News AMD Mendocino APU's Leaked Slide Alleges Just Two CUs

InvalidError

Titan
Can't expect much (other than extreme cost, power and performance reduction) from Atom-class SoC.

If you want a big (relatively-speaking) IGP, wait for the 7000G/Phoenix series and its mobile counterparts.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
It is meant to be cheap, so why would it have lots of processing power? I think this is good enough for basic office usage, watching movies, playing old or 2D games or even by streaming with Steam Link, Parsec or other online services. Want big? Pay big, this is not for you.

That said, I think 4 cores is the minimum these days, a dual-core Zen 2 would be underwhelming even for basic usage.

InvalidError

Titan
It’s already here since months, with Ryzen 6000 on laptops.
Rembrandt may be a decent step up from other IGPs but still falls short of most entry-level GPUs including the RX6500. The Phoenix leaks and rumors on the other hand suggest its IGP could be powerful enough to make anything slower than an RTX3060 or RX6600 obsolete.

I don't know why people are complaining. Not everything needs a beefy GPU.

Most laptop buyers use it for Web Browsing, photos, office work and emails. This processor is plenty more than enough for students, business office workers, and people that simply need a general purpose laptop for things other than gaming. This will serve a vast majority of the productivity market. especially with 10+ hours of battery life.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Rembrandt may be a decent step up from other IGPs but still falls short of most entry-level GPUs including the RX6500. The Phoenix leaks and rumors on the other hand suggest its IGP could be powerful enough to make anything slower than an RTX3060 or RX6600 obsolete.
Leaks and rumors aren’t really relevant in a discussion, if you want a powerful IGPU there is Ryzen 6000 now or consoles :D. Steam Deck isn’t bad either. We will talk about a more powerful APU if and when it’s released.

I don't know why people are complaining. Not everything needs a beefy GPU.

Most laptop buyers use it for Web Browsing, photos, office work and emails. This processor is plenty more than enough for students, business office workers, and people that simply need a general purpose laptop for things other than gaming. This will serve a vast majority of the productivity market. especially with 10+ hours of battery life.
Because some people want the low end or mid range APU to get top of the line iGPU. that way they can entirely ditch the need to buy discrete gpu. It is an idea that AMD not interested to entertain.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Because some people want the low end or mid range APU to get top of the line iGPU. that way they can entirely ditch the need to buy discrete gpu. It is an idea that AMD not interested to entertain.
And that’s why I’m very sceptical they will ever release a “powerful” APU aside from consoles, which obviously don’t count for PC users. They have no interest to produce a big APU chip, anyone who wants more power can buy a discrete GPU. And for those who don’t, the regular APU with up to 12 CUs is easily enough. It’s over 50% faster than 5700G which already was able to play games. It’s just not released for PC desktop yet.

InvalidError

Titan
anyone who wants more power can buy a discrete GPU. And for those who don’t, the regular APU with up to 12 CUs is easily enough.
Pretty sure there will still be plenty of people stuck in the wasteland between wanting something better than IGPs and the $500+ "mid-range" GPUs AMD and Nvidia are trying to force the market into because they want to raise their gross profit margins to infinity and beyond thanks to their oligopoly situation.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Pretty sure there will still be plenty of people stuck in the wasteland between wanting something better than IGPs and the $500+ "mid-range" GPUs AMD and Nvidia are trying to force the market into because they want to raise their gross profit margins to infinity and beyond thanks to their oligopoly situation.
Prices have relaxed, you can either get a 6500XT at 180-220 bucks or, what’s better, 6600 for about 330-400 depending on model and 6600 XT / 6650 XT is a bit higher than that. Nvidias cards are still expensive (here in Germany, I didn’t check US), but cards like 3060 Ti aren’t a bad deal if you want DLSS and other Nvidia features. The issue with Nvidia is, that their cheapest card, 3050, still costs over 300 bucks, which is just bad for a low end product, so you’re either forced into APU and waiting or 6500XT if you don’t have the money, but I would simply wait and buy a 6600 then, the 3050 isn’t worth it at over 300.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
The RX6500 is garbage, only marginally better than $150 GPUs from five years ago. If effective competition still existed today, it would belong in the $100-120 ultra-low-budget tier and the RTX3050 would be ~$200.
It would most certainly not, the costs to produce it are even higher than that, you can dream about buying a modern 7nm GPU in 2021/2022 for that price, or it will be 16nm garbage with outdated tech. Same goes for 3050, it’s already minimum price more or less. I will play a rare devils advocate here. And you have a habit of not reading complete posts it seems, as I specifically recommended the 6600 and not 6500 XT but keep picking my posts apart if it suits your agenda.

