News AMD Issuing USB Fix for Ryzen Chips, BIOS Patch Coming in Early April

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Yeah, when I reported this issue their reply was: we do not see problems and cannot reproduce problem.
And then one year later finally we have a fix.
Really hope AMD is not like Microsoft!

Colif

Win 11 Master
its a question of combinations, you can't test them all or you will never release a product. The amount of possible combinations of hardware for AMD is pretty large, and the one for Microsoft is even bigger. Problems that only hurt a small percentage of users are often overlooked.
The days of perfect release software are past, the internet gives them an out now. Almost nothing is finished before release.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Was hoping to make the switch to an AMD platform soon, and will be watching these updates carefully before making any kind of decision. Hope AMD realizes a fix is not just for old customers, but possibly new ones too.

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Was hoping to make the switch to an AMD platform soon, and will be watching these updates carefully before making any kind of decision. Hope AMD realizes a fix is not just for old customers, but possibly new ones too.
Why would AMD not patch the issue for new customers??? :unsure:

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
i dont know how long it takes for my comp to get to the win10 loading circle after i press the power button, i usually go get a drink or dinner after i press it :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
when i get back, im looking at the win 10 desktop

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
When are they going to fix >15 seconds BIOS post times? Intel motherboards post in half that time.
It's actually much worse when your POST is too fast. Gigabyte mobos have something like Ultra Fast Boot, and it's so fast that you can't even enter BIOS Setup any more because it is just too fast.

Reactions: Krotow

Colif

Win 11 Master
It's actually much worse when your POST is too fast. Gigabyte mobos have something like Ultra Fast Boot, and it's so fast that you can't even enter BIOS Setup any more because it is just too fast.

if you use win 10, you can get into bios.
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI Firmware Interface
PC will restart in bios

if you use win 10, you can get into bios.
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI Firmware Interface
PC will restart in bios

Will not help for ones with CSM boot. Had to do CMOS reset to two laptops where BIOS settings was not accessible otherwise anymore due to fast boot.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
It's a good idea to get rid of CSM boot, though. I had quite a hard time fighting BCD, GPT and all that stuff when I was migrating to a new SSD, but in the end it was worth it.

GPT is not hard at all. And it is possible to convert drive with MBR partition table to GPT in Windows recovery console or outside installed system from bootable recovery disks like Hiren's BootCD PE with AOMEI Partition Assistant / some Linux LiveCD with gparted. Only remember switch boot mode to UEFI in BIOS settings afterwards :)

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
In my case BCD was a real mess, with one MBR leftover boot partition, one EFI boot partition, both having BCDs referring to each other in a crazy chain loader style. I eventually had to rebuild the EFI BCD from scratch, remove the other partition and then move/resize/align everything. That mess was a result from several cloning processes in the past, and maybe upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The fact that the upgrade happened during the period when I had a faulty SSD didn't help either...

Yes, it is very time consuming. In your case full backup with partition table wipe, creating a new GPT partition table and OS reinstall seems faster and better solution. Windows activation restore automatically after reinstall.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Not if I have 10 years worth of applications, settings and whatnot. I think it would take me a week to get everything back up and running. Fixing everything manually, on the other hand, took me less than a day IIRC. Not saying it was easy, though...

Reactions: Krotow