AMD May Introduce Ultrabook Alternative Next Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hahah..Yeah right AMD APU's are not balance because they have 1/2 the CPU power which is a big problem.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]j1234[/nom]Hahah..Yeah right AMD APU's are not balance because they have 1/2 the CPU power which is a big problem.[/citation]

Sure, but if you're in for a bit of gaming, I think you'll find that intel's IGP is totally let down by the GPU side. Whereas with AMD IGPs, the GPU part is faster than Intel's solution, but still not let down by AMD's inferior CPU performance.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
While I think this is great, and I'm currently writing this response from an AMD powered notebook, I think AMD is lacking the power efficiency that Intel currently has. But hopefully the updated Zacate APU will allow the AMD "ultrabook" to last more than 4-5 hours. Right now current ultrabooks or MacBook Airs tend to last 6-7 hours with moderate usage. AMD needs to match that if they want to compete effectively.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Uberragen21
Any E-350/E-450 based notabook has a battery life with moderate usage in the 5-10hours. HP DM1 E-450 last for about 7hours with normal use.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
My brother's fiancée's mother (sorry) just bought a TOSHIBA Satellite C670D-11K. It's an E-450 laptop... albeit with a 17.3" screen. 4.5 hour battery life isn't bad, but at that size, it just seems like pure madness.

+1.
lol your post sounded a bit like those 'my x's y's z makes $abcdefgh an hour by working on internet....' posts. i read the first four words and thought waitaminute...
anyway, amd apus have had success there. intel core i3 and i5 laptops with 17" screens are usually costlier. hell, sometimes even <14" ones are costly. but amd apus with larger displays cost less and sometimes you get goodies like bluray combos. not to mention superior gfx with good cpu.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Yeah, it didn't start particularly well, did it? :p I'd actually forgotten about those spam posts for a moment and was more concerned with how wordy I was making things; one of my failings, sadly.

I have heard of 17" Brazos laptops a few times before albeit not having seen them, but I'd hope to see more Llano ones in the mix than those powered by a CPU smaller than my little finger's nail, incredible as it is. :) Even so, a lot of people are still running Pentium-M or Celeron-M 15 to 17" laptops at 1.5 or 1.6GHz and, whilst even the E-450 won't beat those in single-threaded apps, the whole experience should still be a fair bit smoother, offering superior battery life and much improved multimedia capabilities. Also, a 17" Llano laptop would do very well, assuming the battery isn't something stupid like 44Wh. For example, I just did a check and the TOSHIBA Satellite P775D-S7230 (what IS it with these long code names?) is one such machine - a Llano A6 setup with 6GB of RAM, similar specs to the aforementioned Brazos model, but with a silly 48Wh battery.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214416

Status
Not open for further replies.