[SOLVED] AMD Optimised, is it baloney?

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
So I badly need to upgrade my ram. I have upgraded to a 5600x, this needed a new motherboard. I kept my old ram thinking, oh it will be fine.
Previously I had an i5 7600k, 16GB ram. I had two sticks rated for 2400mhz and 2 for 2666mhz. (this is because when I first built pc I went with 8GB 2400mhz, but I could not find identical ram sticks so went with 2666mhz), anyways it worked fine in my intel system.
Come AMD, I am getting random crashes when just watching youtube videos. Went to event viewer and it is the WHEA LOGGER thing.
EVENT ID: 18
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

At first, I thought this was either a fault with the motherboard and CPU, as I bought them second-hand. But I really think it might be the ram.
When I first put everything in, it crashed just randomly, I updated my chipset drivers and it hasn't crashed since.
I have overclocked the CPU too, I was gaming on it all day yesterday, ran cinebench for 2 hours and it was stable. (used curve optimizer, messed around with PPT, TDC and EDC)
But today, it just randomly crashed, multiple times within the space of 10 mins. I took out two ram sticks (the 2400mhz ones) and it seems to be running fine as I'm writing this.

Anyways, as im shopping for ram, I see AMD optimised ram and just "optimsed for bandwidth and response times".
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SQCZSS8?th=1 - Optimised for bandwidth and response time
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SQ3BQ2S?th=1 - Optimised for AMD

My brain is telling me to go with optimised for AMD but i feel like this is just a gimmick and not actually make a difference, + the other one is cheaper by £1 and comes in one day (as opposed to 2) 😆
Which one should I go for?

Mod Edit - Language

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Ryzen, unlike your 7600K, is very much connected to ram for performance and proper operation.
Not all ram will work properly.
Not only do you have ram not from the same kit, but they are demonstrably different.
I am not surprised that it does not seem to work properly.

Buying a new kit of the capacity you need is a good idea.
To answer your question, "AMD optimized" seems to me to be marketing fluff.
Buy a supported kit.
Check your motherboard ram support QVL list.
Use the chart that supports your processor.
Buy the exact part number from the list that you want.

Not all supported ram will show up on the motherboard list.
If you have a favored ram vendor, they will also have a support chart that you can check.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Why do you think Cinebench is a stresstest? It's a synthetic benchmark, nothing more. Games are generally even poorer stresstests.
You messed around with an overclock, didn't check stability even once and you are surprised it crashes.
Hello! Basics!

About AMD optimized, I don't know if it is a marketing term or whatever, I haven't ever cared. And I only use AMD CPUs. Ryzens have been out for 5-6 years now, if your RAM isn't optimized for Intel and AMD at this point, what are you doing as a memory seller?
I bet it's like Dual-channel. Dual-channel RAM! Come and get it! Meanwhile it is not even up to the RAM if it runs in dual-channel or not. It's up to the motherboard and which slots you populate.

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
Why do you think Cinebench is a stresstest? It's a synthetic benchmark, nothing more. Games are generally even poorer stresstests.
You messed around with an overclock, didn't check stability even once and you are surprised it crashes.
Hello! Basics!

About AMD optimized, I don't know if it is a marketing term or whatever, I haven't ever cared. And I only use AMD CPUs. Ryzens have been out for 5-6 years now, if your RAM isn't optimized for Intel and AMD at this point, what are you doing as a memory seller?
I bet it's like Dual-channel. Dual-channel RAM! Come and get it! Meanwhile it is not even up to the RAM if it runs in dual-channel or not. It's up to the motherboard and which slots you populate.
I think cinebench is a stress test for my system. I doubt I ever will expose my CPU to heavy multi-core workloads, all I do is game on this machine, maybe with future plans of streaming. Hence why I think cinebench is a suitable "stress test" for my machine, I didn't just apply an overclock and hoped it worked, I did get lots of crashes while testing the overclock and kept the settings that were stable for me (negative 15) for the curve optimizer. As long as it doesn't crash during the most intensive multi-core workloads, I'm okay with it.
I want to mention, I did get these sorts of crashes before applying any sort of overclocking, but I reinstalled the chipset drivers and it was fine. I doubt that the crashes I just got were due to the overclock being unstable, all I was doing was watching some youtube videos!

How much are you undervolting with Curve Optimizer? Please list Mobo & PSU. 5600x memory controller can easily handle past 3600mhz RAM. You should let PBO2 handle the OC and undervolt slightly via Curve Optimizer and tighten the RAM manually(stress test per change) for best results.

To me it sounds like undervolt is causing instability.

