AMD: Llano Is An Intel Shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
If they pull this off, we'll very likely begin to see a shift in the portable market as well. High-end laptops with i7 + discrete graphics and mainstream with llano. This may well be an AMD year!

G

Not going to believe until I see real data. It might be true but all this waiting and "its so good" stuff could be part of building suspense and marketing. If its really that amazing than it would reassure that Intel will continue to have a strong competitor to keep prices down.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Llano will definetely make for some interesting entry and mid-range laptops. Finally an IGP fast enough to compete with entry-level mobile discrete graphics. If the price is right, I think they have a mainstream winner on their hands.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Nows the time to by AMD stock...just closed at 7.59. I bought it when it was $2. I was telling everyone who would listen about the strong product pipeline of graphic cards coming out.

Sure glad I listened to myself. =)

AMD says that huh. I wonder if they compared it to Atom. More than likley but we shall see.

All the "leaked" Llano benchmarks I have seen pitted againts SB do not show such favor.

I will wait till real benchmarks come out and not something AMD states.

4745454b

Titan
His comments don't show that it will be a performance monster. I read it as its performance per watt figures will be better then what Intel has. Just because they can do more with 40W then Intel can doesn't mean its going to be the performance leader.

Still, from what we know so far these should make good laptop parts for once. Nice to see AMD finally get something in that market that performs really well.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Stop saying its better than Intel, they need to show us its better. Why they just show us live benchmark that its actually beating Intel. Stupid speculator. I think they know that their processor of 5 year publicity old is a fail. From the leaked benchmark ive saw in cinebench my old q6600 beat it...

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I bought a really cheap AMD laptop, and the CPU features that AMD has plus the standard Radeon graphics makes up for a lot. Intel has the habit of disabling certain CPU features. So, they are very good on the low-end for laptops, even though they probably do suck up more electricity compared to Intel's offerings

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
IPC CPU race doesn't matter anymore, see tablets and smartphones? It's the whole package that matters.

Llano brings Deneb performance, more than enough for 95% of their target userbase, major win for OEM's, win for SCII/WoW players.

srgess
Most benchmarks was with useless ES samples. There's one with retail product:

http://bit.ly/kLZtxy

A best of it's class. No more shi*tty intel HD2000/3000, nvidia GT220/420/430, that HD6555 oblitarates them all. Obviously this is not a high end product but for $300-800 OEM pc's it's unbeatable.

+free performance when added a discrete gpu

HD6670 + IGP HD6550 (hybrid CrossFire) = HD6670 + 60%

With that kind of package intel doesn't stand a chance. Also HD6550 improves the previous 780/880G mobo IGP by a factor of 9-10x. Crysis playable at fine details @720p.

Games/OpenCL

OEM PC
i5 2500 (HD2000) < i7 2600K < Llano A8
i5 2500 + HD6670 < i7 2600K + HD6670 < Llano A8 HD6650 IGP + HD6670 discrete CF

90%+ of OEM pc's dont use any discrete gpu above HD6670 level of power.

G

Shin-san: Totally agree, I have an entry level Athlon II laptop at home and a latest-gen Core i5 at work, if there is a difference, I can't tell...

Besides, the only reason AMD laptops have inferior battery life is because OEMs "fail to optimize", aka sabotage the AMD laptops. Presumably, Intel is paying them to do it, much like they've paid OEMs to screw AMD before.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Hey, the Octo-core Zambezi is gonna be $320. That doesn't bode all too well for per core performance.

As for Llano... meh. Now you need a dead end socket board to get decent intergrated graphics? And the leaked pricing, isn't too exciting, either. It looks like they priced in the cost of a 5570 onto a Deneb CPU.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Tr0llzilla
Some OEM's tend to use low capacity batteries for AMD mobile systems(sites like anandtech conviniently ignore that). Since Fusion Zacate/Ontario that change.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Seem you dont know what this means...

Intel high end stuff doesnt bring them money. Is the mid/low end customer side. Same with discrete gpu's.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Who gives a shit about an APU? Let's see AMD show us ANYTHING to compete with intel's high end stuff. Intel is just laughing it's ass off. Let's see some 3rd party benchmarks...until then it's just BS like it's been with AMD for years.[/citation]
The high-end market isn't what AMD is aiming for. They NEED to increase their profits, which means improving their mainstream and entry-level products. The high-end market provides little to no ROI due to low sales figures.

G

Lazy writer is too lazy to follow a link.
Quoting the footer: "Intel Retail System – Intel Core I3-2310M with Intel HD 300 Graphics, Chipset Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset family, 4GB/1333MHz System Memory, Windows 7 64 Bit, 62 Whr Battery" - the only error being "HD 300" instead of "HD 3000".

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
OMG, to hell with power consumption... when is AMD gonna release something that can top Intel's best CPUs? Oh, wait, they said we must "wait for Bulldozer", whatever it is. Meanwhile, I think I'll keep on with Sandy Bridge, minus the need to be concerned with power consumption.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Funny how any AMD article brings out the old school fanboy's where they sit and wait year after year for another Athlon K7 comeback!
They also secretly put AMD stickers on their Sandy Bridge PC's! :)

Let's wait and see the benchmarks!
(Might be awhile like Bulldozer videos released 2 years ago?)

Status
Not open for further replies.