AMD Not Looking to Wrestle ARM (Maybe Later)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Makes sense they don't have the time or money to invest into this right now. Any company that diversifies too much ends up loosing. Sometimes it's not good to have a company that does "EVERYTHING." I love AMD and hope this choice works out for the best.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
It would be nice for them to get into it in near future... Especially when, they can implement their CPU+GPU solution on tablet/netbook/smartphone market.

In any case, GO AMD!!!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I notice AMD says their main business opportunities are PCs and Servers. While technically Apple makes PCs, Apple has also done as much as possible to try and separate itself from the term 'PC' (See commercials). Is this a hint by AMD that the possibility of an Apple deal went south?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]AMD needs to compete with intel first. They haven't done a good job of that in a long time. Thumb me down all you want...truth hurts.[/citation]
what? they've been doling out competition for years, and where they fail at performance, they make up with pricing.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
if they cant even get into the notebook/netbook market how can they jump to the smartphone market. they need to recover from intels practices that caused them to behind in the PC market before anything.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
AMD is smart. Become a master at your own market first, then once achieved, diversify. They are simply working on perfecting their own market before they consider the challenges of another. Patience is a quality AMD is wise to use and I agree with them. :) Besides, can you imagine what 2011 will bring by way of their new lineup. You never know, if it goes well enough, as some in this thread have said, we might see bobcat or similar flavor chip end up in a smart phone, but only after it proves its worth on the battlefield.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
AMD to me is a company that does things incrementally, kinda like Intel as well. It's not the IBM model where you have giant leaps. I think it's smarter to transition to netbook and then start heading for mobile

G

AMD has worse CPUs than Intel in the server/pc market.
AMD has more expensive, less energy efficient, and slower CPUs than ARM in the smart phone market...

The only thing AMD is good for is to just make sure that Intel is not the only one in the market, and prevent a further price climb, other than that, their tech is useless. Their 12 cores are worse in HPC than 6 of intel's i7 cores.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Its all about core competencies. Kudos to AMD for not trying to over extend themselves into markets they aren't ready for *cough* NVidia *cough*

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]MarketBlaster[/nom]AMD has worse CPUs than Intel in the server/pc market.AMD has more expensive, less energy efficient, and slower CPUs than ARM in the smart phone market...The only thing AMD is good for is to just make sure that Intel is not the only one in the market, and prevent a further price climb, other than that, their tech is useless. Their 12 cores are worse in HPC than 6 of intel's i7 cores.[/citation]
Pics or it didn't happen. In other words, cite you statistics instead of spewing out that drivel.

Everything I have read says that the Opteron 12 core, is marginally faster at HPC than the Xeon. Given the fact that I can get the Opteron for less money, and add more RAM to it for approximately the same price as the Xeon, your statement, sir, is idiotic.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2978/amd-s-12-core-magny-cours-opteron-6174-vs-intel-s-6-core-xeon/13

Give AMD props for sticking by what they do best. They say they aren't going to compete right now.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]MarketBlaster[/nom]AMD has worse CPUs than Intel in the server/pc market.AMD has more expensive, less energy efficient, and slower CPUs than ARM in the smart phone market...The only thing AMD is good for is to just make sure that Intel is not the only one in the market, and prevent a further price climb, other than that, their tech is useless. Their 12 cores are worse in HPC than 6 of intel's i7 cores.[/citation]
thats why for data mining companys wont even touch intel and the 6-12 core AMD CPUs are better and faster at data mining by a noticable margin

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
2011 should see AMD take the performance crown Out of order execution if done right will rip through Intels market segmnents like wild fire, think of a 1watt idle CPU thats 2-3 times faster than an atom with a 5xxx integrated chip, finally you will be able to play games on a nettop and have longer battery power!

Status
Not open for further replies.