag if you're consistently at the maximum threshold like if Vsync was fully on but unlike adaptive Vsync, Vsync has stuttering at low frame rates being hard capped while adaptive within the uncapped zone will have little tearing and reduced input lag.

This enhanced sync sounds similar to Nvidia's fast sync. It's about time AMD put this feature in their drivers rather than rely on 3rd part software like Radeonpro.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Nice!! I was wondering if there was a better alternative to V-Sync if one didn't have a FreeSync monitor. I'll try this soon, I just hope that it is supported on the RX 470 too, and not just the latest 5xx series! :)

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So... it functions like when you leave vsync off...

"Unlike VSync, Enhanced Sync doesn’t lock the frame rate maximum to the display’s refresh rate. Instead, it uncaps the frame rate to reduce latency in exchange for some mild tearing." <---This is exactly what happens when vsync is off, unlimited frame rate but with tearing.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Where did you hear that Free-sync works with any new monitor? Adaptive-sync is an optional feature in the displayport spec, doesn't mean every monitor with displayport will support it.

G

Yeah, I also don't get how this is different than just regular non-vsync behavior. This is how all graphic cards work when v-sync is turned off.

jfkeenan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Fail. I'll stick with G-Sync. My ViewSonic 27" (2560x1440) at 165hz with dual SLI'd Titans plays like butter on a warm skillet. Mmm butter.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Fury Nano + Benq xl2730z + 17.7.2 = AMD FreeSync not supported bug.
Update: Weird stuff.. with previous driver FreeSync wouldn't work as well. Power cycled the screen, changed DP port, and now FreeSync is working with 17.7.2.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

In this case, there'd be no tearing at all. Then, why do AMD's own slides say "Minimizes Tearing" with Enhanced Sync on a FreeSync monitor?

In the case which you describe, it would only help a game engine which polls input in the same thread driving the renderer. You could just implement a game engine which reads input and simulates the game world asynchronously with the renderer. I don't know how common this is, but in highly lag-sensitive games, I'd be surprised if at least some didn't work this way.

The down-side of just naively rendering as fast as possible & displaying the latest is increased judder, meaning fast-moving objects would appear not to move at a consistent velocity. What you really want is for the game engine to estimate the earliest time a new frame can be displayed, as well as the amount of time needed to render the frame. Then, don't start rendering it until a little before the difference between the two. That minimizes display lag and judder. Better yet, if the game engine knows roughly when the frame will be displayed, you can extrapolate everything to that point in time, even further minimizing judder.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So rev2.0 of freesync still not as good as Nvidia. If people don't understand YET why Nvidia made a module themselves (and charges for it), you're missing the whole point of the tech (FIX the problems). AMD still is NOT solving the problems. Making a situation "better" or "FIXED" are two totally different things. I'll PAY for FIXED, but probably want "better" cheap or FREE - because it's still broke right?

We understand why NVIDIA made a module themselves - money. The problem at this point is not proprietary modules, but getting manufacturers to support all of the standards as they are written. Once standards are supported, AMD's Free sync is supported, as it simply leverages an already standard mechanism.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Admittedly, I'm neither an expert on FreeSync nor GSync. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate it if you could actually explain what problems AMD is not fixing, and furthermore how Nvidia is fixing them.

I like that FreeSync is based on industry standards and non-proprietary. That's reason enough for me to prefer it, even if it's inferior. I just wish Nvidia would get on board and support it, even if they continue to maintain GSync as a superior alternative.

manigma

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Enhanced Sync caused stutters and lag in Forza Horizon 3 and tearing in Tomb Raider. Normal Vsync is still great. I dont understand what amd did with this Enhanced Sync? At moment its useless. RX480/Win10.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I'm not sure if you're trying to say that *Nvidia* is saying that G-Sync is superior as marketing material (which they should be, because it's their own product,) or if *you* are saying that it's superior.

If *you* are saying that it's superior, what are your thought on this video please?
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CE-wSU1KMw"][/video]
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CE-wSU1KMw )

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I did say (above) that I'm no expert. However, I've read some credible-sounding claims that GSync does some things that FreeSync doesn't. If anyone cares to provide a case one way or another, please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.