InvalidError

Titan
Source? Plus source for the rest of the GPU including G6 with 18 Gbit/s.
The cost of processed wafers is public data, simple math from there. You can cut about 500 usable 100sqmm chips per 10k$ 7nm 300mm TSMC wafer, which is $20 per bare die. 4GB of GDDR6 should be about $30 (it was around $10/GB a year ago and memory prices have gone down ~20% since) and it doesn't have to be premium high-density 18Gbps either, 128bits at 14Gbps would be better for performance and not change the total PCB cost in any meaningful way. For the rest of PCB and support component costs, we're still talking the same TDPs and other figures as other slot-filler GPUs that are still selling new near the $100 mark, so little to no net change there as well.

There is no cost-driven reason for the RX6500 to cost more than $40 extra above the GT1030, $25 of which being for the 2GB extra RAM and the upgrade from G5 to G6.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
The cost of processed wafers is public data, simple math from there. You can cut about 500 usable 100sqmm chips per 10k$ 7nm 300mm TSMC wafer, which is $20 per bare die. 4GB of GDDR6 should be about $30 (it was around $10/GB a year ago and memory prices have gone down ~20% since) and it doesn't have to be premium high-density 18Gbps either, 128bits at 14Gbps would be better for performance and not change the total PCB cost in any meaningful way. For the rest of PCB and support component costs, we're still talking the same TDPs and other figures as other slot-filler GPUs that are still selling new near the $100 mark, so little to no net change there as well.

There is no cost-driven reason for the RX6500 to cost more than $40 extra above the GT1030, $25 of which being for the 2GB extra RAM and the upgrade from G5 to G6.
I don’t agree at all, see I’ve already expected this post.

First of all you didn’t provide a source, your source is “trust me bro”, sorry not acceptable.

Secondly, even if I accept your estimations or guesses, AMD and Nvidia aren’t in the market to sell the GPU for manufacturing costs. Making and developing a GPU also costs, this will drive the price exactly to where it is today, about 180-200 bucks minimum.

Third, you don’t seem to be that well informed on the 6500XT, as reducing its bandwidth further to just 14 Gbps down from 18, would lower its performance a lot, it only has a 64 bit bus and needs that bandwidth to function properly, aside from 16MB IC and PCIE 4.0, unless you lower the graphics settings and prevent the GPU from reloading texture assets, being mandatory.

Fourth, if the user knows what he or she is doing the 6500XT is easily capable enough. It’s not “garbage” like you mentioned. But of course many people discard the card solely for its 64 bit bus without really understanding how the GPU works and not even giving it a proper chance, so very expected in a tech forum, but not a good thing nonetheless.

Anyway, I’ve already debated this topic at lengths in YouTube and other outfits, and not gonna explain everything again. So this will be my last answer, and it’s off topic anyway. :) Suffice to say, you’re 100% wrong, the 6500 XT is a low margin card.

InvalidError

Titan
First of all you didn’t provide a source, your source is “trust me bro”, sorry not acceptable.
Do you know what public data means? It means look it up yourself if you don't already know. It should be common knowledge for most people who come here, especially those who pretend to know better.

Third, you don’t seem to be that well informed on the 6500XT, as reducing its bandwidth further to just 14 Gbps down from 18, would lower its performance a lot, it only has a 64 bit bus and needs that bandwidth to function properly
If you actually took a second to understand what you were replied to, you would have understood that 128bits @ 14Gbps is far superior to 64x18. You are free to doubt my claim that this would have little to no impact on manufacturing cost despite 25 years of historical data showing that cheap GPUs with 128bits memory interfaces have been a thing for a very long time, likewise for full x16 PCIe.

Fourth, if the user knows what he or she is doing the 6500XT is easily capable enough. It’s not “garbage” like you mentioned.
It is garbage when you consider that the RX580 delivered similar or superior performance for the same or cheaper price and 8GB of VRAM five years ago.