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
How much are you undervolting with Curve Optimizer? Please list Mobo & PSU. 5600x memory controller can easily handle past 3600mhz RAM. You should let PBO2 handle the OC and undervolt slightly via Curve Optimizer and tighten the RAM manually(stress test per change) for best results.
My current memory is rated at 2400mhz. It is old. I am buying a new ram kit. I have set the curve optimizer on negative 15. I have an Asus Strix x570 f gaming and an EVGA 650w 80+ gold PSU.

Ryzen, unlike your 7600K, is very much connected to ram for performance and proper operation.
Not only do you have ram not from the same kit, but they are demonstrably different.

Buy a supported kit.

If you have a favored ram vendor, they will also have a support chart that you can check.

Reactions: klaudmjj
Solution

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017

Buy a supported kit.

Brilliant thank you, ended up going with the first ram I mentioned. It's not on the QVL list but I assume this is because it's a new ram from corsair. The non-SL version was on the QVL list and I assume these are the same modules. Can't believe how much my issues ram can cause! Oh and forgot to mention, the ram is the "same kit", same company, same shape, just different speeds, and timings. Hopefully, this new ram will fix the crashes.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I think cinebench is a stress test for my system. I doubt I ever will expose my CPU to heavy multi-core workloads, all I do is game on this machine, maybe with future plans of streaming. Hence why I think cinebench is a suitable "stress test" for my machine, I didn't just apply an overclock and hoped it worked, I did get lots of crashes while testing the overclock and kept the settings that were stable for me (negative 15) for the curve optimizer. As long as it doesn't crash during the most intensive multi-core workloads, I'm okay with it.
I want to mention, I did get these sorts of crashes before applying any sort of overclocking, but I reinstalled the chipset drivers and it was fine. I doubt that the crashes I just got were due to the overclock being unstable, all I was doing was watching some youtube videos!

If your PC crashes when you are pretty much idling, like watching Youtube, it's usually too much negative on the Curve Optimizer. That's the most recognizable characteristic of it. Works fine with Negative 15 or whatever value under heavy load but when the load on CPU is low, it crashes. Not to mention, you should really do it per-core. Which is why I can't be bothered.

If your CPU and system is not stable under EVERY load, it is not stable, period. Different games put different loads on CPU. Ubisoft games in general are good at putting a load on all threads. Let's say you play a Ubisoft game and it crashes. Why did it crash? It could be your CPU OC, your RAM, it could be the game, it could be your GPU drivers. It's a process of eliminating variables. If you can start off by eliminating half of them by having a stable system, it becomes a lot easier. You could roll back GPU drivers to a known good version that hasn't crashed for a year. At that point, it should only really be the game causing it.

In the above example, you would have to redo the overclocking all over again.
Instead, you should do it right, so you only have to do it once. Imagine if you had overclocked RAM too. You would have to spend a week or more, redoing both CPU and RAM OC.

Last edited:

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
If your PC crashes when you are pretty much idling, like watching Youtube, it's usually too much negative on the Curve Optimizer. That's the most recognizable characteristic of it. Works fine with Negative 15 or whatever value under heavy load but when the load on CPU is low, it crashes. Not to mention, you should really do it per-core. Which is why I can't be bothered.
I May have figured it out the hard way, I've put the new ram in, nothing crashed for the whole day. Randomly decided to crash again while basically idling. Reset all bios settings to default, and messed around with the overclock again.
Put curve optimizer to -15, passed both multi and single core on cinebench. Took it down to -20, instant crash. Back to -15, crash again(weird how it didn't crash the first time). On -15 I was able to get 4.6ghz on all cores with PPT on 110, TDC on 90, and EDC on 140 at a comfortable temperature (70c on full load around 55-60 when gaming)
The same settings on -10 on the curve optimizer gives me like 4.53ghz. I can bump it up to 4.6ghz but temps become a bit too hot for my liking, around 80c on full load, and I don't think it's worth the extra 70mhz.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I May have figured it out the hard way, I've put the new ram in, nothing crashed for the whole day. Randomly decided to crash again while basically idling. Reset all bios settings to default, and messed around with the overclock again.
Put curve optimizer to -15, passed both multi and single core on cinebench. Took it down to -20, instant crash. Back to -15, crash again(weird how it didn't crash the first time). On -15 I was able to get 4.6ghz on all cores with PPT on 110, TDC on 90, and EDC on 140 at a comfortable temperature (70c on full load around 55-60 when gaming)
The same settings on -10 on the curve optimizer gives me like 4.53ghz. I can bump it up to 4.6ghz but temps become a bit too hot for my liking, around 80c on full load, and I don't think it's worth the extra 70mhz.

Mm, I didn't bother with Curve Optimizer. What would it give me, 50 Mhz? That's like 1% extra perf for a days work. RAM OC gives me a lot more. And that is more fun, in my humble opinion. A lot more to learn and fiddle with.