AMD Launches 65W Triple-Cores this Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
It's just as confusing as NVIDIA. First we have 8750 at 2.4GHz, now we will have 8750 at 2.5GHz. But, wait, there will be 8850 also at 2.5GHz! What's the difference between these 2.5GHz CPUs? We all know that the cache size will be all the same, so it's maybe 1800MHz vs 2000MHz HT? Never mind. The point is that if AMD wants to introduce new things, CHOOSE DIFFERENT NAMES.

onearmedscissorb

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
What confuses me the most is why the final 65nm tri-core still will not be even the same speed as the quad-cores are sold as, and why the Phenom dual-core is even lower.

Undoubtedly, they want to push the quad cores, but it really raises questions about how they're making these things. I know nothing about it yet, but I have to wonder if the first Phenom-based dual-cores are another result of what birthed the tri-cores: a malfunctioning product of some other sort that is castrated and relabeled, with the underlying issue publicly avoided.

I've been reading that the first Phenom dual-core will be labeled X2 6500+. And it's allegedly not faster than even the 6000+, though its name suggests its the successor to the 6400+. You're right chaohsiangchen, it is as confusing as Nvidia.

And yes nezuko, you are correct. I believe it's spelled "Hekka," though, or at least, that's all I've ever seen before. Get ready to see a lot of those. There are already more variations of the 45nm Phenoms than I can count off hand.

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
wait and see... i just hope i get more choices for a low power build... i still got eyes for AMD X2 4850e and 780G board.

LuckyRed

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Heka can refer to:

1) Heka (god), the deification of magic in Egyptian mythology

2) Lambda Orionis, a star in the constellation of Orion, also known by the traditional names "Meissa" and "Heka"

G

So I guess "the market is demanding energy efficient tri-cores" now? Do we really need low end dual cores, low end tri-cores and low end quad cores, black edition versions of a bunch of these and the vanilla versions in 100MHz (

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]cheap[/nom]...Do we really need low end dual cores, low end tri-cores and low end quad cores...[/citation]
Low end quad cores are OK IMO, they encourage the global multicore adoption and multithreaded programming practice.

weinheimer

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
If that 8750 will OC to 3.0 GHZ reliably and cost under $100 that will be an e7200 killer.

I need to make a low cost htpc but want full Blu-Ray performance. Right now the e7200 will be the cpu unless something better comes along.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
3 cores are going to present problems in OS's and Applications. But the benefit of these processors is you still get 64-bit processing, which Core2 doesnt support at all.

G

"But the benefit of these processors is you still get 64-bit processing, which Core2 doesnt support at all."

What the heck are you talking about? AMD fanboy, or just uninformed person posting here?

G

"...Do we really need low end dual cores, low end tri-cores and low end quad cores..."

Of course we do. We need it for all the computers to be multicore and for my htpc, period :p

Status
Not open for further replies.