AMD Making Money, Sells 6 Million ATI DX11 GPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It's a bad news for GFX industry.

nVidia is away from competition and AMD is going to play badly on the GFX market soon as they did in the CPU market in 2005/2006.

Come on nVidia, wake up!

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
As long as AMD/ATi don't just sit on this cash flow and pump it back in to the RnD departments for future lines, then this is good news. If however, they pay a few debts and ride the current success then I see a much longer period of decline than the recent/current period of success. My point is look at mthe last 10 years of AMD. They were way ahead on Intel for a time but failed to really take it any further and that left the door open for Intel to come back at them, and boy, did they ever. The Core2 range was astonishing and AMD is only just about clawing the scraps off Intel's plate even though their current processors are actually pretty good. So lets hope the ATi side of things continues to push forward.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]spoofedpacket[/nom]That won't show up on this site unless Nvidia is taking a significant loss. Either that or they just want to post an article with 4 pages of nothing but butthurt.[/citation]

Biased nvidia fanboy is biased. Tom's links their statements so I am sure it will show up if it was news: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-financials-GPU-quadro-tegra,9703.html

Did you forget all the new articles that where nothing more than pics of boxes of the new GF400s already or just care to block it out because the facts get in the way of your opinion?

Both companies are at an awesome point: AMD was smart to make sure their process had the integrity to move forward where Nvidia did not. Nvidia is making groundbreaking and perhaps industry changing technology advancements where AMD does did not want to invest the money because they do not feel it will help them sell their product. Me, I am holding out the storm with my 4850 until price competition is in full stride so I can reap the benefits and then it will be any company that offers the best performance per watt per dollar.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Actually, Nvidia's net income in 4th quarter of fiscal 2010 was $130 mil., which is roughly as much as the AMD.
And we must consider that AMD is also making CPUs.

siliconchampion

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
My 5870 is treating me just fine. Glad to be supporting the Red team. Don't get me wrong, I own an 8800GTX, 2 GTX 260's, and I have had a 4830, 4850, 4870, 4890, and now the beast! 5870 FTW!

I just hope they are able to turn things around on the CPU side, I am awaiting some good reception with the Phenom II X6's and hopefully Bulldozer as well.

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I have a 8800 gts 512 for years, because of the performace, but from what I read about Nvidia:
- disrespectfull way of doing bussiness like disable features of ati cards.
- etc etc

I am going to buy a ATI card. I just hate lying people/companies....

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]6 million is not that much at all.[/citation]

Yes it is considering AMD have been until very recently the only company supplying DX11 chips to the market and they have been selling all their top end models at maximum capacity since October to date.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]Actually, Nvidia's net income in 4th quarter of fiscal 2010 was $130 mil., which is roughly as much as the AMD.And we must consider that AMD is also making CPUs.[/citation]

4th qtr Fiscal 2010? You gotta be mistaken. Its only April 2010.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I was a long time nVidia lover. Granted, the last card I had was an 8800GTS 640MB version, and it was a great card, I just recently built a new PC and upgraded my HTPC.

My new PC has a 5870 and my HTPC has a 5770 in it. I couldn't be happier with the purchases. The features packed into a 5770 are unbeatable for an HTPC (Vapor-X version is nearly silent, perfect for HTPC) and the raw power of the 5870 is excellent. I don't see jumping back to nVidia for quite some time.

kannan_mr16

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Good to know they sold 6 million units.
i have one of that,but cannot use it because of terrible driver.
Always getting a BSOD fatre installing the ATI driver,please fix it and you will have my business next time.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]If however, they pay a few debts and ride the current success then I see a much longer period of decline than the recent/current period of success. My point is look at mthe last 10 years of AMD. They were way ahead on Intel for a time but failed to really take it any further and that left the door open for Intel to come back at them, and boy, did they ever.[/citation]

That's one way to look at it. You could also argue they had 10 good years during which they could have built a financial buffer, but failed to do it. Capturing market share is all good and essential, but in this case when Intel's success with Core series came, AMD was already at financial dire straits.

Even in the best case, this is a temporary respite. Hope AMD gets it's CPU game back in track as well.

phenom_x8

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
6 million?? wow, thats a lot of potential. But why still everybody thought pc game dying. for Developer, dont expect those 6 million will buy your game if you dont even bother to maximize those dx11 feature. Mind that!!

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Devs don't give a rats patoot about dx11 generally speaking,they are all to caught up in making money selling console ports,the games out now that have dx11 features are just patched to support them so they can put one more check box in the marketing column.

G

Yes, availability in western Europe still sucks major ass monkey balls on ice. It is a pain to see so many available on for instance Newegg and have zero in stock here. The ones that are up for sale come at inflated ass prices. But it's good to see that AMD is back on track, sort of. I hope they can really make a difference with their Bulldozer generation.

CaptainBib

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Good news, now hopefully Nviida will come back and start a price war...

What will be really exciting though is the next generation of cards, Nvidia will probably shrink Fermi and up the clocks, but who knows what AMD will do

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Wow, after seeing how poorly the Fermi scored on the benchmarks it really was only a paper tiger. Well, looks like I'm getting a 5970 Eyefinity 6 when they are are out!

Good job AMD, I hope the 6 core CPU's come out soon also.

G

The thing is that AMD and ATi are one. Intel and nVidia are not. Which is why AMD will triumph.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I glad to see AMD back on there feet =D making money. I was worried for a while there but have keep with AMD thought all the ups and downs especial the downs of the AM2 and AM2 + (in my opinion a huge let down (went thought 3 of them processors) But at the end of the day cant justify Intel's insane prices for what little improvement you get for overall performance not worth it. AMD might not lead the cutting edge with there chips but that's ok cause neither do there prices

G

I don't see AMD catching up to Intel at all. I love AMD but Intel just has too much cash to throw around.

Status
Not open for further replies.