AMD: It Won't Be About 'AMD vs. Intel' Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And in later news Intel raises the cpu prices by 200% over a 3 year period and Ivy bridge is delayed 5 years and after that its 33mhz increases for 1000$ each!

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I know Intel is top dog, but still, if they are this far behind Intel, how are they going to compete with anybody else?

Imagine how much better ATI would be doing if it didn't have to prop up AMD.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Good plan. I think coming to this realization is healthy for AMD. I love AMD but with the current line of Intel processors, there is just no compelling reason to buy AMD over Intel.

Hopefully this new strategy will help them become a leader with a different focus. I almost got a job with AMD a few years back, glad I didn't now since they just laid off 1,400 people ... ouch!

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I think its now intel vs ARM in mobile and server segment(in future) vs amd in mobile segment (in desktop segment amd is 2 step behind intel). I am waiting to upgrade my phenom ii x4 955 to any future amd good gaming cpu(if it is a proper replacement for current phenom ii)

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
The spokesman can call it whatever he likes. It´s a virtual capitulation. Let´s throw some prices for AMD shares. I´ll start: 30 cents.

overlof

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Epic I think. I had only AMD processors and I liked it for their prices tolerance all my life.
I think Intel may increase their prices without AMD rivalry. These news is very bad for usual customers I think...

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]rsktek[/nom]So Intel won... for good.[/citation]

it certainly would win for good if AMD have stayed focused on desktop CPUs alone

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]We are rolling over, because we are dead.[/citation]

AMD will be dead if they don't move on... they need $$$$$$ for R&D and desktop cpus market wont bring much profit with current line of desktop CPUs.

Can you blame them for focusing on other markets insted of desktop CPUs? I think not. They fight for survival, looke at their balance sheets....

sounds like amd threw in the towel in desktop x86 sector.
amd's moving on to untapped mobile sector is a good move. they succeeded in taking away some shares with their mobile llano and bobcat apus. they have a strong gpu division and an adequate cpu - their combined effort might result in cheaper and better laptops.
if nvidia successfully debuts their project denver, 64 bit arm cpu running windows 8, the cpu sector will turn into a three way competition with intel vs amd vs nvidia. amd also has a better chance to build a good and competitive arm apu. the future looks interesting.
best of luck amd.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What AMD should do is to not blindly follow neither Intel as they have been doing nor nVidia as it seem they will be doing but form their own unique platform. And here AMD is in a good position, they have an x86 license, they should use it to make ARM processors that can run legacy x86 code and combine that with their own take of a GPU into an SoC if they so desire. That will be a unique product.
And a product there will be a huge demand for when Microsoft finally release Windows for ARM since the only drawback of that platform would be lack of x86 legacy app compatibility. A processor that combine true ARM cores with a dedicated x86 recoder co-processor could be a game changer for AMD and will likely win them huge marketshares, if not even overtake Intel flat out.

pyoverdin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Well, at least we have the great moments to remember. I am thankful that AMD just existed, managed to pull off the Athlon XP and X2 series. But this is just a small period of time. Hopefully when Intel transitions to graphene, or maybe optical/quantum computer, another AMD will emerge.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Basically what i get from this is: Were going to continue doing what we've always been doing but we dont care if our chip wins 3 of 7 benchmarks (or whatever) against this intel chip and 2 of 7 against that chip. By saying that their focus is shifting, they aren't losing any competitions. I do believe that the shift to smart phone type devices is a smart one but the profit margins of the X86 chips (especially the opteron lines) is what will keep the company afloat.

Nakecat

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
AMD can still compete in mid-level with the right price, i hope they don't exit the market completely.

Also, ..... why the hell entering the DRAM market at all?

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Stop comparing us with Intel! :(
The fact we do x86 chips and Intel does x86 chips doesn't mean you should go out and compare the products.
Especially when our products are slower and less efficient!

And hey, please don't compare us to ARM either, because that'd be just as embarrassing,

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
If they get a foothold in another market, the tablet/smartphone market, it will increase their ability to compete with Intel in the desktop segment, as they will have much more capital to invest into R&D to create better solutions, in addition to furthering their experience with creating more efficient processors that can do more work per cycle (where AMD used to beat Intel into the ground).

I wish they would start moving into RISC processing in general, instead of beating the dead x86 horse any longer. As they said in Hackers in 1994, "RISC architecture is gonna change everything." AMD as a company already has experience with creating RISC processors from the late 80's, which is obviously not relevant now, but shows that they do know how to make something other than x86 already.

Status
Not open for further replies.