AMD or Celeron

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
whatever if u want the most stable reliable system by the intel chip and put it on a intel board. performance wise (if you'll even notice) the athlon will be faster.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Listen, he wants a computer for basic stuff not GAMING. Every processor has a purpose, and the Celeron is very good in this area. You will not notice the differnce in speed when using the Celeron in these kinds of tasks. Hell, a Celeron 2.4GHz will open up InternetExplorer and MediaPlayer just as fast as a P4 2.4C (maybe a few milliseconds slower but not noticable), and the P4C processors trounce both Celeron and AthlonXP processors in all around performance. So, there nothing wrong with the Celeron if you're gonna use it within it's limitations. Most of you guys are mad cause someone might buy an Intel over an AMD. Now that's pathetic. Ozzit, go to your local computer store and play around with a comparable Celeron and Athlon system and you'll see my point.

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
There is nothing wrong with buying a P4C (or even B) instead of the AMD equivalent (which is usu. slower), but Celerons are crap.

AMD versus Intel has nothing to do with; Celerons are crap.

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Again, you're missing my point CaptainNemo. When you're talking about basic computer use, non-GAMING use, there is nothing that a Athlon can do that the Celeron can't, so I don't see why the Celeron is crap. Just because it's not the best gaming CPU doesn't mean it's crap. Of course for gaming it is "crap", I wouldn't buy one if I wanted a gaming system, but this is a different scenario.

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
But if you ever decide to use the comp for anything else, you will regret buying the slower CPU.

The Celeron is likely to become useless quicker than an Athlon too. I was stuck with a PII300 for 4 years until I upgraded; I was glad that my parents bought the quickest CPU they could afford instead of something much slower for the same price.

The only rational reason for buying a Celeron instead of an XP it its integrated heat spreader...

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i know the tully boards can be expensive, but i always bought mine off ebay,40.00 each, and was careful about what chipset they had, they were all via chipsets, which most people dont like as well but i never had a problem with them, i still have 6 machines out there that i built and sold and they have no probs with them and really love them! they are great for what they are used for, and like the guy said, its an OFFICE machine! you could "what if" it to death! what if he wants to play a very graphic intense game later on? well...what if he DOESNT??? dont beat the guy up for his decision...its his to make, nuff said, (this being aimed at the detractors, not you pIII_Man:)

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
> Celeron is very good in this area.

BS. The P4 Celery isn't good for ANYTHING. The P3 Celery was a pretty fair chip all in all. A 2.4 Celery chip will *not* even come close to comparing to a P4 2.4c at *anything*. As a general rule, I buy Intel over AMD when building machines if price isn't the issue (I prefer to work with a chip with a ceramic heat spreader personally, I find the chips aren't quite as sensative about the heat sink being perfectly flat), but *anytime* it comes between a Celery and an AXP it's going to be the AXP. Current celery doesn't provide enough performance at anything to make it a good choice.

I'm not speaking of gaming or not gaming, this isn't amd vs intel, this is crap no-cache vs decent chip. I'd suggest a fast p3 over a celery up to about 1.5x the clockspeed of the p3. I'd suggest *almost* anything over celery. They flat out reek like hell.

Shadus<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shadus on 11/06/03 08:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
> whatever if u want the most stable reliable
> system by the intel chip and put it on a intel
> board. performance wise (if you'll even notice)
> the athlon will be faster.

Boy we're having a plague of clueless newb fanboys lately.

Shadus<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shadus on 11/06/03 08:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Listen, he wants a computer for basic stuff not GAMING. Every processor has a purpose, and the Celeron is very good in this area. You will not notice the differnce in speed when using the Celeron in these kinds of tasks. Hell, a Celeron 2.4GHz will open up InternetExplorer and MediaPlayer just as fast as a P4 2.4C (maybe a few milliseconds slower but not noticable), and the P4C processors trounce both Celeron and AthlonXP processors in all around performance. So, there nothing wrong with the Celeron if you're gonna use it within it's limitations. Most of you guys are mad cause someone might buy an Intel over an AMD. Now that's pathetic. Ozzit, go to your local computer store and play around with a comparable Celeron and Athlon system and you'll see my point.
This is EXACTLY where you are wrong. Although you may have a point, this guy has the opportunity to spend exactly the same amount of money, and buy either a product which is good ONLY in everyday apps, or a product which is good in BOTH everyday apps AND gaming. Both products cost the same amount of money! Hmmm .. which one should he buy!?!!!! Are you stupid or something? If ATI offered a package with the Radeon 9800 XT inside along with 5 free games for $450 and another package with the Radeon 9800 XT inside and no free games for $450, which one would you choose? !!!!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
for fear of going to via, i have run my tullies in a bx chipset with tualatin -> slot 1 adapter and i have modded my cusl2-c to run a tualatin too. The tusl2 would have cost 2x as much as my cusl2.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Man, this is a great thread!!! I have a good time LOL!!!

Pitsi, if TTZX can understand your example, he is a lost case :lol: ! That guy has a problem, I think is named "objectiveness". The lost of "objectiveness" of course. Of common sense, of understanding, of logic.

We have found the missing link of man's evolution!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

G

>The XP 2000 gets too hot, crashes, is very slow, and cannot
>run Adobe Photoshop 7 on Win 2k without crashing a few
>times. But the most worrying thing is that it sumtimes
>resets itself!!! The p4 1.7Ghz gets too hot, is kinda slow,
>and crahes as much as the Athlon.

Maybe you should try installing a HSF, and replacing win 3.11 with Win2000 to fully appreciate your computers :|

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i never had stability problems with win 3.1 never had experience with 3.11 though...

But ya if you have that many unstable computers then you are doing something very wrong.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I would sell Intel to my clients and AMD to my friends.

Does anyone understand that logic? Take two PCs, Intel and AMD.

If the AMD crashes, your client will say something of the likes of: "This farking piece of shyte AMD is the worst investment I've ever made!"

But now if the Intel crashes, he'll say something in the likes of: "Dammit, must be a virus or a Microsoft bug." Because what is the chances Intel can do anything wrong? [Said with sarcasm, before I get flamed]

Joke for you guys, like it if not, it's only a joke:

If the Intel Celeron was a car, Intel would boast that 90% of them is still on the road. Amd would come back and say: "Hey, and the other 10% actually got home."

But it is true that if anything goes wrong with an AMD PC, AMD will be blamed. So only for that part I'd recommend a Celeron to someone who doesn't know where the Enter key is. For the rest with a brain/experience, the question have been answered too many times.

__
At this rate we'll all be going to hell. But at least I have box seats.