News AMD, NVIDIA Shut Out as Intel Eyes $52 Billion CHIPS Act Windfall

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also good to note that using multiple fabs to build a product is something they are all planning for. So a company asking Intel to make part of their multi-chiplet design isn't out of the question.

Basically everyone but Nvidia joined. They want to push NVLink over silicon.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
It would not be in Intel's best interest to upgrade their facilities to support NVIDIA/AMD. Intel has never played nice. You know this, I know this. You assume just because they can, doesn't mean they would, because it becomes counter to their own interest of making the most profit and eliminating healthy competition by acquiring more market share.
No, I don't know this. These mega corporations aren't run by fanboys. Competing companies do business with each other all the time. Nvidia just switched to Intel CPU's in their recently announced Hopper based DGX systems. If it makes financial sense to Intel, they will do it. They won't do it because they can, they'll do it if it makes them enough money.

Reactions: KyaraM
No, I don't know this. These mega corporations aren't run by fanboys. Competing companies do business with each other all the time. Nvidia just switched to Intel CPU's in their recently announced Hopper based DGX systems. If it makes financial sense to Intel, they will do it. They won't do it because they can, they'll do it if it makes them enough money.

You're missing the point. But I'm done here.

Travelinmanyeah

Prominent
Jul 27, 2022
Does no one else know about TSMC's FAB 21 being built in Arizona??? I'm sure it's one of the reason's Intel is building a fab in az as well.
You got it backwards dude... Intel had fabs in AZ since the early 80s and some of their largest and most advanced fabs are already there today. TSMC is building in AZ for that reason - there is already a huge infrastructure and talent pool TSMC will poach from.

Travelinmanyeah

Prominent
Jul 27, 2022
Duh, of course Nvidia & AMD are shut out. This bill is targeted specifically at keeping manufacturing/fabs on American soil with an American company. Apple, NVidia and AMD are design houses and manufacture mostly with TSMC, a Taiwanese company. With PRC breathing down Taiwan's neck, there will be a major semiconductor supply chain disruption should PRC start any aggressions towards Taiwan. It's also a major national security issue if the US gov't and defense industry must rely on Asian manufacturers for their semi manufacturing.

And then there is the economic interests at hand. Intel is talking about up to a $100 Billion investment in Ohio. That's a hell of a lot of good paying tech jobs created, plus all the support and service industries & businesses that will flourish in that area creating even more jobs and tax income. Is AMD or NVidia doing any investments anywhere near that size in the US? No... And it is also a possibility that these CPU design only houses could become customers of Intel with the foundry services ramping up....

Status
Not open for further replies.