AMD Launches Opteron Upgrade Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I see this as a benefit to AMD in the short term, even over the new Nehalem-based Xeons. A drop-in quad-core Opteron is a significant improvement over a dual-core, especially when the alternative is to upgrade anything-else to a brand new Xeon with a brand new motherboard and brand-new registered DDR3 memory.

While the move to an integrated memory controller was a must, Intel kinda picked a bad time to do it, but its not their fault for the recession.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Well, since it seems that there isn't a server socket replacement anytime soon, this is great news for server management as they can buy new processor and then pop it to the old board. Afterwards, they can buy a new board with the processor they bought earlier. Better than upgrading all at once I'd say.

deltatux

I like that, you don't need a new motherboard to upgrade your Opteron Rack or workstation board. It would be cool to buy a dual socket F board and mem off eBay and still have it work with the 6 core CPUs. Now that will do your video encoding while running a few virtual servers ^_^.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Old news, I read this on HardOCP, and DT earlier this week. However it does sound like a good idea, even giving these companies some $ off the purchase of the new CPU. Still cheaper to upgrade than buy new, this seals it for many companies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I see this as a benefit to AMD in the short term, even over the new Nehalem-based Xeons. A drop-in quad-core Opteron is a significant improvement over a dual-core, especially when the alternative is to upgrade anything-else to a brand new Xeon with a brand new motherboard and brand-new registered DDR3 memory.While the move to an integrated memory controller was a must, Intel kinda picked a bad time to do it, but its not their fault for the recession.[/citation]
The new Nehalem based Xeons support EEC memory but do not require it.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Isn't Nehalem-based Xeons about 50% faster than Shanghai? I think AnandTech did a comparison a while ago.[/citation]
Aren't Intel fanboys 50% more prone to making guessed percentages?
Ah, I guess so.

Status
Not open for further replies.