AMD May Introduce Ultrabook Alternative Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowingbass

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Current ultrabooks have less than decent IGPs. If the CPU performance is on par with first gen i5 or i7 this will be a formidable machine to beat for intel.

pc574

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
They never said they would not compete with Intel. They said they would not compete with them in creating desktop CPU's.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
I think that with their successful APUs, AMD will pull this one off better than Intel, unless OEMs ditch AMD. AMD's APUs will provide a more cost effective and balanced solution than Intel's platforms. :)

cool! i was hoping trinity or llano would compete in the ultrabooks against sb and ivb, but zacate is no newcomer in the ultraportable field. amd's igp and gpus have always put them ahead of intel's igp. not to mention they deliver capable products at prices intel never delivers (4 core mobile cpu under $500).
amd's recent success in the mobile arena will help them even more. intel will not be able to go crazy with prices while amd is competing.
screw all the talk about not competing, amd vs intel is always good.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Finally! With their low cost and good performance AMD based ultratype books will be the one to get. If AMD works with OEM's to pull this off Intel is going to be hard pressed to compete here. Maybe AMD can take the money it'll make and build a decent desktop processor gamers want; aka non-bulldozer fail.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Llano should make a killing in the notebook sector. Sandy bridge has too much cpu and not enough gpu power for common every day application usage (gpu accelerated video playback, etc).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]Finally! With their low cost and good performance AMD based ultratype books will be the one to get. If AMD works with OEM's to pull this off Intel is going to be hard pressed to compete here. Maybe AMD can take the money it'll make and build a decent desktop processor gamers want; aka non-bulldozer fail.[/citation]

yea... id rather them spend money getting the single core performance up on future revisions of bulldozer because in mulitcore it easily competes at its price range with intel.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is excellent news and should be good for consumers by generating actual competition in the ultra-thin market that seems to be gaining momentum.

I would strongly consider one of these to replace my wife's anemic Atom based netbook.....

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Pc makers have been looking for something to compete with the Mac Book Air and this is going to be it. I like how AMD is starting to switch gears in their marketing. They need this to turn things around. Even thought they won't be able to compete directly with Intel for the cpu crown, they will be able to compete with them in the user market with products like these. Most typical pc users don't care if something is blazing fast, all they care about mostly is doing typical task and battery life. If it can surf the net, watch youtube videos and play blu ray movies with a decent battery life if you use a protable device, that's all a lot of typical pc users care about.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pc574[/nom]They never said they would not compete with Intel. They said they would not compete with them in creating desktop CPU's.[/citation]
they will compete with "APU" instead of "CPU" in the future ;)

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
If they make a decent laptop at an affordable price, then I'm in.

For the name: how about "Slim-Book"? that would be a good laptop for "Slim Shady".

Also, it would be nice to see an ARM based APU from AMD. Isn't it time to "retire" the X86 architecture?

One problem that I see would be the HDD, since SDD are still expensive.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
This is very, very good for the market. Go go go!

On a related note, is the sandy bridge IGP really THAT bad that it can't play 1080p content smoothly?

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
ojas
Yes, its is that bad, worse image quality, can't even play 23.976fps video without dropping frames like the EU economy.

Even the AMD 780G (the real HD3200) plays those videos flawlessly, and it's from 2008. Also with that IGP you don't get graphical corruption/glitches in games vs intel crappy graphics.

On the other side Llano HD6550D built-in gpu is 3-4times faster than the worthless intel HD3000. It's even worse than the lowest end of APU products.

greyelf

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
@Filiprino
Where could you POSSIBLY live that you cant get an AMD based laptop shipped to you?? Just go to Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, and the the list goes on and on and....

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]greyelf[/nom]@FiliprinoWhere could you POSSIBLY live that you cant get an AMD based laptop shipped to you?? Just go to Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, and the the list goes on and on and....[/citation]
Well, I can get AMD laptops, but fusion laptops are still very rare and brands that in other countries offer personalized configurations here were I live they don't do that so it's their way or highway.

G

I hope that AMD will not clip the potential of this by dictating with minute detail how to design this and instead leaving it to the OEMs to be creative. I will foreseeably have one lone computer for when on the go or at home, so I rule-out MacBook Airs because it is SSD-only with integrated graphics. The first crop of Ultrabooks I've seen underwhelm me with too-small screens, integrated graphics and only middling-processor options. I can't see why it would be so difficult to have a notebook with full-size screen, desktop-replacement-grade CPU/GPU/HDD/RAM expandibility in a

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]This is very, very good for the market. Go go go!On a related note, is the sandy bridge IGP really THAT bad that it can't play 1080p content smoothly?[/citation]

No, I have a sandy bridge, it has more than enough to run 1080p stuff just fine even without my video card. But anything else that requires more graphics power is terrible, not a prob since i run a seperate vid card. BUt those thin laptops dont use discrete cards, they rely totally on the igp, and AMD stomps a mudhole in intel atm when it comes to IGP's. I bought a very small laptop recently and made sure i got an AMD apu, its not even a higher end one and it runs most every mainstream game i throw at it, not maxed, but runs em amazingly well.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Yes please AMD. Intel sandy bridge may be particularly brutish when it comes to pure processing grunt, but AMD IGPs are the mutt's nuts when it comes to owning a light gaming machine... I would prefer a decently balanced CPU/GPU setup over a CPU heavy / GPU weak setup. Esp for what you're most likely to be using an ultra thin laptop for (web browsing, office work, maybe a bit of light gaming... definitely nothing as intensive as 3D/photoshop work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS