News AMD, Nvidia GPUs Could Be More Affordable Real Soon

InvalidError

Titan
GPUs may be more affordable soon, but will there be more available? Let's hope so.
The two go kind of hand-in-hand: prices are dropping because cards are in stock often enough that most people prefer taking their chances buying direct instead of paying the scalpers' asking price, so scalpers have to drop their prices to get rid of their inventory.

There is apparently a post out there from a scalper's friend who said his friend used to net $1000+ per GPU after covering all costs but now he is only $100 ahead. If true, then scalping is well on its way to not being worth bothering with anymore.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
The other day I managed to manually cart AND order an Asus Tus 3070ti sold by Amazon / Shipped by Amazon at the (still high) $950 MSRP. Amazon shows a Sept 6th expected delivery though. So either I got very lucky, or the bots are starting to thin out.

I don't mind the Sept 6th date... Gives the Evga 3080ti I Queued for time to pop.

InvalidError

Titan
The other day I managed to manually cart AND order an Asus Tus 3070ti sold by Amazon / Shipped by Amazon at the (still high) $950 MSRP. Amazon shows a Sept 6th expected delivery though. So either I got very lucky, or the bots are starting to thin out.
Not sure what part of this is lucky, retail prices will likely be well below this by the time it ships. Amazon is allowing people to order stuff it won't be receiving anytime soon probably hoping many people will forget to cancel their order to get the current price at that point.

Reactions: salgado18

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
If prices are lower, that's what returns are for. (though I highly doubt I'll forget to canx the order if I get an EVGA card first). If crypto spikes again, at least I'm locked in.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I don't mind the Sept 6th date... Gives the Evga 3080ti I Queued for time to pop.
Awesome. Only 58% higher than a founders edition. Assuming those ever actually shipped in any meaningful quantities.

Reactions: thisisaname
Jul 8, 2021
From what I've seen quite a few people have also decided to put less priority on gaming.
Gaming is a money pit these days, not to mention that they're hardly ever stellar upon launch due to all the bugs and hacks.
With components becoming so excessively overpriced and little or no availability, I see a lot of people finding other distractions or sticking with their same setups.
Graphics have reached a level where pretty much all games are acceptable looking, a good example of this is Counter strike, it can run on a potato and looks great.

Jul 10, 2021
The resolution to this is incredibly simple!

First let's face some truths and realize the difference between a need and a want. I won't argue this here--google is your friend. I will say, with a few exceptional and extraordinary circumstances, none of us 'need' the top end GPU or CPU and none of us 'need' to upgrade on a yearly basis. The majority does so for epeen and will never stress their super build past 30 or 40% load,-- and that is being polite and generous.

Combine that with advancements with cloud storage, chip size and cooling the solution becomes obvious.

Stop building desktops, stop buying components at 450% over MSRP. Buy a laptop with a dedicated GPU. You may not have the biggest dick on the block to brag about but you will have a fully capable system, in which will also have extra, in most cases, slots to add more local storage and ram to beef it up. The bonus is you can do it cheaper than it would cost you for the highest end GPU for your desktop.

friend.